Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, Here is some background information.
I have little mechanical knowledge, but have done brakes and oil changes, as well as a short throw install, so I thought I could install a catted UPR x pipe as well. Turns out I installed it, but it took 7 HOURS. I know I suck. What follows is a list of my issues to help any potential installers, and a rant mixed in for good fun.

Here were my problems.
-I have a shitty jack and stands. I have ramps, but it was for a lowered car and did not give enough access. I could not even extend my arms so I could move my elbows. I laid on my back, arms fully extended, and that gave me barely enough room to work. Not for claustrophobic people at all.

-Use PB blaster. WD 40 did not do the trick for me, especially on the drivers side.

-I have a california spec GT vert. The h pipe had 6 Cats in it, so access to the difficult driver side header bolts were even harder to reach. The pass side cat was right in the way of the bolt, so access was a bitch. I had to go to different stores and eventually got a 3/8 in 15mm socket. It is shorter than the 1/2 in 15mm socket so it gave me the access i needed. I prepared earlier with a 1/2 in 15mm socket, but it was too long to fully grab the bolt. This was after at least an hour trying different socket and extension combos to get the damn bolt off.

- The O2 sensors are a bitch. They seemed to be on the back of the block, so as a tip if you are taking the drivers side connection off, enter from the passenger side, and vise versa. It will be easier that way.

Anyways, the UPR catted x was easy to install, sounds great, and has not thrown a code (Knock on wood) as of yet. It fit great, and was easy to pair with my LM1's.

Sorry for bitching, but after almost rounding the inside pass side header bolt, I was frustrated beyond belief.

Here is a vid of the sound (This is not my car but sounds exactly the same). I will post a vid eventually, but tell me what y'all think about the sound. I love it! :)

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
6 cats? **** mine only came with 4

sounds good

·
Anandavenkatakrishnan
21,386 Posts
Yep I think cali cars came with 6

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
i got a cali car with only 4 cats so does all my other friends only 6 catted stangs i have seen were saleens

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Sounds goooooooddd!

·
BTM AutoSport
2,710 Posts
my stock mid-pipe had 6 cats. but i never had a problem dropping it out :shiftyeyes

·
Anandavenkatakrishnan
21,386 Posts
^ see? Another 6 catter for nazifornia

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
Alright, Here is some background information.
I have little mechanical knowledge, but have done brakes and oil changes, as well as a short throw install, so I thought I could install a catted UPR x pipe as well. Turns out I installed it, but it took 7 HOURS. I know I suck. What follows is a list of my issues to help any potential installers, and a rant mixed in for good fun.

Here were my problems.
-I have a shitty jack and stands. I have ramps, but it was for a lowered car and did not give enough access. I could not even extend my arms so I could move my elbows. I laid on my back, arms fully extended, and that gave me barely enough room to work. Not for claustrophobic people at all.

-Use PB blaster. WD 40 did not do the trick for me, especially on the drivers side.

-I have a california spec GT vert. The h pipe had 6 Cats in it, so access to the difficult driver side header bolts were even harder to reach. The pass side cat was right in the way of the bolt, so access was a bitch. I had to go to different stores and eventually got a 3/8 in 15mm socket. It is shorter than the 1/2 in 15mm socket so it gave me the access i needed. I prepared earlier with a 1/2 in 15mm socket, but it was too long to fully grab the bolt. This was after at least an hour trying different socket and extension combos to get the damn bolt off.

- The O2 sensors are a bitch. They seemed to be on the back of the block, so as a tip if you are taking the drivers side connection off, enter from the passenger side, and vise versa. It will be easier that way.

Anyways, the UPR catted x was easy to install, sounds great, and has not thrown a code (Knock on wood) as of yet. It fit great, and was easy to pair with my LM1's.

Sorry for bitching, but after almost rounding the inside pass side header bolt, I was frustrated beyond belief.

Here is a vid of the sound (This is not my car but sounds exactly the same). I will post a vid eventually, but tell me what y'all think about the sound. I love it! :)

2000 Mustang GT Catted X-Pipe SLP Loudmouth - YouTube

2000 Mustang GT flyby - YouTube

We all started somewhere, you don't learn by not trying.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
^ see? Another 6 catter for nazifornia
Haha agreed. Cannot do anything here without some law blocking it. Cant wait to leave. :computer:

my stock mid-pipe had 6 cats. but i never had a problem dropping it out :shiftyeyes
LOL Lucky you. maybe you are just more advanced than me!

That's my baby on those vids! :D
Sorry for copying you but it sounded so good I couldn't resist. Is UPR and Pypes the same company? Mine had that little spacer inside the flange like the pypes one did. Anyways thanks for the inspiration!

We all started somewhere, you don't learn by not trying.
Very true. Thats a lesson anyone can learn from.

·
Boost Bro
1,758 Posts
haha na its all good dude, and thanks! trust me you'll love the set up, all my friends say it sounds like a ford GT. And no UPR and Pypes are different companies, my midpipe sucks though, it hangs wayyy to low, I need to go to an exhaust shop and get it tucked in so i can lower my car.

·
C6Z's & ZL1's are afraid
3,444 Posts
hmmm i believe my car is a Cali car and the mid-pipe only has 4 cats on it. the original owner was some chick in Irvine, CA and she traded it in at a Chevy dealer where i picked it up. it was bone stock; even had the shitty plastic crossover intake manifold that cracked the day i bought it and drove it off the lot lol

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
haha na its all good dude, and thanks! trust me you'll love the set up, all my friends say it sounds like a ford GT. And no UPR and Pypes are different companies, my midpipe sucks though, it hangs wayyy to low, I need to go to an exhaust shop and get it tucked in so i can lower my car.
If you want try UPR. It fit great. Not too low, but i forgot to jack it up close to the car while installing

It sounds exactly the same which is why i thought they were similar. Anyways I probably watched your exhaust vids over 20 times, waiting till the day I got it from UPS. Thanks! I kind of became obsessed with this x pipe.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
hmmm i believe my car is a Cali car and the mid-pipe only has 4 cats on it. the original owner was some chick in Irvine, CA and she traded it in at a Chevy dealer where i picked it up. it was bone stock; even had the shitty plastic crossover intake manifold that cracked the day i bought it and drove it off the lot lol
Hmm. The extra cats made it harder lol. I hope that my manifold isnt on its way out. I have a sort of exhaling noise coming from center engine after shutting it off.

·
Boost Bro
1,758 Posts
If you want try UPR. It fit great. Not too low, but i forgot to jack it up close to the car while installing

It sounds exactly the same which is why i thought they were similar. Anyways I probably watched your exhaust vids over 20 times, waiting till the day I got it from UPS. Thanks! I kind of became obsessed with this x pipe.
Haha, well subscribe to me on youtube, I always post new stuff with my car and such, I just did a cold start vid with some exhaust reving too. I'm getting gears and a tuner next week and I'll be making some vids on that too!

·
C6Z's & ZL1's are afraid
3,444 Posts
Hmm. The extra cats made it harder lol. I hope that my manifold isnt on its way out. I have a sort of exhaling noise coming from center engine after shutting it off.
well you will know if it cracks b/c it will spray coolant ALL over the engine bay and probably start to smoke a lot. it was a fun little treat the first day of buying a car i had no idea to work on but then i just dived in and researched a **** ton.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Haha, well subscribe to me on youtube, I always post new stuff with my car and such, I just did a cold start vid with some exhaust reving too. I'm getting gears and a tuner next week and I'll be making some vids on that too!
Sounds great. I'll sub next time im on!

well you will know if it cracks b/c it will spray coolant ALL over the engine bay and probably start to smoke a lot. it was a fun little treat the first day of buying a car i had no idea to work on but then i just dived in and researched a **** ton.
That sucks on the first day lol. Guess that is not my problem. I researched this x pipe install for a few hours and thought i was ready. I had all materials ready to go, but I guess I wasn't prepared for how "frustrating" the header bolts would be. :bash: After that it was smooth sailing.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts