Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Zoolander
7,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question. Did you notice you were having alternator problems in the heat or comfortable or cold type of climate?

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
I havent noticed....

wait I dont have a termi:lol

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
could be. what did you see over on SVTP?

·
Zoolander
7,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
didnt go over there...was hoping to get some answers here first.

·
Not a Rational Car Guy
38,186 Posts
I heard it just doesn't matter the temp. When it's going, it's going...

·
Zoolander
7,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well the heat might be wearing them down prematurely. If you think about it. The location of the alternator is a prime spot for heat damage. It is underneath the battery tray. You don't get good airflow, and it is in a tight spot that can build up heat. I'm noticing most of my problems with it when it is comfortable or warmer outside. In the cold it runs like a champ.

·
Registered
627 Posts
The reason I've read they go bad is because of the location and heat like you stated. From what I've read about the problem is the parts in the alternator are soldered into placed instead of beind tack welded. The extreme heat coming from the engine gets hot enough to soften the solder and the parts start coming out. The alternator has the tendency to go out without warning. My stocker died on me at 31000 miles and the battery light never came on. I replaced it with a NAPA unit and that one died in about 2 weeks, roughly 100 miles after install. This one the battery light would go on and off periodically. I have since replaced it with another NAPA unit and this one has been doing fine for about 3 months. If I have the problem again I will be going to Ford to buy a stocker. Hope this helps.

·
Zoolander
7,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you go to Ford it will just be a rebuilt one. They don't make the alternator for the 03-04 Cobras anymore

·
Registered
627 Posts
I didn't know that. They guy from Ford told me it was a brand new and not rebuilt unit. There is a guy that rebuilds them, but I can't remember his website. The members on svtp swear by him though. If you search it there it shouldn't be too hard to find. I asked CMY4D which reman alternator was the best to get since he had recently had the same alternator problem, and he said the NAPA unit.

·
Registered
577 Posts
get a "start n charge" unit and never look back!

·
2009 ROTY
5,646 Posts
mine went out, but it was a few years back, and honestly i do not remember if it was warm or cold out. from what i read it was just a common problem. i bought a remaned one from steve at tousley ford and its held up great since then. however changing it out is a fun process! the write up on svtp is great though, follow it!

·
Not a Rational Car Guy
38,186 Posts
I've heard PA Performance makes a good replacement for the 03/04's.

·
Registered
9 Posts
the alternator problems on our cars isn't due to heat or cold...its from being spun too fast, if you put a larger metco pulley on them you will be worry free...

·
Registered
577 Posts
That's the one I was thinking of, just couldn't remember the name.
Jamie is great to deal with. I replaced mine with his unit (plus the wiring upgrade is top notch) after my battery was going out and my alt was testing a little low. Figured replacing it before I was stuck on the side or the road was a good thing. I have had zero issues since with his alternator and have no doubt that if I do have any issues he will take care of it quickly.

mine went out, but it was a few years back, and honestly i do not remember if it was warm or cold out. from what i read it was just a common problem. i bought a remaned one from steve at tousley ford and its held up great since then. however changing it out is a fun process! the write up on svtp is great though, follow it!
No doubt. Once you know the couple little tricks from the first swap any future alternator removals are easy.

I've heard PA Performance makes a good replacement for the 03/04's.
From what I have been hearing on the forums is that many people had good luck to begin with but have been reporting a failure rate that isnt any better than stockers.

the alternator problems on our cars isn't due to heat or cold...its from being spun too fast, if you put a larger metco pulley on them you will be worry free...
yes and no................If you have an aftermarket lower a correctly sized alt pulley is a must!!!!!! However many people running stock boost (stock upper and lower) have the same alt failure issues as people running all kinds of mods. The huge amount of heat being up under everything and right next to the exhaust manifold start the process. overspinning it on top of that is a sure fire way to finish it off.

That is why Jamie's start n charge alternators use heavy duty parts and are welded not soldered like cheaper units. Give jamie a call. He will explain to you in detail what parts fail due to what.

·
2009 ROTY
5,646 Posts
yeah, from what i read, any lower pulley larger than 2lb, needs an alternator pulley swap. but otherwise, the failure rate seems to be high wether the car is modded or not. that said, i have had a 2lb lower on my car for 2 years now, and the alt was replaced just before the lower was added, and its held up fine.

·
Registered
577 Posts
yeah, from what i read, any lower pulley larger than 2lb, needs an alternator pulley swap. but otherwise, the failure rate seems to be high wether the car is modded or not. that said, i have had a 2lb lower on my car for 2 years now, and the alt was replaced just before the lower was added, and its held up fine.
I have a 2lb lower on my car also but just for added insurance and in case i want to swap to a 4lb I run a 3.2 alt pulley.

·
Registered
627 Posts
The guy that runs start and charge from what I have read is a stand up guy. However my Cobra is my DD so I couldn't not have it down long enough to get one from him. There's plenty of cases on svtp where guys with low miles and stock cars have gone through alternators. Mine died at 31000 miles, and I have only had the 2.76 on for about 5000 miles. Once you swap it out once you're a pro at doing it the second time around.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts