Removed the following from my svt;
dog bone/Mott (aka deadweight)
steering column plates (underside)
axleback exhaust
sway bar w/ links
sub/box/amp/wiring
spare tire/related items
emptied washer fluid

whitegirl still sittin at 3390lbs no driver (trucking scale by my house)
I'll let yall know what I'm down to after the sra swap and tubular front end

· Registered
455 Posts
Question what year stang were these contents taken out of? I know this is list is just more so for a reference guide then exact numbers.

So one wants me to ship my seats to them and I'm just too damn lazy to go to the post office and lug those things up there.

· Registered
164 Posts
Excellent write up, the weight bug has bitten me recently and I've already pulled a lot of non essentials out of my 98 for the sake of performance and MPG, aside from A/c and such, living in florida this thing would kill me in the summer. Fun fact for the thread, I just traded my leather front seats out for cloth and it turns out the cloth ones are about 3-4 pounds heavier than the leather. I was very surprised with that

· Registered
164 Posts
stock '98GT 17" wheels with 245/45 tires 50LBS
Stock '00GT 17" wheels with 245/45 tires 42LBS

I just pulled 32-40LBS of rotational weight off of my car, the difference can definitely be felt.

· Registered
42 Posts
I was googling weight reduction tips and came across this thread. Very nice write up!

To add a little to it;
The stock '96 hood weighs 33lbs
The headlights with brackets weigh 8lbs each.

· eating 1 ricer at a time
4,716 Posts
Well on my 2002 the stock gt hood swap to a Saleen heat extractor shaved alot of weight the new Saleen hood weighs half easily

I guess my point a different hood could save weight.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

· I Poop Entirely Way Too Much
11,127 Posts
stock '98GT 17" wheels with 245/45 tires 50LBS
Stock '00GT 17" wheels with 245/45 tires 42LBS

I just pulled 32-40LBS of rotational weight off of my car, the difference can definitely be felt.
I swapped wheel on my old VW years ago. Went from stock steelies to 17" low with profile tires. Weight was the same but it was all on the outside and that alone made a difference. Could feel it pull a good bit harder.

· Registered
65 Posts
Sorry to revive the old thread, but how do you gut the underside of the trunk? We gut the trunk off jacks/tires/carpet when we race. Is there something between the gas tank and the bottom of trunk that needs removal?

21 - 40 of 47 Posts