Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
8,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For everyone who hasn't seen all my threads regarding this issue

Went to a professional detailer to talk about detailing and adam's products, talked about a lot of stuff, he demonstrated products, and did side by sides

eventually brought up detailing engine bays, he said ill show you, its easy, ill do yours

I said okay, and then hes about to hose the engine bay, i say shouldnt you cover the coil pack and elec. connections+alternator

he said no its fine, i do this to my fleet of fords all the time

I think to myself..well he is the professional, so he proceeds

uses water, degreaser, adams cleaner and vrt

afterwards, i start the car up, starts up rough and the belt squeaks turn it off after a little

did some other stuff

when i go to leave my car is running real rough/weird/sounded like a truck

it was hard to accelerate, eventually go to the point where i couldnt break 10 mph, come back, there was a ton of water in the connections, used a machine to blow the water out, tried it again still bad, left the car running to attempt to dry it out still bad, i was getting misfires on 1,2,3,

drove it home later when i was able to push more power out of it, got misfires the whole way

he ended up paying for new plugs,wires, and coilpack

this fixed my misfire issue, but my car was still kind of sluggish unresponsive didnt sound normal

a few days later i got a cel

cylinder 1 misfire, and p0420 something like cat 1 efficiency below threshold so basically cat 1 problem

my 02's have to be fine, i have less than 65xxx miles on my car

before this i have neverrrrrrrr had a single problem with this car.

i had my cat back done after i got the codes because it was scheduled

after this i really was able to notice how bad the cat issue was, because i pushed it pretty hard on the way home.

failed emission testing because it said cats not ready to be tested

my throttle response is shitty and i get a weird smell while driving, the exhaust coming out of the tips is not equal, the right side is much quieter, and not in waves but in a weak exhale style

my cat back is divorced, therefore this isolates the cat, so im thinking that the passenger cat has to be problem, nothing else makes sense to me unless you guys can think of something?

What should i do?
isn't this cat failure a result of what he did by fouling my plugs and coilpack, because of the extended misfiring and damage done, the cat was fouled?

·
Banned
8,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also does anyone know if i will pass va emissions if i get longtubes+o/r h and have the rear 02s turned off via tuner, i know they check obdII, but if the ecu isn't saying anythings wrong..then i should pass?

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I'd say you might have a O2 sensor problem. What makes you think that they're fine?
It could also be a clogged CAT like you mentioned.

If you end up removing the rear O2s just run MILs instead of having them turned off. You'll pass for sure then.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
so wouldnt turning the sensors off via tune be the way to go because its free?
I'm not sure if you'd still pass. I know certain things if you turn them off in the tune then you'll never pass the P1000 readiness test that is checked by emissions.

If anyone knows more about that I'd like to know as well.

·
Banned
8,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah i failed the p1000 readiness test a few days ago because i tuned it the night before, he said the ecu needs three dry cycles of driving 10+ miles in order for this to clear im assuming its true.

·
Banned
12,740 Posts
*wavy lines*
*awkward mystical music*

You dare summon ME?!?!?!?

Past life, anyway yes 02 sensors off in tune is much cheaper.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts