Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i was changing the headlight bulbs in my car today and when i took the battery out to get to the bulb i managed to snap the one bolt that holds the battery in. sadly it was rusted to hell because water apparently got trapped in the battery tray.

anyways theres about a quarter of an inch that i can grab on to with a pair of vice grips and ive blasted it with wd-40 numerous times but ive had no luck.

any ideas as to how i can fix tis without replacing the whole tray or "ghetto rigging" it.... aka my tie down strap holding the battery in place.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
how hard would it be to retap and its just a basic tool kit i can but at home depot or something right? pretty sure i dont have one?

·
Registered
46 Posts
to be honest my strap has been missing since i got my car at 15K miles it now has about 180K an di ahve been in about nine wrecks and its pretty much the only thing that doesnt move

so unless the strap thing is bugging you dont worry about it

ps i got a tap and die sat about two years ago it was 500$ and it was the cheapest set they had

i dont know if they sell individual taps but they wont be cheap

·
Banned
15,799 Posts
to be honest my strap has been missing since i got my car at 15K miles it now has about 180K an di ahve been in about nine wrecks and its pretty much the only thing that doesnt move

so unless the strap thing is bugging you dont worry about it

ps i got a tap and die sat about two years ago it was 500$ and it was the cheapest set they had

i dont know if they sell individual taps but they wont be cheap
:eek::confused:

umm try like $20 at your local auto store for a tap and die set

·
Registered
300 Posts
If your that concerned with it get a rubber hose and bolt each end of it around the battery to lock it in place.

·
¡ʇsnq ɹo uʍop ǝpısdn
12,571 Posts
i had the same problem... i drilled it out and then refabbed it up with some washers and a slightly smaller bolt... looks good too

·
MM's Resident Ricer
9,892 Posts
mine never had the tie down either

·
Zoolander
7,719 Posts
If its really gonna bother you get a battery relocation kit, or a tap and die kit. I would go for the battery relocation kit.

·
MM's Resident Ricer
9,892 Posts
If its really gonna bother you get a battery relocation kit, or a tap and die kit. I would go for the battery relocation kit.
that you go buy a universal tie down kit from autozone for 5 dollars

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
You can get a tap and the correct size drill bit for maybe $5 at places like Home Depot for example. The thread is probably 6mm x 1.25 or take the good part of the bolt with you to check the size. If you have an electric drill your all set. Alternatively, remove the battery tray and take it to an automotive machine shop and let them rethread it. It's a good idea if you will be working on cars much to have taps in common sizes. 6, 8, and 10 mm would be useful on most cars.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts