Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bad news...my dad's 1998 GT was stolen the other night and they took it curb jumping. This completely destroyed his new Bullitt style wheels. The car is still being looked over by his mechanic, and it appears that the rear axle housing is bent, as both rear tires wobble severly when they pushed the car to move it (we had to put the original wheels/tires back on). The transmission is also leaking pretty bad. This car was spotless with about 85,000 miles on it. Mods were just a CAI, tuner, and magnaflows. There was some body damage from when they got the car out of the garage (broke the pass mirror off), but otherwise the body looks OK to me.
Question is, what kind of hidden damage might he have?
Do you guys think it's worth repairing? His budget is already tight...
What might the car be worth in it's current condition?

Any thoughts are appreciated...

·
Registered
172 Posts
That sucks i hate low life theif's more than anything. Im not sure what kind of damage they could have done, but they probably beat the piss out of your car. If thats a current pic i dont see why you shouldnt fix her.

·
Registered
981 Posts
if the rear axle is bent, i would look at how the control arms are and how the rear shock mounts are as well as how straight the frame is. and how the doors close. if the doors close different than before or if you notice the doors are misaligned, then the frame could be bent

·
Registered
981 Posts
If there isnt any other damage, just the rear axle, trans, and rims and the mirror, then i would fix it... send the claim to the insurance and have it fixed, leave the wheels out and bite the bullet on that one... no pun intended, because a new set of wheels are going to be another 500 to 600... rear axle if new... plus to fix the trans... lets say its just the pan.. new pan and gasket and tranny flush.... maybe 1500 to 2000 minimum. unless the trans needs to be rebuilt or replace thats another 2000 on top of that possible. and if the trans pan hit the ground... then that would make me wonder what the exhaust is like both at the headers and the cats back along with the k-member, because that is a pretty hard bump if it hit trans pan.... it might be something as simple as the trans dipstick gasket that got ripped after much abuse....(happened in mine when i was auto-x, i hit a nasty bump in the auto-x still dont know why it was there.)

·
Registered
19 Posts
If the car's insurance was only on liability and not full coverage i dont think theft damage would cover it? I had a cav'o'blaster (cavalier) years ago that was broken into stole my radio and broke the rear windshield it was liability and they didnt cover it :p

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the responses. The car did not have any insurance on it since he had it in storage for the winter. It sounds like the front suspension is quite damaged also, so repairs would be more than the car is worth (or more than he paid for it anyhow). Really quite upsetting because it took hom 30+ years to finally get another mustang and he didn't even get to own it for a year, and actually only got to drive it for one summer. I'd sure like to find whomever took it...

I may have an SCT tuner for sale. I think they charge like $50 to transfer it to another car...?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea, it would definately be nice if he could use this as an opportunity to upgrade all the stuff that was wrecked, but he just doesn't have the money for that right now. He was saving up to put some 4.10s into it, but with everything it needs, the cost is just too much. His mechanic made him an offer on the car and I think he is going to take it...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
BTW, we were told that gangs find out where these nice cars are and then just keep checking up on them every so often for the one chance they might get to steal them. A lot of little things had to add up in order for them to even be able to get the car out of his garage (it's usually blocked by his daily driver, but that was in the shop getting repaired) etc etc.
I just wanted to remind everyone not to let your guard down at all, and IMO a starter disabling setup would be a good idea!! I'd hate to see this happen to anybody else's pride and joy!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts