Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed some blue smoke coming from my exhaust after my car has been warmed up. Mainly when pulling off from a dead stop. Obviously that means I'm burning oil. It's not a lot of smoke, but definitely enough to notice. I'm running an off road X pipe so I'm wondering if no cats has something to do with that? Regardless I started looking over the PCV system and noticed some oil residue in the vacuum lines. I first tried to run a catch can but I couldn't keep the massive 5/8 hose from sucking flat. I finally got so frustrated that I said screw it and deleted the whole system. In the pictures you can see how i have the breathers set up. for the passenger's side, I just drilled out the core of the pcv valve so that it's always open and put the breather on top. I then plugged the holes on the intake and plenum. The driver's side is just a breather with a short piece of 5/8 hose connected to the valve cover. Did I do this correctly? I just want to know whether I missed something or if I'm going to be okay with this. thanks.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No performance benefit. the only thing you'll get out of it is preventing oil from getting into your intake. Normally only cars with Forced Induction need to do this. I'm not sure why I'm having the problem

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
It looks like you forgot to plug the hole in your intake. The way you have it works fine. I used to run that way but I got some oil mist out the filters so I went to a vented catch can

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I plugged the hole after i took these pictures. I used a round plug that i picked up at the auto parts store. sorry, forgot to mention that. but thanks Stal! good to know I didn't screw it up. now i'm praying that i don't have oil mist problems.

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
I plugged the hole after i took these pictures. I used a round plug that i picked up at the auto parts store. sorry, forgot to mention that. but thanks Stal! good to know I didn't screw it up. now i'm praying that i don't have oil mist problems.
You should not have to much oil mist problems. I got it cause I was running 18# of boost

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
UPDATE: about 100 miles after deleting the pcv system, and while driving on the interstate, my car suddenly revved up to 2500 rpm and hung there. no matter what i did, it stayed at 2500rpm. i popped it in neutral and coasted off the road. few minutes later fired it up and same thing. hanging idle at 2500rpm. i was able to make it to an auto parts store about a mile down the road. they told me i was having a vacuum issue and it was causing the car to have a hanging idle. i bought a new pcv valve and some hose to rig something up to get me home. I then tried to crank it up and get home but didn't make it. ended up being towed. Have a new IAC on order as well as all plastic lines because i can't keep the 5/8 hose from collapsing. anything else I need to order/ do? Why is it that the pcv delete seems to work on everyone else's car?

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
Getting rid of the pcv system works fine, you probably have a vac leak, i mentioned earlier that you forgot to cap off the intake tube, did you remember to cap of the pcv inlet in the plenum?.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Getting rid of the pcv system works fine, you probably have a vac leak, i mentioned earlier that you forgot to cap off the intake tube, did you remember to cap of the pcv inlet in the plenum?.
I have everything capped off. After the picture was taken i picked up a rubber plug for the intake boot. To test whether or not the pcv delete was my problem, i reinstalled the pcv system and the car ran a little better but still had a hanging idle. i checked and even replaced all of the 5/8 hoses and it still does the same thing.

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
Did you check behind the plenum where the pcv hose goes? NM JUST LOOKED AND SAW YOU HAVE IT CAPPED OFF

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well, i got it fixed. new IAC valve and plastic pcv lines that wont collapse did the trick. car is a totally different beast. My exhaust tone has significantly changed and i've noticed a significant increase in throttle response. Glad it's running like it should've been in the first place. thanks Stal

·
Registered
692 Posts
It looks like you forgot to plug the hole in your intake. The way you have it works fine. I used to run that way but I got some oil mist out the filters so I went to a vented catch can
I am looking into doing this as well as i went prochargged. i heard that oil in the intake isnt really a big deal.

although what is oil mist if you do this?

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
When you run filters off the valve covers you sometimes get oil mist out of the filters leaving a mess in your engine bay. It is more common with fi cars

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
i thought you had to retune when you deleted the pcv? or maybe i'm thinking of the egr. either way i want to delete mine on the new motor setup.

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
Egr sets off the check engine light, pcv does not.
this is true but it does have potential to desrupt the maf & a motor needs positive air flow thru it for plenty of reasons.

just venting the crankcase thru breathers is never a good idea, a far better plan is to route the pcv thru a catch can if your having oil control problems.

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
Never had a problem venting my carS atmosperic. The pcv system was made back in the day cause old school cars ran something called a draft tube which is just a tube hooked up to the valve cover and routed to the bottom of the car so the oil and fuel vapers could drain on the ground. Draft tubes to make some vacume when the car is moving forward but not a hole lot. Epa did not find the draft tube eco friendly to the trees and what not so the pcv system kept the crap contained.

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
Never had a problem venting my carS atmosperic. The pcv system was made back in the day cause old school cars ran something called a draft tube which is just a tube hooked up to the valve cover and routed to the bottom of the car so the oil and fuel vapers could drain on the ground. Draft tubes to make some vacume when the car is moving forward but not a hole lot. Epa did not find the draft tube eco friendly to the trees and what not so the pcv system kept the crap contained.
somewhat true but car manufacturers went with the pcv system willingly because it makes ring & gasket seal much easier.

a road draft tube isn't really the simple drain you described, it was designed so that when a vehicle is moving the air going passed the tube creates a vaccum to purge the crankcase.

while I realize that some guys cant grasp how to propperly baffel a pcv system to work with a blower, but on an n/a car like the o/p, an open vented crankcase does more harm than good.

I'll leave you with this, if evacuating the crank case isn't important, why do race engine builders go to such lenghts to incorporate evac systems into their motors?

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
somewhat true but car manufacturers went with the pcv system willingly because it makes ring & gasket seal much easier.

a road draft tube isn't really the simple drain you described, it was designed so that when a vehicle is moving the air going passed the tube creates a vaccum to purge the crankcase.

while I realize that some guys cant grasp how to propperly baffel a pcv system to work with a blower, but on an n/a car like the o/p, an open vented crankcase does more harm than good.

I'll leave you with this, if evacuating the crank case isn't important, why do race engine builders go to such lenghts to incorporate evac systems into their motors?
i know you already know the answer to the q that you asked me but for those who dont, they run it cause pressure builds in the crank case and it robs hp by putting pressure on the back of the piston. now the reason most people with sc's vent their crank cases is cause most idiots keep the pcv valve in the factory spot. the pcv is a check valve and under boost it shuts, forcing crank pressure to only have 1 exit. if the pcv were to fail under boost you would accualy add pressure to the crank case, loosing hp and possibly blowing out a seal. now venting atmospheric has its diss advantages, more moisture and humidity makes its way back in the motor breaking down engine oil faster. and to make a atmospheric system work properly the vents have to be large enough to support the amount of air being pushed out so the crank case does not build pressure.

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
i know you already know the answer to the q that you asked me but for those who dont, they run it cause pressure builds in the crank case and it robs hp by putting pressure on the back of the piston. now the reason most people with sc's vent their crank cases is cause most idiots keep the pcv valve in the factory spot. the pcv is a check valve and under boost it shuts, forcing crank pressure to only have 1 exit. if the pcv were to fail under boost you would accualy add pressure to the crank case, loosing hp and possibly blowing out a seal. now venting atmospheric has its diss advantages, more moisture and humidity makes its way back in the motor breaking down engine oil faster. and to make a atmospheric system work properly the vents have to be large enough to support the amount of air being pushed out so the crank case does not build pressure.
I wasn't directing my rant at you specifically, I know you know the pro & cons of this stuff & make your choices based on you needs/wants/use of the car.

my resonse, not unlike yours was to give the guys who don't know something to think about.

reps for a good debate, as always.

Reactions: stal94gt
1 - 20 of 22 Posts