Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let it go. Which would you recommend which do you live by?

I am trying to figure out which process for modding the transmission would be best for my setup. Currently I am using my 2001 mustang V6 with an auto and 85k miles on it. I plan on adding a ProCharger S/C to it as well as finishing up my windstar swap in. I'm looking to make around 375ishHP and 375ishTQ. So which is better the Jmod or the Transgo? Is there a better shift kit or are these the only two?

Thanks for your input.

·
Banned
12,740 Posts
Jmod
trans cooler
thank me later

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jmod
trans cooler
thank me later
do the jmod for medium power or go for the high power specs?

What brands trans-cooler? B&M?

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
:confused: why couldnt you downshift with a jmod?
i think the jmod is just making the valve body holes bigger. transgo replaces more parts and the entire valve body.

you can still manually downshift but itll hurt your tranny, just like downshifting it stock hurts it.

·
Registered
487 Posts
i think the jmod is just making the valve body holes bigger. transgo replaces more parts and the entire valve body.

you can still manually downshift but itll hurt your tranny, just like downshifting it stock hurts it.
i think downshifting it period over a certain rpm is bad for the tranny, unless its electronically with the od button.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
i think downshifting it period over a certain rpm is bad for the tranny, unless its electronically with the od button.
there are shift kits which allow you to downshift at any rpm, thats what i want lol.

remember my shift point problem from the other thread? well my ecu still thinks 5200 is the redline for downshifting but i think this is true for everyone. since i want to shift at 6.2-6.5k with my h/c/i its sucks because even though im supposed to shift that high my computer wont downshift if the gear would be past 5200 if you know what im saying

so say im in 4th cruising and i go wot, at say 60mph for example. at 60 mph lets say 2nd gear would be at 5300rpm and 3rd would be at 3600. so the ideal would be to downshift into 2nd then shift out of 2nd at 6300 or so. but since 5300 is past the stock redline it wont ever downshift if the needle will start past the redline. so it would downshift to 3rd and id have to do a long ass 3rd gear pull from 3.6k lol.

·
Registered
487 Posts
there are shift kits which allow you to downshift at any rpm, thats what i want lol.

remember my shift point problem from the other thread? well my ecu still thinks 5200 is the redline for downshifting but i think this is true for everyone. since i want to shift at 6.2-6.5k with my h/c/i its sucks because even though im supposed to shift that high my computer wont downshift if the gear would be past 5200 if you know what im saying

so say im in 4th cruising and i go wot, at say 60mph for example. at 60 mph lets say 2nd gear would be at 5300rpm and 3rd would be at 3600. so the ideal would be to downshift into 2nd then shift out of 2nd at 6300 or so. but since 5300 is past the stock redline it wont ever downshift if the needle will start past the redline. so it would downshift to 3rd and id have to do a long ass 3rd gear pull from 3.6k lol.
the manual valve body would allow you to downshift with ease i believe.

yes, that makes sense in the last part lol.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So wait if I want to be able to drop shift at high rpms I need a shift kit. Crap cocky. Back to the shopping cart.

·
a.k.a. Racecougar
4,775 Posts

That can easily be corrected with a tune.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Manually.

I live in an area where there's some nice curvy country roads and being able to drop from mid-high 3rd to 2nd would help keep pace when driving through the woods.

I'm not looking to spend a small fortune on my tranny.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts