Modded Mustang Forums banner

Which gears?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sooo, I want the best gear for my money (when I do get money), and I was wondering who has what and how they like it, especially if you're running 4.56 in the 5-speed. I've got K&N CAI, ported throttle body, small tune, flowmaster exhaust, just a bunch of other little stuff in my 96 GT 5-speed. Half the time I drive about a block to my work, other half the time I drive about 6 miles into town, almost no highway. Now that you know what I have and what I do, I'm stuck between 3 gears, the 4.10, 4:30, and 4:56. I'm extremely interested in the 4:56, but I'm also scared of it the most in fears of taking more time to shift than to accelerate (although I do have a Steeda short shifter). I'm not so concerned with loss of traction in first and second, but I'm really really wantin my 3rd and 4th to pull much harder.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have much cash flow, and I love a car that slams your head back into the seat, so I want to get the gear that'll get me the best acceleration with the least negativities. Plus, I'm looking at 1/4 mile drag strips around the area to go to, and I heard the 4.56 isn't that good for the quarter.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I agree, 4.56 seems too low to be practical. I say you can't go too wrong with 4.10s.

·
Registered
448 Posts
With 4.56s you'll only be able to hit about 100mph at 6000 rpm in 4th gear. So its definitely not a good choice for the track if thats a plan of yours. And I feel like 1st gear would be nonfunctional. Its already pretty short with 4.10s. 3.73s and 4.10s are the popular choices for a reason.

Here's a simple gear/rpm/speed calculator if you want to try out different ratios: Gear Ratio Calc

·
Registered
678 Posts
There is no reason to go with anything more than 4.10's on a mostly stock 2V. For a pretty heavily modified PI headed 2V you could go with 4.30's. If you have ported heads of TFS heads w/ big cams and spin the engine to 7000+ then 4.56 or shorter gears would be the correct choice.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
4.10's hands down. I have it now and I use to have them inmy 97GT. In the 97 i had both 3.73's and the I'll tell you that the 4.10s are a ton better imo.

I would rock the 4.10's...best all around for what you seem to be looking for imo

EDIT: imo I feel like the only time you should question the 4.10's are if you plan on running f/i or you run the 1/4. We only have the 1/8 here where I live so even If I went f/i in the future, the 4.10's were a no brainer for me. Also the whole gas mileage debate is overrated and not true. Im in 5th at like 32 mph and get 20 miles to the gallon. < Its all about how you drive it

·
Bringing Yellow Back
10,928 Posts
i have 410s and its still very very driveable

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
It is a daily driver, but I usually don't drive far at all thanks to the awesome horrible gas mileage. $5 of gas to go to town and back and my job is just down the street. And it's sounding like 4.10 is the popular vote, but if the 4.56's can get a few more votes, I'll start seriously considering a set of 4.30's as a balanced compromise. I want that acceleration but I don't want my first gear to become useless. I'm not so concerned about my top end speed dropping down at all, as long as I'm still able to be around 60-70mph at 2,000 RPM in 5th gear.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Do you plan on making any passes in it at a drag strip? With 4.56's and probably 4.30's as well you will end up hurting the performance. Even with PI heads the 4.6 will "run out of breath" long before you cross the stripe in 4th gear.

·
Registered
34 Posts
4.10s are more than enough for what ya need iv had the 3.73s and didnt like them and my bud is running the 4.30s now and he hates them

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
It is a daily driver, but I usually don't drive far at all thanks to the awesome horrible gas mileage. $5 of gas to go to town and back and my job is just down the street. And it's sounding like 4.10 is the popular vote, but if the 4.56's can get a few more votes, I'll start seriously considering a set of 4.30's as a balanced compromise. I want that acceleration but I don't want my first gear to become useless. I'm not so concerned about my top end speed dropping down at all, as long as I'm still able to be around 60-70mph at 2,000 RPM in 5th gear.
Is why you should run the 4.10's but with them you will more than likely be in the mid 2k rpm range because I think when im at 80 Im sitting closer to 3k rpm. Just keep that in mind when deciding which one to run

·
Registered
164 Posts
4.10s all the way. I clicked 4.30s my mistake

1 - 20 of 30 Posts