Modded Mustang Forums banner

24681 - 24700 of 25620 Posts

·
Broke as F*ck!!
2,725 Posts
guess he caught to much flack for it lol. the front half was all burnt up. Interior was toast. Engine was melted. All that could be usable is maybe the back tailgate and tail lights with the buimper. everything else was all fire damage.

thats still impressive to get 5K for but why is it worth so much?? I mean its just a motor like anything else. I feel like cummins is the Abercrombie of the automotive world.
Sounds like it should've just been hauled to the junkyard lol

Desirability honestly. People want them cause they're basically bulletproof. Look at the alternatives, Ford had the 7.3 which was dead reliable, but not big on power. Then the 6.0 which sucked asshole for reliability but was okay on power. Then the 6.4 which are decent and can make power, but still have problems and are still expensive. And now they have the 6.7 which seems to be doing well but they're $40k or more trucks still.

Then you have Duramax. Every generation of Dmax has had its issues. Once those are fixed they're usually good trucks, but the stigma is still there just like the Ford 6.0s.

The Cummins are just another ballgame. Mine has 280k and runs like day 1. None of the generations had major engine problems that I know of. They had been ahead in the power numbers game for a long time but I think the may have gotten rousted recently by Ford. Its still hard to beat the low end torque they have though, my 7.3 revs sky high. Its just the interior and front suspension that was subpar in the older models but the interiors are coming around slowly.

And even with 35s, stock exhaust and no programmer I'm getting 15-16 mpg around town. The 7.3 is lucky to see 10...and its on stock tires.

·
Certified Bwaloligisit
28,084 Posts
Sounds like it should've just been hauled to the junkyard lol

Desirability honestly. People want them cause they're basically bulletproof. Look at the alternatives, Ford had the 7.3 which was dead reliable, but not big on power. Then the 6.0 which sucked asshole for reliability but was okay on power. Then the 6.4 which are decent and can make power, but still have problems and are still expensive. And now they have the 6.7 which seems to be doing well but they're $40k or more trucks still.

Then you have Duramax. Every generation of Dmax has had its issues. Once those are fixed they're usually good trucks, but the stigma is still there just like the Ford 6.0s.

The Cummins are just another ballgame. Mine has 280k and runs like day 1. None of the generations had major engine problems that I know of. They had been ahead in the power numbers game for a long time but I think the may have gotten rousted recently by Ford. Its still hard to beat the low end torque they have though, my 7.3 revs sky high. Its just the interior and front suspension that was subpar in the older models but the interiors are coming around slowly.

And even with 35s, stock exhaust and no programmer I'm getting 15-16 mpg around town. The 7.3 is lucky to see 10...and its on stock tires.
Id love to own one some day as a work horse, but for their price that seems like its gonna be far off.

·
King Trashmouth
21,886 Posts

Aside from head gaskets and injectors I haven't heard of too many problems with the DMAX.

CTDs had their problems. There was the early 53 blocks that liked cracking, although I think all of those are out of circulation by now. There was the "killer dowel pin" although that was a 2hr/$0.05 fix, and the early HPCRs killed injectors, but only if you used shitty filters. People also piss and moan about head gaskets, but that's almost always guys running 200+hp tunes, not warming it up, and using the wrong defuels. Hell I get paranoid and I'm on the "stock" power level. You could also cite the auto transmissions as a weak point, but again that's usually "Yeah I turned the pump up, making 150hp over stock and then the durned tranny **** out on me doing a 4 wheel boosted launch! Damn Dodge junk!"

Id love to own one some day as a work horse, but for their price that seems like its gonna be far off.
I'd love to own one too some day....oh wait. :shiftyeyes

I do want to build a 6BT intercooled D150 or D250 with an NV4500 for my old man one day. Completely match his second pickup, but with a nasty diesel drivetrain, and oddly enough completely identical to the 1st diesel Ram. Only problem is in his old age he probably doesn't want to row gears anymore, and probably isn't too fond of the deafening noise of a 6BT. Maybe he'll have to run something like an ISB6.7 with a 45RE.

·
Broke as F*ck!!
2,725 Posts
Yeah still not quite cheap enough to be just a workhorse lol. But they're getting there. The older 12 valves are coming down in price finally.

Aside from head gaskets and injectors I haven't heard of too many problems with the DMAX.

CTDs had their problems. There was the early 53 blocks that liked cracking, although I think all of those are out of circulation by now. There was the "killer dowel pin" although that was a 2hr/$0.05 fix, and the early HPCRs killed injectors, but only if you used shitty filters. People also piss and moan about head gaskets, but that's almost always guys running 200+hp tunes, not warming it up, and using the wrong defuels. Hell I get paranoid and I'm on the "stock" power level. You could also cite the auto transmissions as a weak point, but again that's usually "Yeah I turned the pump up, making 150hp over stock and then the durned tranny **** out on me doing a 4 wheel boosted launch! Damn Dodge junk!"

I'd love to own one too some day....oh wait. :shiftyeyes

I do want to build a 6BT intercooled D150 or D250 with an NV4500 for my old man one day. Completely match his second pickup, but with a nasty diesel drivetrain, and oddly enough completely identical to the 1st diesel Ram. Only problem is in his old age he probably doesn't want to row gears anymore, and probably isn't too fond of the deafening noise of a 6BT. Maybe he'll have to run something like an ISB6.7 with a 45RE.

Yeah it does seem like it's usually tuned guys that have issues. But there will always be something I guess. There's a couple compound boosted trucks here in town. They run pretty damn well haha

That sounds like a sweet build! My buddy is still trying to wrap up his 93 Chevy with the 6BT steamroller engine/Allison. He can't seem to find a body guy that does half okay work

I took the shitty edge off my truck last night. Didn't play well with the built trans and air dog. Instead it's gonna get a Smarty, 4" turbo back, and 50 hp nozzles with a custom tune from a diesel guy here in town

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
missippi roolz
9,244 Posts
Yours? How do you like it?
Yeah, I picked it up last night. Have only had it for like less than 12 hours but it's super nice. Interior is top notch and super quiet. Bose audio is fairly decent. Ride is unfathomably better than my '04 Grand Cherokee.

I got the All Terrain (no 4x4 - I've never needed it and it's too expensive) so it gets rid of most of the chrome that comes on the GMCs (which I'm not a fan of) and gives a much sportier appearance on the inside - black seats with red stitching and a little "carbon fiber" look on some trim pieces.

Should see up to like 27 MPG on the freeway (got a V6) and it fits in my garage so it's a perfect truck for what I was looking for.

·
Pawsitively sexy
10,564 Posts
Yeah, I picked it up last night. Have only had it for like less than 12 hours but it's super nice. Interior is top notch and super quiet. Bose audio is fairly decent. Ride is unfathomably better than my '04 Grand Cherokee.

I got the All Terrain (no 4x4 - I've never needed it and it's too expensive) so it gets rid of most of the chrome that comes on the GMCs (which I'm not a fan of) and gives a much sportier appearance on the inside - black seats with red stitching and a little "carbon fiber" look on some trim pieces.

Should see up to like 27 MPG on the freeway (got a V6) and it fits in my garage so it's a perfect truck for what I was looking for.
Nice man. I'm really thinking about one for myself. And it would be replacing a 2004 Grand Cherokee. lol

·
missippi roolz
9,244 Posts
Nice man. I'm really thinking about one for myself. And it would be replacing a 2004 Grand Cherokee. lol
Ha! Well it's a world of difference - on a whole 'nother level.

I would suggest test driving one pretty quickly. The 2015's get the 100k mile/5 year drivetrain warranty and they're reducing it down to 60k/3yr for 2016. That's one of the reasons I jumped on this. I believe 2016 production starts in about two weeks.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I always feel like fastpony was in a coma when the humans of Earth evacuated the planet and left him alone there. His pictures are always in places that seems like the humans just up and left.
Lol doesn't seem that way hahha. Yea I pretty much go out late at night to these places otherwise I'd never get a shot in. To many people or to much traffic. Or just to many noise people gwalcking

24681 - 24700 of 25620 Posts