Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a a 2003 gt with the mach 1000. I, like many others, have had the stock head unit jam one too many times and have decided to rip the **** out.

I have just swapped out the headunit with this

I used the correct Metra harness with the RCA plugs.

After installation, there is buzzing anytime a song has heavy bass and it just sounds weak overall. All of my subs and speakers have power but it seams that the subs on the front doors are not working right because it does not feel as strong. I also noticed that with the old system, the rear-view mirrors would shake when the volume was high, but it does not with the new system which makes me think it is the speakers in the doors.

Anyone have a solution to this? Should I replace my speakers or amps? I did some research and it seems these systems are problematic if you switch anything out. Some people say its fine if you use the right harness but some say you have to replace the whole system. Can someone can please give me a clean and clear answer on this so that I can stop bugging you guys?

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
i would look into replacing the whole system, it's what i'm going to do on my 00, i can't make it sound good even with a nice head unit.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i would look into replacing the whole system, it's what i'm going to do on my 00, i can't make it sound good even with a nice head unit.
Yeah the problem is that I loved the Mach 1000's sound it's hard for me to justify throwing down the cash for a new system. How much would it cost for something equivalent? What brand?

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
all personal preference. you'll need some 5x7's or 6x8's (4 of em) new amps, subs, wiring, etc...it wouldn't be cheap.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Funny this was brought up today. I have had it and removed the entire system today. I used to really be into car audio twenty years ago. Orion,a/d/s, eclipse, audio control etc., when it was all good stuff. It takes about 45 minutes. While it was out I installed all new wiring which only took about 30 minutes because everything was apart. The system was good for oem, but sq and imaging are terrible and cannot be remedied by the systems design. If you really want high Sq, just save and replace it. If just want decent sound replacing the head unit helps.

I went through an old box of stuff that I have and will install it tomorrow. I did buy a new alpine head unit because my old one does not have any iPod capability. Keeping it simple with components up front, and two 10" subs in the rear.

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
Mr. Mike do you recommend replacing the rear speakers or just doing components in the front? i have heard you can just remove the rear speakers and be done with it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
That's up to you. Some people like rear fill, I personally do not. For me ambience and staging sounds more genuine from the front as it is intended to be heard. Ultimately it is what sounds good to your ears.

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
that's what i was thinking, i may not use any rear speakers in my setup. i'd just hate to put in only a front stage, remove the rear stage, and build a sub box for the rear that takes out the factory amp's and end up having to rebuild a sub box and re-do a set of front speakers. thanks for the advice!

op, sorry for whoring your thread.

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
first things first...

go back over your installation and make sure that everything is connected securely.

Make sure that you grounded the black/white amp ground wires to a ground source, IE the black thick ground wire or just to its own ground source

if all seems right then try taking the ground for the radio and placing it on bare metal to see if the sound will go away.

sometimes the fix is easy and sometimes its not.

as far as ditching the system goes that is all up to you. as mustanginky said, they are 6x8's or 5x7's all the way around. If you want the same type of sound then you will need components up front, components in back, and subs in the rear. Not to mention an accompanying amp for each. as MrMike said, some prefer nothing in the rear while others do. I feel the same way but if you do plan on having passengers in the back, I have a son, then the back speakers will be a good thing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts