Modded Mustang Forums banner

1961 - 1980 of 2069 Posts

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Maxed out on bench yesterday. Hit 300 (my old max) easy, and 310, which was also pretty easy, with no help/touching the bar from my spotter. I needed the spotter to touch the bar towards the top of the rep with 315, so I'm not counting it (bodyweight of 160.6 the previous morning).

I don't know if I've mentioned it here on not, but if you're looking to put on muscle and get stronger, I HIGHLY recommend soy lecithin granules. First, no, they won't lower your testosterone or increase your estrogen at all. The reason why they are so effective is that they contain high amounts of Phosphatidic Acid (PA), which has been shown in multiple studies to increase lean body mass and strength, as well as stimulate mTOR (good for building muscle). I'll go more in depth later if anyone wants (I'm on my phone now), but the studies used Mediator brand PA, which is soy lecithin standardized for 50% PA. Studies dosed it a. 750 mg PA per day. If you pick up a quality soy lecithin granules product (ideally standardized for 97% phosphatides: including Fearn, Optima, LEF, NOW, Global River brands, among others), while they aren't standardized for PA, they will inherently contain 5-8% (average 7%) PA by the nature of the de-oiled granules, so you can get effective doses of PA from the granules for very cheap, as opposed to the concentrated Mediator products, which are crazy expensive. Also with noting is that soy-derived PA was more effective at stimulating mTOR than other sources of PA, and correspondence with the researchers who conducted the studies confirms that soy lecithin granules are an effective source of PA, and even that higher doses of PA are better/more effective. With that said, I'd recommend taking 2 tbsp of the granules 30-60 minutes pre workout, or, if you get an upset stomach from that, with a meal within 3 hours of your workout, and with a meal on rest days, and see how you like it. I've been taking 3 tbsp pre workout, and planning on going up to 3 pre and 2 post, but I'd recommend staring at 2 and testing it for at least a week or two. I know people who run 5+ tbsp daily. I can homely say that PA (from granules) is THE most effective supplement I've taken, and it's very cheap; probably the best bang for your buck there is. I'll post more when I get to my computer (I'll link up research and other good stuff).

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Those are good numbers especially for 160. I've dropped 25+lbs in the last 3 months getting ready for summer. Went from a bulky 217 to a much leaner 190. Fortunately I was still able to throw up 385 today..unfortunately I really want to toss 405 around but looks like I might not make it on this cut

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Those are good numbers especially for 160. I've dropped 25+lbs in the last 3 months getting ready for summer. Went from a bulky 217 to a much leaner 190. Fortunately I was still able to throw up 385 today..unfortunately I really want to toss 405 around but looks like I might not make it on this cut
Thanks man. 385 is a huge bench, especially at your weight. My next goal, after hitting 315 (which I believe I am strong enough to get, I'd say it was the mental block of 3 plates) is 2x bodyweight bench, which you're already past. I'm still bulking though, so that 2x bench for me is likely going to be an increasing number.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Thanks man. 385 is a huge bench, especially at your weight. My next goal, after hitting 315 (which I believe I am strong enough to get, I'd say it was the mental block of 3 plates) is 2x bodyweight bench, which you're already past. I'm still bulking though, so that 2x bench for me is likely going to be an increasing number.
Enjoy the extra cals. People who are scared to eat don't realize the strength and size gains you can make.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Enjoy the extra cals. People who are scared to eat don't realize the strength and size gains you can make.
I completely agree. Plus food tastes so good. I have a very fast metabolism, my whole family does, my dad also had a hard time gaining weight back when he competed (bodybuilding) many years ago, but, while it may have been a bit of a pain for him back then, it's great for him now that he's a bit older.

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
Bump! Where yall at?

I fell out for a couple weeks. Been having some pretty intense joint pain. I think the combination of work and lifting was too much. Trying to get back in it slowly

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
i tell people all the time, watch your form. if it causes even the slightest joint pain in the beginning it will get worse down the road. keep the movements natural to your body.

·
Broke as F*ck!!
2,725 Posts
i tell people all the time, watch your form. if it causes even the slightest joint pain in the beginning it will get worse down the road. keep the movements natural to your body.
When I first started out of high school I had that problem. Wouldn't really pay attention to form but the past couple years I make sure my **** is on point. I just injure myself constantly at work lately so it makes everything hurt. I'm averaging one, maybe two days in the gym a week for the past month or so

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
When I first started out of high school I had that problem. Wouldn't really pay attention to form but the past couple years I make sure my **** is on point. I just injure myself constantly at work lately so it makes everything hurt. I'm averaging one, maybe two days in the gym a week for the past month or so

That's been my. I've been going to PT for my knee 3x a week which makes it hard. Hopefully after that I'll be able to get back in and get some of my size back.

·
PSN alphadong11
28,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,971
My hardest is my back. I hardly have any back muscle and it's hard for me to tell if I am really putting the weight where it needs to be or is my shoulder overcompensating. Hopefully the more I lift, the more I will feel it to where I can squeeze on the right parts.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
My hardest is my back. I hardly have any back muscle and it's hard for me to tell if I am really putting the weight where it needs to be or is my shoulder overcompensating. Hopefully the more I lift, the more I will feel it to where I can squeeze on the right parts.
The mind-muscle connection with your back (lats) is much more difficult to dial in than the connection with, say, chest or biceps. I've found that a few things can help ensure that you're pulling and lifting with as much back as possible. When doing any pull ups or pull downs, I always use a thumb-less, or open, grip. Doing this allows me to use my biceps less during the downward pulling motion, so I can use my lats more to pull the weight down or myself up. Another thing that I've found helps, especially when doing rows, is to focus not on pulling the weight from the hand/wrist/weight itself, but from your elbow; focus on bringing your elbows back, as this allows you to use a lot more back and less biceps to row and pull the weight, as basically the entire range of motion is now for the lats and not the biceps. Also, you may want to try to actually rip the bar apart, or pull it outwards, when doing pull ups or pull downs. Basically, during both the negative and positive parts of the rep, you want to focus on pulling the weight down/yourself up, as well as trying to pull the bar apart with your hands (a related method is squeezing your hands together and trying to compress the bar inward when benching to focus and really squeeze the chest), this also keeps tension throughout the entire rep very well, and helps you focus on not going too fast on the negative portion of the rep.

·
Registered
74 Posts
damn man 385, i cant get past 365... im 5'11'' 219lbs. thats impressive

·
Registered
74 Posts
Well I attempted to max out on back squat last night and i just wasn't feeling it. I hit 345 and hit a wall. My previous best was 365.
start doing low box squats.. same principle as pause reps to eliminate any momentum and focus mainly on actual strength. after a couple weeks of this type of training, when you go back to max your squat, youll probably find the strength to hit more than or previous max. try it with 225

i couldnt get past 315x6 for a long time, started doing 225x12-16 pause reps for a few weeks, went back to max and was able to get 365 for 2.

·
You had one job!
9,138 Posts
start doing low box squats.. same principle as pause reps to eliminate any momentum and focus mainly on actual strength. after a couple weeks of this type of training, when you go back to max your squat, youll probably find the strength to hit more than or previous max. try it with 225

i couldnt get past 315x6 for a long time, started doing 225x12-16 pause reps for a few weeks, went back to max and was able to get 365 for 2.
I've actually tried this a few times over the last few months but not consistently. I'll have to revisit it again.

1961 - 1980 of 2069 Posts