Modded Mustang Forums banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
RAT FINK
939 Posts
I work at a civil engineering company doing AutoCAD.

We are currently working on Dominion's Atlantic Coast Pipeline (if any of you have heard about it) and I am so sick of this ****ing job. Me and two other people have been working on this project full time since August 2014 with no end in sight.

Dominion has a tendency to not ask for anything for awhile and then tell us out of the blue that they need something yesterday.

I was on vacation last week, come back this week to find out Dominion wants us working 7 days a week (we're not, that's bullshit) and has set 5 major deadlines for us over the next 2 months.

Mind you, this is a 550 mile pipeline of which we are doing plan sheets, property exhibits, road crossing drawings, and a bunch of other **** for 250+ miles of. There are two other companies also doing a portion of it but they have a fraction of what we do. Hell, we just had them reroute 50 miles of it North Carolina in an area where we thought they were set, and they're telling us to prepare drawings for the reroute BUT they might not use it. We've had areas that have been rerouted two and three times at this point. Supposedly they wanted this thing flowing gas in 2018- no way in hell that's going to happen. Every week they change something.

I was tempted to just stay in Florida and not come back.

·
DSMs are cool...
2,059 Posts
I work at a civil engineering company doing AutoCAD.

We are currently working on Dominion's Atlantic Coast Pipeline (if any of you have heard about it) and I am so sick of this ****ing job. Me and two other people have been working on this project full time since August 2014 with no end in sight.

Dominion has a tendency to not ask for anything for awhile and then tell us out of the blue that they need something yesterday.

I was on vacation last week, come back this week to find out Dominion wants us working 7 days a week (we're not, that's bullshit) and has set 5 major deadlines for us over the next 2 months.

Mind you, this is a 550 mile pipeline of which we are doing plan sheets, property exhibits, road crossing drawings, and a bunch of other **** for 250+ miles of. There are two other companies also doing a portion of it but they have a fraction of what we do. Hell, we just had them reroute 50 miles of it North Carolina in an area where we thought they were set, and they're telling us to prepare drawings for the reroute BUT they might not use it. We've had areas that have been rerouted two and three times at this point. Supposedly they wanted this thing flowing gas in 2018- no way in hell that's going to happen. Every week they change something.

I was tempted to just stay in Florida and not come back.
Yeah don't you love that when you hear nothing from them and all of a sudden you're holding them up or they need this asap?

There are projects at work where we are required to do a specific set of tasks but we can't do those tasks until all of these other steps are done. What usually happens is you ask so and so when they will be done..you hear nothing. Okay so now you finish what you can without the people before yous stuff being done and now the project owner is saying you're holding everything up when in reality you have done all you could without the other idiots finishing their ****..happens every time at my work. Always pointing fingers at telecom because they don't know their own damn systems or equipment or jobs.

·
PSN alphadong11
28,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
>be me getting ready for bed
>On call phone rings
>Lady complaining about loud movie from next door
>Call her back
>Straight to voicemail
>Leave voicemail stating we do not get involved in noise complaints and give her the non emergency police number
>It goes to her voicemail because she talked too much on her first message and takes forever before it gets to call back number
>She already calling again leaving me a voice mail as I am leaving her one.
>Impatient phone tag, no more bed NEED STRONG DRINK AGHHHHHHHH!

I mean, your neighbors are loud, call the cops. I can carry a gun and a stick but they get all bent out of shape when I use those "maintenance tools"

·
PSN alphadong11
28,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Or a set of lockers were taken out of our clubhouse 3 months ago, the belongings put in my managers office for the entire time, she was just fired so when they cleaned out her office the stuff probably got tossed, dude doesn't even live here and one of the ladies playing cards immediately piped up "well then they should compensate you"

Good luck with that. Probably a good habit to not leave **** in random lockers on a property you don't live at for months at a time. And here comes the DMX song.

·
Registered
975 Posts
i love snow....it brings the idiot and asshat out of everyone. first real snow of the year here and about 1/8"~1/4" on the ground and people are freaking out. it still snowing calm your titties. there is nothing I can really do while snow flakes the size of quarters are dropping.

·
PSN alphadong11
28,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
i love snow....it brings the idiot and asshat out of everyone. first real snow of the year here and about 1/8"~1/4" on the ground and people are freaking out. it still snowing calm your titties. there is nothing I can really do while snow flakes the size of quarters are dropping.
I seen foreigners driving with their hazards on because its lightly snowing :lmao

·
Registered
73 Posts
Now this is a good thread lol

My work cut out OT due to people abusing it. So it sucks for me since I actually used to complete all my projects. So now I have a crap load of projects and no time to do them during my regular schedule. Its bad enough im the only person who does projects but now im picking up someone elses slack who took medical leave so he couldnt get fired.

·
missippi roolz
9,244 Posts
I was gonna start a new thread but forgot this one existed:

Who has dealt with micromanagers? I've only been at my current company for 7 months now and I'm starting to submit job applications elsewhere already.

I design industrial hydraulic systems, which I enjoy - but my manager drives me ****ing crazy. The past two jobs I've had in a design engineering role I would not even speak to my managers about stuff for like a week or more at a time. They would give me a task and trust that I could get it done - exactly how I like it.

My current manager will walk up behind me like three times a day: "So how's it goin'?" "It's ****ing great, same as it was a couple hours ago." He'll see me designing something in Solidworks and be like "I was going to put this part here and have this other thing over here and blah blah blah." Drives me ****ing insane - if you want to be the one designing the ****, then why did you hire me? I'm not a ****ing drafter - the job isn't you giving me something you drew on a notepad and then having me turn it into a 3D model and blueprint. The job is a set of requirements needs to be met and I design the product to meet those requirements and you check my design to make sure it meets those requirements. You don't tell me every move to make just because you have an opinion in your head. Trust me to do my damn job!

·
Registered
975 Posts
You guys make it sound like it was a good thing I didn't get into the drafting/autocad field. I have an associates degree in cad and I was like a class or two short for a building trades certificate. The only job that wanted me after 3 years in school with said classes was a prefab house building company. They wanted me to be under the site forman. With me eventually moving up to that spot. Didn't think a starting at 35k a year job in Chicago was worth moving for.

·
missippi roolz
9,244 Posts
You guys make it sound like it was a good thing I didn't get into the drafting/autocad field. I have an associates degree in cad and I was like a class or two short for a building trades certificate. The only job that wanted me after 3 years in school with said classes was a prefab house building company. They wanted me to be under the site forman. With me eventually moving up to that spot. Didn't think a starting at 35k a year job in Chicago was worth moving for.
I mean I get paid a lot to do what I do since I have a BS - no ****in way would I have accepted a 35k/year job doing engineering work (entitled millenial blah blah) in a location as expensive as Chicago. And I ****ing love doing 3D modeling work - I just don't like being micromanaged. I'm actually trying to find a job that is more focused on more complex design work as opposed to industrial products (aka, squares, rectangles and circles).

But yeah, I don't want to just have someone drop a photo on my desk and go "here, draw this". I want to create things.

·
RAT FINK
939 Posts
Hey, I love doing drafting/AutoCAD. I've loved it since I first did it in high school. And I never feel like I made a bad choice- I've been with this company for 5 years now, they are good to us, and I'm pulling in $50K, which isn't bad for an AS in the area where I live. I knew I would never get rich doing CAD work but hell I can't complain.

It's the clients I can't ****ing stand, and working in the oil & gas industry you get the worst of the worst. I don't know what it is with companies in that particular sector but everything is ASAFP with them.

I actually wanted to post in here because here I am, almost a year after my original post- STILL working on the same project, Dominion is STILL rerouting it, it's like nothing has changed! I'm assuming someday they'll actually settle on a route. I'd like to know how much money they've dumped into this project so far, I feel like if they'd gone out and done some studies and talked to some landowners before starting this project they could have made this whole thing soooo much easier.

·
missippi roolz
9,244 Posts
Hey, I love doing drafting/AutoCAD. I've loved it since I first did it in high school. And I never feel like I made a bad choice- I've been with this company for 5 years now, they are good to us, and I'm pulling in $50K, which isn't bad for an AS in the area where I live. I knew I would never get rich doing CAD work but hell I can't complain.

It's the clients I can't ****ing stand, and working in the oil & gas industry you get the worst of the worst. I don't know what it is with companies in that particular sector but everything is ASAFP with them.

I actually wanted to post in here because here I am, almost a year after my original post- STILL working on the same project, Dominion is STILL rerouting it, it's like nothing has changed! I'm assuming someday they'll actually settle on a route. I'd like to know how much money they've dumped into this project so far, I feel like if they'd gone out and done some studies and talked to some landowners before starting this project they could have made this whole thing soooo much easier.
Haha, I was designing oilfield equipment at my last job. But my company was so gigantic I didn't have to have any interaction with the customers. I got laid off in January alongside pretty much 80% of the company so, hey, at least you're still employed!

But yeah, CAD work is enjoyable until you're doing what you're doing: working on the same thing for over 6 months. At that point it's just staring at the same thing every day and making itty-bitty changes or waiting on answers from all sides. Lots of waiting...

I like my customers at my current job. They're all friendly and for the most part understanding. But I know we've got some more extreme ones that I haven't dealt with yet: coal-fired power plants and oil companies.

·
RAT FINK
939 Posts
I'll admit, I fell into this civil job because I got laid off from my old job. THAT job was what I really loved doing- fab steel design and drafting. I loved doing that stuff especially because my boss would give me free reign and let me do some of the designing myself, and almost everything was different.

Ah well- gotta do the work that's available to pay the bills, civil/surveying cad work has always been one of my least favorite. There's a lot more civil/surveying work than there is fab steel work so that's what I had to do.

Our gas field work fell off big time about 2 years ago but the big players (Dominion, Antero) still have stuff going on, and we're diversified since we're an engineering company.

Anyway- I've been working on this 2 years but eh, at least I know what I'm doing pretty much every week when I come in to work. We don't have tons of other work coming in right now so I'm just glad to have something to keep me busy.

·
missippi roolz
9,244 Posts
I'll admit, I fell into this civil job because I got laid off from my old job. THAT job was what I really loved doing- fab steel design and drafting. I loved doing that stuff especially because my boss would give me free reign and let me do some of the designing myself, and almost everything was different.
Yep, that's how it was at my last job with the oilfield equipment manufacturer. Design, support manufacturing and go out to the shop and help them run the test on the equipment with few check-ins from my manager. Now it's like three times a ****in' day. It's horrible.

But I'm also realizing I'd like to design more complex stuff - things with complex contours and surfaces - like consumer products or something. Industrial equipment is just square tubing, c-channel and brackets and arranging all the components in a logical layout.

That's the other problem - my manager comes from a farming background so he just wants to use whatever we have on hand without really giving much credence to the perception of quality. So what if you throw a few rusty parts on it that have been sitting on the shelf for years? At least we're saving a few pennies! But if I was a customer and spending tens of thousands of dollars on a piece of equipment, I'd at least want it to look nice so my initial perception is that the quality is equal to the amount I spent. And ultimately, his ideas make us lose money or only break even because he over-complicates designs by frankensteining a bunch of parts together instead of just using a purchased part that does all the things you want in a nice simple package. Damn! Just spend the money upfront so you're not having to spend a bunch of money figuring out why the parts that you put together from multiple brands aren't cooperating like you envisioned.

·
PSN alphadong11
28,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
If anyone on here designs AC's, please make the ports up high and easy to get at. Makes it so much cleaner than having the ports in the dirt when you're supposed to have the ports clean as possible in the first damn place. Then gardeners come around and mulch, covering them completely.

·
missippi roolz
9,244 Posts
If anyone on here designs AC's, please make the ports up high and easy to get at. Makes it so much cleaner than having the ports in the dirt when you're supposed to have the ports clean as possible in the first damn place. Then gardeners come around and mulch, covering them completely.
But then.......gravity?

·
Registered
69 Posts
I think what's frustrating at my job is the lack of equipment. You want me to catch shoplifters at this location well I can't do it with 6 cameras all facing the front line. My other store isn't much better with only 4 cameras that cover the whole sales floor. Every time I'm missing one part of our apprehension rules. Either I didn't have concealment because I can't see down an isle or they go down an isle I can't see and hang out down there for 10 mins doing god knows what and could be dumping the stuff or stealing more stuff. Like give me 4 still cameras and I'd be getting a shoplifter once a day.

·
RAT FINK
939 Posts
God dammit, my favorite company strikes again.

So. I've mentioned how I've been working on this stupid project. 300, 24x36" plan sheets worth of pipeline alignments. 1200 property exhibits.

Last week we have a conference call with the company we are subcontracted through for this job. Dominion wants us to go through every single property exhibit, check it, update the ones that need it, compile them and send them in, by Feb 20th. They tell us to add whatever resources (people) we need to get it done by then. So we say wow, that's big request but maybe we can wrangle another couple people, we have to go through at least 50 exhibits a day to make it happen. Oh, they also want us to do any of the ones that haven't been done but can, I figure we can push that back a bit.

We worked over the end of last week, worked all weekend (me and the 2 other people dedicated to this job along with a couple others). We have a weekly conference call on Mondays so we called in yesterday. They inform us Dominion ALSO wants all the PI labels (point of intersection) on the plan sheets to also show the angle of deflection and direction (which involves opening the sheet set, removing current labels, replacing them with new labels and moving them into the correct place), and printing PDF's. And they want that by Feb 13th. WTF is this? Nobody seems to understand the sheer volume of work they have asked us to complete. I think if we had 8 or 10 people, full time dedicated to this project we could do it. We have 2 cad people dedicated, and a couple of people helping that have not worked on this project at all and barely know what they're doing. That's all the help we could muster because, surprise, we have other clients. Yay! Regardless I'm looking at weekends and overtime for the next 3 weeks and I'm just stressed out.

I've gotten to the point that my give-a-**** is broken. We're gonna tell them we can meet one deadline, the other one is just not possible. Ugh.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts