Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
missippi roolz
9,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any suggestions on ways of making the heat exchanger opening on the terminator bumper more appealing? The Mach 1 I just picked up is N/A and isn't going to be getting a supercharger anytime soon since I just spent all my money on the car itself so that suggestion will be no good to me. Anyway, the opening going straight to the radiator looks pretty damn ugly. Has anyone seen any ways of cleaning that area up without the heat exchanger? CJPonyparts has a grille that covers that area that looks pretty good in the picture on the site (FOR 5017B Mustang Grille Insert Upper Mesh Grillcraft Cobra/Mach 1 2003-2004 | CJ Pony Parts) but I'm not sure how it really looks. And its freakin expensive for what it is. I don't want anything ghetto looking like a billet grille, just something that perhaps covers the ugliness of the big open area.

·
KCCO
5,980 Posts
Man, even though I wrote in the post that this wasn't an option, its the first response :facepalm:
False. You said you wouldn't be supercharging it. No mention of turbo ;)

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Just take any metal mesh sheet from a hardware store...
Even done right looks like crap. You can thank our ricer friends for ruining that one.

·
Registered
255 Posts
You could try cleaning up the radiator support with a color code matched aerosol can from automotivetouchup.com. I've used them twice and they match paint really well. Then find a stencil of something you like("Ford", "SVT", whatever) and paint it onto the condenser, so that it shows through the opening. Anything would be better than that mesh IMO.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
They sell paint match spray cans at my local Napa and Autozone.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Trade bumpers with me? Problem solved!

·
missippi roolz
9,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You could try cleaning up the radiator support with a color code matched aerosol can from automotivetouchup.com. I've used them twice and they match paint really well. Then find a stencil of something you like("Ford", "SVT", whatever) and paint it onto the condenser, so that it shows through the opening. Anything would be better than that mesh IMO.
Hmm. Perhaps...

Trade bumpers with me? Problem solved!
Haha, sorry bro, looks as though your car is the wrong color.... :D

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
I've been saying this for ages and I'd like to see someone follow through with it. It's cheap and easy.

Get yourself some cardboard, a big sheet of aluminum, probably something light like 22-26ga, and basic hand tools.

Take the cardboard and make a template to cover the bottom part of the radiator core support. Have it line up perfectly with the core, then bend under the support, essentially making a big "L" shape. Poke a few holes well out of sight of the lower opening that line up with the existing holes.

Now transfer this template to the sheet of aluminum. Mark the outline, where the crease in the L is, and where the bolt holes are. Cut it out with tin snips. Put the bend in it by clamping it to a table with the bend at the edge, then crease it by pushing down on the free end. Drill holes where it's marked.

Then go out, spray paint it either color matched, matte black, or gloss black. Install using some small sheet metal screws into the core support. BAM. awesome core support, and it will cost you maybe $10 at most.

·
Mr. Stangarang
2,620 Posts
The only thing that belongs in the bumper opening is a giant front mount intercooler.

This is a picture from before I had the turbo in and the piping has changed to accomodate my fog lights but you get the idea ;)

·
missippi roolz
9,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The only thing that belongs in the bumper opening is a giant front mount intercooler.
Believe me, I understand that. Unfortunately, the previous owner had the cobra bumper on there and there is no way in hell I'll be having another $6k to spend on this car.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Put a giant running pony in there..

Kinda like the grille delete but giant size.

We could call it the "heat exchanger/intercooler delete"

/sarcasm

·
missippi roolz
9,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Put a giant running pony in there..

Kinda like the grille delete but giant size.

We could call it the "heat exchanger/intercooler delete"

/sarcasm
Haha, sure am glad you put that in there. I almost went to a local machine shop to have them machine me an 18 inch long running pony:rockon

1 - 17 of 17 Posts