Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,

so my question is, for someone who likes to run his car on the street and maybe once a month run on the track, should i get 3.73s or 4.10s?

I've read that 3.73s are good for manuals whereas 4.10s are great for autos
and i've also read that the 3s are good for ppl who cant launch and the 4s are all around good

my car is basically stock and im looking for some extra pep:eek:

·
Billy Weston
5,076 Posts
When was there a debate? I haven't ever meet someone with 4.10s that said "man I wish I went 3.73". Its always the other way around. 4.10s end of the debate.......

·
amateur adult film star
1,040 Posts
or you could do what im going to do and go in between:D with a 390:woot

·
amateur adult film star
1,040 Posts
ahhh you beet me to it

·
MM's Mad Scientist
5,101 Posts
I had 4.10's and I hated them. The 4.10's run out too quick with the 5-speed tranny. I have the 3.73's now, and they are great. If you had a 6-speed, the 4.10's would be the best.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
I had 4.10's and I hated them. The 4.10's run out too quick with the 5-speed tranny. I have the 3.73's now, and they are great. If you had a 6-speed, the 4.10's would be the best.
+1

The more hp you have, the smaller gear you wish you'll have...if its a street car. 3.73 > 4.10 for the street w/ high hp *IMO*.

If its a drag car, then 4.10's will be excellent, but think about this... if you're driving on the street... do you want to have to shift every 2 seconds? Do you want your power band to run out extremely fast in a high hp car?
Or do you want to still be fast and have to shift every 4 seconds? and stay in your powerband longer (especially good if you have FI, thats why everyone with FI gets 3.73's).

the t56 tranny is geared much different than than the t45 or the t3650, the gears are much steeper (hit a higher mph in the gear you're in) in the t56 so 4.10's would be much better.

·
amateur adult film star
1,040 Posts
yea for fi you dont nee anything in the 4s

·
Registered
922 Posts
Good Lord, just get the 373s and be a big ole girl with a car thats slower than your friends with the 4.10s.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Good Lord, just get the 373s and be a big ole girl with a car thats slower than your friends with the 4.10s.
my friend.... in the 1/4 there is about a .1 second time difference b/t 3.73's and 4.10's for moderatly good drivers... for professional maybe a .2 second difference.

·
MM's Mad Scientist
5,101 Posts
With 4.10's, a 3650 tranny, and some decent power, you will be going out the back door in fifth or stuck in fourth with nowhere to go.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hehe alright, thanks for the advice all

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
It really depends on what you want out of it. Me personally, the only thing I care about is lowering my E/T. I never street race. If this describes you, then go with the 4.10's. If you street race and plan to go FI, then the 3.73's is your best bet.

Off topic, but someone said 4.10's only help you like 1 tenth. While this may be true, if you consider that in every mod you buy, that's quite a few tenths. I almost always go for the part that will only help a little bit more then the competition and costs more. 10 tenths make a second.

·
MM's Mad Scientist
5,101 Posts
It really depends on what you want out of it. Me personally, the only thing I care about is lowering my E/T. I never street race. If this describes you, then go with the 4.10's. If you street race and plan to go FI, then the 3.73's is your best bet.

Off topic, but someone said 4.10's only help you like 1 tenth. While this may be true, if you consider thads in every mod you buy, that's quite a few tenths. I almost always go for the part that will only help a little bit more then the competition and costs more. 10 tenths make a second.
There is always a trade off though. You will risk running out of gear in the 1/4 if you have a good bit of power. Wheel spin will be worse with the 4.10's. Gear changes will come up quicker. These are all thing to consider.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
There is always a trade off though. You will risk running out of gear in the 1/4 if you have a good bit of power. Wheel spin will be worse with the 4.10's. Gear changes will come up quicker. These are all thing to consider.
True indeed. But a good driver with good tires and good track prep (ideal conditions) will see lower E/T's from 4.10's.

·
MM's Mad Scientist
5,101 Posts
True indeed. But a good driver with good tires and good track prep (ideal conditions) will see lower E/T's from 4.10's.
That depends on trap speed. If you are trapping 115 or below that will be true. If you plan to trap higher than that, you will end going out the back in fifth gear and that will be an ET killer.

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
See ya'll will notice a big difference goin to 3.73 and even 4.10...the new S197's like mine come with 3.55 and if i switch to 3.73's im not goin to notice a good difference which sucks on the street...but with 275/40 r17 DR's my effective gear ratio with 3.55 gears and those tires at the track is 3.77. If i switched to 3.73's at the track where it really counts my effective gear ratio will be 3.95....so it really depends on what tires you use. I went down to 17's for the rear on the track because they are lighter and the slightly smaller tire increases the gear ratio up to a 3.77 with my 3.55. Just another thing to consider thats all.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
That depends on trap speed. If you are trapping 115 or below that will be true. If you plan to trap higher than that, you will end going out the back in fifth gear and that will be an ET killer.
So If I run VT Stage 2 Cams and spray 125shot I will run out of gear?

1 - 20 of 77 Posts