Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
PSN alphadong11
28,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I am going to rig up some sort of latching dumbwaiter to lower the water heater.

It has dumb in the name so it's fitting.

---------- Post added at 06:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:16 PM ----------

I got this

·
Premium Member
39,159 Posts
WTF is that? Yeah, lets put like 400lbs worth of water heater on a rickety shelf so it can fall and create a gas leak next to an appliance with a pilot light. Great idea!

·
Will Eat Spam From Your Butt
6,807 Posts
Dude that's literally the same stupid ****ing setup as my apartment. I hate it so much, it makes turning the dryer on a royal bitch and a half.

·
Endangered Species
864 Posts
How does a building inspector even sign off on **** like that? Anyway...my typical night at work...drunk people banging at the glass doors trying to get into the hotel without a room key to use the bathroom and our ATM; I'm just laughing at them but secretly want to knock them all out. In other news our GM was terminated today. Lol.

·
Registered
10,592 Posts
How does a building inspector even sign off on **** like that?
I would have to go check our local building code but I don't think it's against code. Regardless of if it's a good or bad idea, if it's not against code the inspector has to sign off on it. What should be against code is that awful plumbing in the OP's picture. It's not hard to make that all 90 degrees and square.

·
PSN alphadong11
28,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There is nothing on the other side of the wall either. They could have easily made a closet to house it on the ground.

·
6,807 Posts
Honestly I wouldn't mind the water heater on top of the dryer if there was more clearance between the top of the dryer and the bottom of the shelf. My biggest gripe is having to contort myself down to see and reach my arm through to turn it on. There's plenty of room between the top of the water heater and the ceiling so I don't see why they couldn't do it that way.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
I got woken up at 1:30 in the morning to do a 5 hour job that the people who work in our call center have the ability to do and the SOP to do it with. They told me they couldn't figure it out and the client needed the data yesterday. I had already worked my full shift, but their ****ing boss is a lazy piece of **** and holds no accountability on them for anything. Not to mention, he gave the client false expectations that we just couldn't meet. But, at least the big guy in charge notices I'm putting in work to keep these people happy....Got a text from him when I woke up at noon. Just sick of getting ****ing calls constantly, especially when I'm not even these guys boss and there are two other people in the same position as me.

Getting burnt the **** out. Sorry no pictures for context, just know it was all done on a PC, and is something that takes a lot of work, time, and attention to detail to do. Let's not forget I recently took a pretty big paycut due to forced furlough as well.

No one can see this, right?

·
6,807 Posts
My gripe of late:

These damn chip card readers for debit/credit transactions are a ****ing nightmare. I'm one of a handful of guys overseeing installing them for all the Starbucks across the US.

Now just to give you an idea of how convoluted the logistics of all this is...the card readers are supplied by the bank, the software is supplied by Verifone, the shipping is done by a company called zones, the actual courier used is FedEx, and the field techs are supplied by a NCR which is a massive company in and of itself.

Getting all these companies (and their associated subcontractors) to tell my team where they're at and provide me with updates for things like what stores have the new card readers, whether they have a tech to send out to the store, etc., on a regular basis is like herding cats.

Anyways, back in November, we ordered something in the realm of 30k chip card readers, for the 10,000+ stores in the US, then sent them out to be installed by the field techs. Only to find out, Verifone had flashed the wrong firmware on all of them and so they all had to be recalled and sent back to the bank. Who then was like "lol not our problem" and sent them back to Verifone to be reflashed.

So that took about two months to get done.

Now, while there's not a deadline for all this to get done, Starbucks definitely wants things done ASAP, because any store that doesn't have the chip card readers the bank won't cover any sort of fraud, so its a liability issue.

Making things even more of a pain in the ass is the fact that our Ops department has made it clear that daily operations and making sales is more important than upgrading the card readers, so the field techs have to call ahead and find out when the store is slowest so they can come upgrade things. But since NCR subcontracts a lot of their techs out to Uncle Joe's PC Repair, if they don't have staff of their own in the area, usually small towns in rural areas, that doesn't always happen or isn't made clear, and so these guys show up during a rush and then get pissed when they have to wait 2 hours, and cancel the job. Which may or may not get communicated to NCR, and thus may not get communicated back to me.

Which makes me look like an idiot when my boss asks for a timeline and I'm like "well everything that's not in a major city I have no ****ing idea on, sorry mate." Fortunately he's pretty understanding and tries not to pressure me too badly, but it's one of those things where I just hate not being able to get the information I need to make things run smoothly.

90% of the time I love my job, but when I spend more time chasing corporate goons than working on cool stuff, it rustles my jimmies, grinds my gears, what have you.

---------- Post added at 05:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:26 PM ----------

I got woken up at 1:30 in the morning to do a 5 hour job that the people who work in our call center have the ability to do and the SOP to do it with. They told me they couldn't figure it out and the client needed the data yesterday. I had already worked my full shift, but their ****ing boss is a lazy piece of **** and holds no accountability on them for anything. Not to mention, he gave the client false expectations that we just couldn't meet. But, at least the big guy in charge notices I'm putting in work to keep these people happy....Got a text from him when I woke up at noon. Just sick of getting ****ing calls constantly, especially when I'm not even these guys boss and there are two other people in the same position as me.

Getting burnt the **** out. Sorry no pictures for context, just know it was all done on a PC, and is something that takes a lot of work, time, and attention to detail to do. Let's not forget I recently took a pretty big paycut due to forced furlough as well.

No one can see this, right?
I had to deal with this type of **** constantly when I worked at Obamacare and Xbox...****ing hated that ****.

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
This pretty much sums up this work week. No explanation needed. I'm Vader...

·
Turbo > blower
13,867 Posts
Aircraft deicing is fun as ****, but God dammit when it's 5 degrees with a wind chill of -20 and there's not even any ****ing frost, let alone ice, on the airplanes, making me go outside and spray the airplanes down is such a ****ing waste of money and time. Ugh if there's nothing happening let me sleep

·
Registered
10,592 Posts
My gripe of late:

These damn chip card readers for debit/credit transactions are a ****ing nightmare. I'm one of a handful of guys overseeing installing them for all the Starbucks across the US.

Now just to give you an idea of how convoluted the logistics of all this is...the card readers are supplied by the bank, the software is supplied by Verifone, the shipping is done by a company called zones, the actual courier used is FedEx, and the field techs are supplied by a NCR which is a massive company in and of itself.

Getting all these companies (and their associated subcontractors) to tell my team where they're at and provide me with updates for things like what stores have the new card readers, whether they have a tech to send out to the store, etc., on a regular basis is like herding cats.

Anyways, back in November, we ordered something in the realm of 30k chip card readers, for the 10,000+ stores in the US, then sent them out to be installed by the field techs. Only to find out, Verifone had flashed the wrong firmware on all of them and so they all had to be recalled and sent back to the bank. Who then was like "lol not our problem" and sent them back to Verifone to be reflashed.

So that took about two months to get done.

Now, while there's not a deadline for all this to get done, Starbucks definitely wants things done ASAP, because any store that doesn't have the chip card readers the bank won't cover any sort of fraud, so its a liability issue.

Making things even more of a pain in the ass is the fact that our Ops department has made it clear that daily operations and making sales is more important than upgrading the card readers, so the field techs have to call ahead and find out when the store is slowest so they can come upgrade things. But since NCR subcontracts a lot of their techs out to Uncle Joe's PC Repair, if they don't have staff of their own in the area, usually small towns in rural areas, that doesn't always happen or isn't made clear, and so these guys show up during a rush and then get pissed when they have to wait 2 hours, and cancel the job. Which may or may not get communicated to NCR, and thus may not get communicated back to me.

Which makes me look like an idiot when my boss asks for a timeline and I'm like "well everything that's not in a major city I have no ****ing idea on, sorry mate." Fortunately he's pretty understanding and tries not to pressure me too badly, but it's one of those things where I just hate not being able to get the information I need to make things run smoothly.

90% of the time I love my job, but when I spend more time chasing corporate goons than working on cool stuff, it rustles my jimmies, grinds my gears, what have you.
That sounds like a pretty standard well run government operation. Everything subcontracted out to various companies, everyone doing their own thing, and then you have to set, keep, and report on schedules. It may seem like a PITA now, but you will learn valuable skills from the whole thing that can be used later.

·
6,807 Posts
That sounds like a pretty standard well run government operation. Everything subcontracted out to various companies, everyone doing their own thing, and then you have to set, keep, and report on schedules. It may seem like a PITA now, but you will learn valuable skills from the whole thing that can be used later.
I think the biggest skill I've learned is self control at not smashing my face into the desk on a daily basis, lol

·
Registered
10,592 Posts
I think the biggest skill I've learned is self control at not smashing my face into the desk on a daily basis, lol
I know the feeling and I've been there. But trust me, in several years you will be able to look back after you're removed from the situation and realize you did learn some important skills.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts