Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
I love to skydive
17,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got an email from my senator today that had this in it. I figured since it was a mass email, there's nothing wrong with sharing it. Now I fully understand that it will never happen, but it is interesting. Just as long as pensions get cut out too. You should represent your country because you love it. Not for money and law making.

What are Yalls thoughts?

Dear Friend,

Whenever I meet with Louisianians, I see the ocean of difference that exists between families and businesses back home and politicians in Washington. Louisianians can see that Washington works in a way that families and businesses couldn’t imagine

That’s why, on the first day I could introduce legislation to this new Congress, I took a fundamental idea that I’ve been advocating since my days in the Louisiana state legislature, and introduced it: term limits. Call it Potomac Fever, or whatever you’d like, but the longer some folks are in Washington, the more taxpayer money they want to spend.

Click here to watch my recent interview discussing term limits on Fox Business.

My bipartisan legislation would limit U.S. Representatives to three terms and U.S. Senators to two terms in office. Applying term limits to all members of Congress would require an amendment to the U.S. Constitution. As a constitutional amendment, it would require a two-thirds majority vote approval in the House and Senate and must be ratified by three-fourths of the states.

I know it sounds like a lot of work, but I know it can be done. Term limits are something I successfully fought for, and won, in the Louisiana state legislature – where we’ve since seen real reforms – and I’ll continue fighting for them in Congress.

Not allowing politicians to remain in office for an eternity is one step we need to take to make Congress more like the world back home. I believe that this common-sense reform can help bridge the gap between Congress and the American people.

I’m interested in hearing your thoughts on how we can help more Louisiana families with the issues important to you. Please contact me with your ideas at any of my state offices or in my Washington office. You can also reach me online at http://www.vitter.senate.gov/public/.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
PhD in Procrastinology
4,897 Posts
That's laughable. Not the letter but the idea that reps and sen are basically going to "vote themselves out" of office. Let me clarify...I am 100% FOR term limits but the chances of that happening are about as good as JohnC giving all of his guns to me...love for it to happen, not holding my breath.

·
Registered
6,093 Posts
While the idea sounds good there are some that actually do good and sometimes that good takes more than a few terms to make happen. I'm for holding their pay if they don't produce. I'm more than happy to keep re-electing my congressmen/women as long as they are being productive and representing us the way they said they would. I'd also like to see a law passed that makes it a crime if any of them profits from their tenure in congress, i.e. insider trading, influence peddling, etc.

John

John

John

1 - 9 of 9 Posts