Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright i know theres quite a few mustang dift cars out there. (JTP, vaughn gittin jr., tony brakohiapa, doug van der brink, and plenty others.)

so heres a thread for those of you(i guess i can kind of say us but i dont own a mustang just something thats close to being mustang powered) who drift.

talk about your suspension setups, best tire size, tire pressure, initiating techniques, etc.

personally my 240sx is set like this:
slight foreward caster,
-3* front camber -.5* rear camber.
8k springs up front dampers set a few clicks from full soft
6k springs in back with dampers set halfway beetween hard and soft
0 toe front, 1/16" toe in rear
welded diff
typically run either 205/50/17, 215/45/17 or 225/45/17
38psi up front and for the rear 40psi when wet track, 45 dry track.

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
:lmao

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i had a feeling someone was going to post that :p

catch the last part though lol he did say he liked it lol

theres drag, circle, and autox as subforums
granted i dont mind any of those types except maybe circle since thats how i started out.
but theres no road course or drifting section and at almost every event ive either driven at or just watched there has been atleast 3 mustangs.

·
Yes, I am your Daddy
983 Posts
I believe that drifting, autox, and road courses are much harder and take alot more skill than a drag race. Any retard with any car can drag race. Drag is all about how $$$ you can throw at your car. Drift, autox, roadcourses takes skills, lots of practice, and not that much $$ is needed. You can get an older 240sx with some decent mods, and go whoop ass in drifting, or a Miata with some suspension work and kill in autox.

BTW by drifting, I mean actual course drifting, not doing burnouts/donuts and trying to look cool.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I believe that drifting, autox, and road courses are much harder and take alot more skill than a drag race. Any retard with any car can drag race. Drag is all about how $$$ you can throw at your car. Drift, autox, roadcourses takes skills, lots of practice, and not that much $$ is needed. You can get an older 240sx with some decent mods, and go whoop ass in drifting, or a Miata with some suspension work and kill in autox.

BTW by drifting, I mean actual course drifting, not doing burnouts/donuts and trying to look cool.
yea i know. i do admit drag racing takes skill to get the right launch and the right points to shift at (i brought my old 200sx to the track once on street night) but ive noticed its takes A LOT of skill to keep the car sideways without spinning or straightening out. burnouts/donuts dont count as drifting it counts as being an idiot. unless its like a burnout competition?

road course i never was able to try. auto-x ive done a few events fun but not my style. you dont get going fast enough for it to be a rush.

hillclimbs are fun though =]

there should be a road course section though. i know most people use them for drag racing but still the cars handle amazingly with the right mods and they have more then enough power for track use.

·
MoM Fanatic
5,056 Posts
there should be a road course section though. i know most people use them for drag racing but still the cars handle amazingly with the right mods and they have more then enough power for track use.
agreed on this roadcourse is alot harder than it looks

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
agreed on this roadcourse is alot harder than it looks
cant say i understand but i would only imagine. hillclimb events are pretty hard (not the jeep kind. the rally type ones where you go up a winding mountain road and try to beat the time) i need to do a few more of those this year if this build doesnt destroy me lol

how did this get off topic?

·
Registered
775 Posts
There are a few guys who have had success drifting with a mustang but for the vast majority? NO. The reason being is because for how much $$$ it takes to put into a mustang to get it setup right there are dozen of other cars where you can accomplish twice as much for half the cost. Those gentlemen whom you listed have had or have major financial backing so money isn't a issue. (But im sure I your quite aware). I am in agreement that drifting is much harder than the pros make it out to be in comparision to other forms of racing. I've tried my hand at it and it's not as easy as people suppose say (those whom say they have but really never have). I have friends within the realm of FORMULA DRIFT and I expect to see it quickly become one of the most popular racing series to watch.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There are a few guys who have had success drifting with a mustang but for the vast majority? NO. The reason being is because for how much $$$ it takes to put into a mustang to get it setup right there are dozen of other cars where you can accomplish twice as much for half the cost. Those gentlemen whom you listed have had or have major financial backing so money isn't a issue. (But im sure I your quite aware). I am in agreement that drifting is much harder than the pros make it out to be in comparision to other forms of racing. I've tried my hand at it and it's not as easy as people suppose say (those whom say they have but really never have). I have friends within the realm of FORMULA DRIFT and I expect to see it quickly become one of the most popular racing series to watch.
ive never honestly drifted a mustang. i wouldnt know how the cars are set up lol. maybe on the 13th at one of these events if my friend decides to go up and try it out ill be able to see what you mean. but your main friend for drifting is seat time. most important thing you could have. helmet, a good clutch, and a locked diff. then youre set. ive drifted 240's with open differentials while people are complaining about not being able to drift when they have a welded differential.

·
Registered
775 Posts
ive never honestly drifted a mustang. i wouldnt know how the cars are set up lol. maybe on the 13th at one of these events if my friend decides to go up and try it out ill be able to see what you mean. but your main friend for drifting is seat time. most important thing you could have. helmet, a good clutch, and a locked diff. then youre set. ive drifted 240's with open differentials while people are complaining about not being able to drift when they have a welded differential.
Yea, ya gotta have had to at least rebuilt the entire suspension if you wanna be semi competitive. Although basic stuff isn't bad (the min is @ least adjustable suspension parts imo anyways).... well if you ever get the chance (a modded mustang compared to a drift setup mustang; night/day). But agreed, seat time really in any racing series is #1 must for improvement. And as you know, you gotta be able to afford tires in drifting because you go thru em fast lol.

·
Registered
775 Posts
@sr20sean: Hey speaking of Drifting. I got a buddy who's on the Drift Curcuit who looking for a little more sponsorship. You wouldn't happen to know of anything woul you?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
start emailing companies with videos and pictures of his work in events. thats why i usually have someone with me filming my runs for me when im at an event.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts