Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dropped my car off today to have all my wiring checked on my battery relocation because I was having problems where the car would run just fine on 14.5 volts at idle, and then drop to a consistent 11/12 after I gave it gas and just hang there. The guy who checked all the wiring said everything was done perfect, and he couldn't find a drop anywhere and his only explanation is that sometimes the computers in these and other cars don't recognize the battery and stop charging. I'm pissed because I know a million other guys have done this without problems. Any last ideas from the guru's or should I just give in and move it back to the front and cut my losses?

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
No, don't do that. I'll throw you an issue I had several years ago. Random battery light on the instrument panel... random dead battery... random engine shutting off. Rather annoying and impossible to trace. A buddy of mine suggested a new alternator and it somewhat made sense... however since that buddy just happened to own a starter/alternator repair and rebuild shop I just had him rebuild it. He did. Went through the whole alternator and replaced all wear components. Guess what. No go. Same problems. Essentially a new alternator and no fix. While discussing the problem with another electrical guy... he suggested a new alternator. I told him about the problems and the fresh rebuild as well as the multiple "GOOD" alternator tests. He again said alternator. Being he is a 12V guru I returned to my starter/alternator shop buddy and told him what the guru said. My buddy, knowing the same 12V guru, says "lets pull it off and go through it again. After removal and during the "going through" he says..... "look at that, a damned diode is burned". He happened to replace my faulty parts.... with yet more faulty parts......... after the second replacement all of my problems vanished.

Just a thought.... take the alternator off and drop it at a rebuild shop to have them do a visual inspection of the guts.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah that would be my first idea, but i already went through this with PA performance..I sent back the alternator and the guy said he gave it a full work over and found it to be in perfect condition. maybe i should drop a battery in the front of the car to see what might happen and that'll tell me for sure if it's because of the relocation or not?

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
IDK..... if I wanted the battery in the trunk (mine is in the trunk), it would be in the trunk. I'd find the cause. Find a good, very good stereo shop (because the specialize in 12V systems) and talk to them about your problem. See if they feel knowledgeable enough to tackle the problem if you're confident that the alternator is fine (just as everyone was in my case). I have one 12V guy that handles all of my wiring. However, I have another 12V guy that finds electrical problems but sucks (in my opinion) at doing a nice and clean install. The second guy is the one I go to with problems... but my first guy handles all of my wiring and always will.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah this guy is supposed to be one of the best in the area so I usually trust him with all my stuff. I have one more guy in the area to try and then i'll call it quits. I would like to utilize everything i've got setup already and not go back to square one

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Give it a shot with the battery back up front. Can't hurt, and if anything it will narrow down your search.
That's what I'm thinkin man. At least it'll give me something to live off of till I get it figured out..I'd rather have a working car with a battery under the hood than a dead car with a battery in the trunk lol. Just depressing after so many trial and errors to hear that I"m not getting any voltage drops but it's still not working properly. The car charged the whole way home from the shop barely any issues, till I gave it gas above 3000 rpms, and then from there on, it was as if the alternator was off, until finally i was close enough to my job to get it in a spot and literally watch the gauge drop off and the car finally die. tomorrow i'll juice it up and it'll be enough to at least get me home to start moving things around

1 - 7 of 7 Posts