Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
13,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you know I busted up my front facia the other day and had to use a bunch of screws to patch it up. http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/2005/135207-well-its-worst-than-i-first-thought.html Anyways got my new one today. Ordered it Wednesday. Anyways I had to test fit it before I got to work prepping and sanding so here's a quick pic of it. I will try to post up as progress is made. I really want to try my new paint booth to see how well it works but it will be about a week. Looks like about 6 to 8 hours of prep before I can spray it.

I'm going to shower up and head to the Poker room to see if I can recoup the cost of this thing.

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
hell yeah...that looks sick as hell where did you get it from?

·
Registered
13,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hell yeah...that looks sick as hell where did you get it from?
Stage 3 Motorsports, Street Scene Generation II. Good group of guys there. 3 days and it was at my doorstep. It was less than $100 more than an OEM replacement and then I would have to get a new chin spoiler too, so I thought it would be the best way too go. I think I'm going to have to fab up a lower grill insert and I think I'm going to go along the lines of the inserts I made for the side scoops to keep a little bit on continuity.

so I see you went ahead with the street scene. looks good. 6 to 8 hrs of prep and new paint booth you say? :popcorn
Well my last painting effort with my Steeda Street Wing was ruined by a few pieces of dust so I went to Lowes and bought some 2" PVC pipe and some 3-way joints along with some plastic sheeting and Mickey Moused a little hut/tent like set up. It's easy to break it down and it stows in the corner of my garage without taking up too much room. In theory it should work OK but we'll see. I think I'm getting pretty good at this painting ****. It's all about the prep. If it works as well as I think it will, I'm going to rip off the stripes and do a custom stripe job.

The quality of the Street Scene piece was OK, but not near the quality of Cervini's or CDC, but I'm not too disappointed. I think when you go aftermarket you have to always expect a little bit of custom fabbing. The cut outs for the signal lamps is going to be the most work to make it sit flush and even against the lens cover, otherwise it was pretty much what I expected.

That is gonna look HAWT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nice one Boss!
Thanks man. I almost went with the Roush but I wanted something unique and I just see too many of them around.

·
Registered
13,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's a daytime pic with better lighting. I'll probably pull it off on Tuesday and start prepping it. One issue I didn't think about was that you have to grind down the rivets on the stock piece that the signal lamps clip to and transfer it over to the new facia. I'm going to have to figure out how to mount my signal lamps back into the stock facia while I prep the new one. anyone got any ideas?

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Yeah, I did the same thing. Just clean the inside of the front fascia and use some of that metal duct tape. The good stuff costs more than the regular tape, but it will work for you. Or you can just use screws and nuts for the insert that had the rivets and just unscrew them when ready to install the new fascia.

Listen bro, I have the same Gen 2 fascia...great choice by the way. Here's a few things I can tell you about it. You know the foam under the bumper that's on the bumper support? It fits in a little channel on the support. Fill the rest of that channel all the way to the headlights. Use some high quality foam similar to what's there now. It will keep the bumper cover from sagging low in the area just before the headlights. I got a gap under the grille and this fixed it.

Another thing is the very bottom of the fascia in the lower opening just under the bumper part is that hollow section where the lower grille would be. Stuff some of the foam padding inside that void to keep it from sagging too. After the foam is in place run about 4 stainless sheet metal screws up through the very bottom of the fascia (under the car in front) so the screws go up into the foam to keep it in place. I also had to do a lot of grinding to make them inserts for the side marker lights to fit properly. That will be the biggest pain in your ass, but you'll get it.

I love the look and I hope you like it too.

Reactions: 07 Boss

·
Registered
13,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I did the same thing. Just clean the inside of the front fascia and use some of that metal duct tape. The good stuff costs more than the regular tape, but it will work for you. Or you can just use screws and nuts for the insert that had the rivets and just unscrew them when ready to install the new fascia.

Listen bro, I have the same Gen 2 fascia...great choice by the way. Here's a few things I can tell you about it. You know the foam under the bumper that's on the bumper support? It fits in a little channel on the support. Fill the rest of that channel all the way to the headlights. Use some high quality foam similar to what's there now. It will keep the bumper cover from sagging low in the area just before the headlights. I got a gap under the grille and this fixed it.

Another thing is the very bottom of the fascia in the lower opening just under the bumper part is that hollow section where the lower grille would be. Stuff some of the foam padding inside that void to keep it from sagging too. After the foam is in place run about 4 stainless sheet metal screws up through the very bottom of the fascia (under the car in front) so the screws go up into the foam to keep it in place. I also had to do a lot of grinding to make them inserts for the side marker lights to fit properly. That will be the biggest pain in your ass, but you'll get it.

I love the look and I hope you like it too.
Thanks for the tips Anthony. I was looking at those parts of the bumper and already thought about using foam to fill it in. It does sag a little bit in a couple of spots. What kind of foam did you use? Was it just pieces that you cut down to fit or that stuff you spray in there and it expands to fill the gap? It seems like I have to take away a lot of material around the side markers, more than I am comfortable removing. I would hate to cut too much of that away and then be stuck with it. Did you have to remove a lot too?

Did you do anything with the lower opening? I'm thinking about fabbing up some kind of grill for it. I'm trying to decide 2 things. Where to put it and what to use. I don't know if I want to put it on the front of the center opening, like it is in the ad pictures, or at the rear of the opening. And if I use a wire mesh I'm not sure how that will look with the honeycomb main grill. Does anyone make an OEM looking grill without the spot for the horsey? I could buy that and cut it down to fit.

Any pics of your front end?

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
very nice Boss

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
I am a retired painter of over 20 years. As you know prep work is going to be the key to getting the paint to stick and for it to turn out good. Before you sand on it use a wax and grease remover designed for plastic to get the mold release agent off. You can use regular wax ang grease but i have seen it cause a flash fire. Also make sure that you use adhesion promotor for plastic parts. Even if you sand it properly the paint can still peel off. Use the adhesion promoter under the basecoat. 3M makes a product called scuff it. Use it with a red scotch brite pad to sand and clean the part, put the adhesion promoter on and then the paint. Make sure you wait between coats and it should turn out fine. It is also a good idea to use a flex agent in the clearcoat but 2-3 coats of clear is very flexible without the flex agent. If you have any questions let me know. It sounds like you know what your doing i was just throwing out some suggestions. Good luck.:)

·
Registered
13,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Thanks guys, and Dennis. I've done a bit of painting on my car. All of the pieces I've put on I prepped and painted myself. I get my paint from an on-line company that mixes it up when you order it and I had them add flex additive to the primer, basecoat, and clear coat. Like you said, the prep is the hardest and most important part in the process and I will take my time and do it right. I use Comet and a 3M scrub pad to clean the releasing agent plus sand all surfaces even if they look good. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Thanks for the tips Anthony. I was looking at those parts of the bumper and already thought about using foam to fill it in. It does sag a little bit in a couple of spots. What kind of foam did you use? Was it just pieces that you cut down to fit or that stuff you spray in there and it expands to fill the gap? It seems like I have to take away a lot of material around the side markers, more than I am comfortable removing. I would hate to cut too much of that away and then be stuck with it. Did you have to remove a lot too?

Did you do anything with the lower opening? I'm thinking about fabbing up some kind of grill for it. I'm trying to decide 2 things. Where to put it and what to use. I don't know if I want to put it on the front of the center opening, like it is in the ad pictures, or at the rear of the opening. And if I use a wire mesh I'm not sure how that will look with the honeycomb main grill. Does anyone make an OEM looking grill without the spot for the horsey? I could buy that and cut it down to fit.

Any pics of your front end?
I used some good quality foam that came with a shipped item I had bought. I cut it down to fit. And yes, I had to cut out quite a bit of material for the side marker lights to fit properly. I used a hand held grinder and just took my time. Grind a little, test fit, repeat. It won't be perfect, but will work out fine and look right. I may have some of the foam if you need it.

On the lower opening I just left it wide open and like I said, stuffed some long pieces of foam between the lower 2 layers where that sags a little. Screws come up from the bottom to keep it in place. If you do use foam, use something that's similar to what Ford used in feel. I mean don't use a 7-11 styrofoam cooler. That **** is garbage.

Here's a couple of shots from when I had the Procharger on it:

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l143/anthony05gt/100_1287.jpg?t=1252962436

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l143/anthony05gt/100_1291.jpg?t=1252962584

·
Semper Fi
4,181 Posts
somebody chop that pic and give a projection of the final product!!!! lol i dont have the patience hahha

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
That's awesome!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts