Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 2000 mustang gt .I plan on dropping a custom built 04 cobra engine in it .what would I need to do to get it clone ?I'm new at this by the way I'm going to be purchasing a mmr short block 4.6 600 HP modular block

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Why do you need a MMR600 shortblock if your dropping a 04 Cobra motor in it? The cobra shortblock is stronger then the MMR600.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
our cars have the same exactly block as the cobra. The cobra's internals are stronger then the MMR600 is. If you were dropping in a cobra motor, but wanted beefier internals, Id get the MMR 900 or higher rotating assembly.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Minus the crank since the cobra's are forged

·
Registered
890 Posts
A termi engine is good as it comes. Unless it's messes up from the inside. Then I recomend a new rotaing assembly excluding the crank.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So just get forged internals for my 2v? even though 4v engines are better.what should I go for ?

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Your confusing me so bad lol. You said your dropping a 04 Cobra engine in your car. An 04 Cobra motor is 4V with a forged bottom end. Best of both worlds. The Cobra motors are rated for 750rwhp, but people have gotten them into the 900's and even seen a few 1000rwhp TT cobras on the stock bottom end.

So if thats the case, dont bother with the MMR600 ****. Theres no point. Your basically downgrading the cobra motor.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My bad I'm confusing.let's start all over I have 140,000 miles on the engine I want to go supercharged making at least 450 rwhp .do I need forged internals then go s/c?????

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
I would deff go forged crank rods and pistons for any high hp build but it gets kind of pricey

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
My bad I'm confusing.let's start all over I have 140,000 miles on the engine I want to go supercharged making at least 450 rwhp .do I need forged internals then go s/c?????
For 450rwhp, a centri blower and a set of cams will hit that. May not be that safe, and probally wont last long. A set of forged rods/pistons and crank would be your best bet. If you were looking at the MMR600, I would spend the extra couple hundred for the 900, or even 750. Just for peace of mind, and if you get bored you can make more power and not worry about the rods. I think the only difference between the MMR600 and 900 is going from I beam rods to H beam rods. I could be wrong.

But yea I was confused because you mentioned a Cobra motor going into your GT.

·
Banned
7,007 Posts
Before you do any kind of a build I'd suggest you hang around here for at least three months reading people's threads and figuring out exactly what you want to do. Buy Sean Hylands books and read those.

I jumped into a centri blower on my GT and about a year later realized that's not what I wanted. That was an expensive mistake. So I spent a few months planning out my car building and figured I wanted: a forged bottom end and PD blower, twin pump fuel system, bigger front brakes, and a six speed, etc. So I sold my centri kit and bought a wrecked '03 Cobra and took all the stuff I wanted off of it.

If I'd have done that in the first place I would have saved a lot of time, money, and headaches.

No offense, but you thought an MMR 600 was as strong as an 03/04 Cobra engine because they used the same block. Not trying to be a dick, but you have a lot to learn. So did I when I joined the forums, but just hang around and read and you'll figure out the guys to take good advice from and you'll figure out your build. Just have to patient, which sucks... but it gives you time to save up money so you don't have to skimp on parts.

Best word of advice is to take your estimate of what things are going to cost and multiply it by at least 1.5 Little things always add up and blow your budget. Ask me how I know...

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm planning on purchasing forged rotating assembly from mmr the ones on the mmr short block 600 ,then some camshafts stage two from comp cams,in the future 2.1 kb supercharger.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
I agree with everything dcook said.

I wouldnt **** with MMR600 rotating assembly, for the extra couple hundred, its well worth getting the MMR900 assembly.

With cams, a KB 2.1, 9.4:1 compression and a good amount of psi, youll probally be close to maxing out the mmr 600.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts