Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first thoughts on a stroker kit was 408, 414, 427. Most of these kits start with a 400M crank that is extensively modified to fit the Windsor block and feature a 4.00" to 4.25" stroke. The first problem would be my block. I have a stock 74 351w block and it would not be able to support a high stroke like I stated above. But a 383 I believe so!! The 74 and earlier castings are noticeably beefier than the 75 to present castings, especially in the critical main-webbing area. So a 4-bolt main conversion, to me it is necessity and only the 74 and earlier blocks have enough meat in the main-webbing to perform this machining.

The plan for my recent build is a 383 cid windsor. I have found that this is the easiest and most popular stroker combination. The plan is offset grinding a stock 351W crank to 3.7" stroke, with a .030 over bore. I’ve then got 377 cid and with a .060 overbore I’m at 383 cid. I have done some searching and eagle makes a high quality, affordable steel rod that works very well in this application. It is 6.200" long and features chevy small block journals. Using this rod gives a very favorable 1.68 rod ratio and is just as happy revving to 6000 rpm in a mild street engine. The rods clear the block with room to spare and no exotic crankshaft balancing is necessary. That would be it for my first problem and I think I have solved it with going with a smaller stroke.

So here comes my second problem, cylinder heads. I wanted to go with the Cleveland 4v heads due to the large valves that are better on high rpm apps. But I have learned that extensive machining will haft to be done. So I plan on going with the performer RPM head for 351-C. They are designed to work with the 351C, 351M, and 400M, they feature 190cc intake runners with 2.05" intake and 1.60" exhaust valves that provide enough volume for power to 6500 rpm. They flow better over a stock Cleveland, but they offer the ability to work on the standard 302 or 351 Windsor block.

To the people who has done high hp builds what is your thoughts on this? My mind is mostly made up but with some very good counter options and information to back it up my mind can always change. I’m not just asking certain people there opinion. To all, feel free to leave your comments. Thanks

·
Registered
141 Posts
You can get the airflow with a set of ported aftermarket heads for the windsor. By time you get the C heads and have everything machined you could just bolt a set of W heads on. Remember that not only do you have to machine the block but then you have to get headers done for your car and get the machine shop to measure push-rod length and order you a set of push-rods. And depending on cylinder bore and valve location you may have to notch the cylinder wall to clear the valve(maybe).

Oh and its a whole new world out in the hot rod world because now
" BOOST---THE REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT" :yes

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
I'm not too familiar with 351 blocks and how much material they have for cylinder walls, but .060 is a lot to take out of there especially if you don't need to. I just like to have as much thickness as I can get, and the extra few cubes isn't worth the risk IMO.

·
Registered
559 Posts
My first thoughts on a stroker kit was 408, 414, 427. Most of these kits start with a 400M crank that is extensively modified to fit the Windsor block and feature a 4.00" to 4.25" stroke. The first problem would be my block. I have a stock 74 351w block and it would not be able to support a high stroke like I stated above. But a 383 I believe so!! The 74 and earlier castings are noticeably beefier than the 75 to present castings, especially in the critical main-webbing area. So a 4-bolt main conversion, to me it is necessity and only the 74 and earlier blocks have enough meat in the main-webbing to perform this machining.

The plan for my recent build is a 383 cid windsor. I have found that this is the easiest and most popular stroker combination. The plan is offset grinding a stock 351W crank to 3.7" stroke, with a .030 over bore. I’ve then got 377 cid and with a .060 overbore I’m at 383 cid. I have done some searching and eagle makes a high quality, affordable steel rod that works very well in this application. It is 6.200" long and features chevy small block journals. Using this rod gives a very favorable 1.68 rod ratio and is just as happy revving to 6000 rpm in a mild street engine. The rods clear the block with room to spare and no exotic crankshaft balancing is necessary. That would be it for my first problem and I think I have solved it with going with a smaller stroke.

So here comes my second problem, cylinder heads. I wanted to go with the Cleveland 4v heads due to the large valves that are better on high rpm apps. But I have learned that extensive machining will haft to be done. So I plan on going with the performer RPM head for 351-C. They are designed to work with the 351C, 351M, and 400M, they feature 190cc intake runners with 2.05" intake and 1.60" exhaust valves that provide enough volume for power to 6500 rpm. They flow better over a stock Cleveland, but they offer the ability to work on the standard 302 or 351 Windsor block.

To the people who has done high hp builds what is your thoughts on this? My mind is mostly made up but with some very good counter options and information to back it up my mind can always change. I’m not just asking certain people there opinion. To all, feel free to leave your comments. Thanks

alot of your info is VERY old, ALL the 400+ inch strokers start with new forgings. NOONE uses a 400 crank anymore. ANY windsor block will handle a 4.030 bore 4.170 stroke combo yielding 427ci, or a 4.100 crank or a 4.00 inch crank. You are doing things we HAD to do way back in the day. Your making this much harder on yourself. Rod ratio is useless, just look at a big block chevy or a 400 chevy. The edelbrock C head is ueless, its a 2v in aluminum.

Any 4 inch crank, 6.200 rod with a 1.280 piston height works great, or a 4.00 inch crank, 6.250 rod and a 1.2350 height piston. I would go back to the chalkboard. Also have you ever had one of these old crank, rod combos balanced?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got you! No I have not gotten the stock crank balanced. The only thing I have done is cleaned, tested and converted the block over to 4bolt main. When I got in from my buddy he already hade it .030 over. My finances are ready for bottom end completion. I was trying to use the stock crank that’s why I was explaining it the way I did. If I have to get a new crank I will that’s no problem. So I’m guessing that’s the route you would go?? I want the max cubes possible but also safe that’s why I picked the 383 stroker.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I got you! No I have not gotten the stock crank balanced. The only thing I have done is cleaned, tested and converted the block over to 4bolt main. When I got in from my buddy he already hade it .030 over. My finances are ready for bottom end completion. I was trying to use the stock crank that’s why I was explaining it the way I did. If I have to get a new crank I will that’s no problem. So I’m guessing that’s the route you would go?? I want the max cubes possible but also safe that’s why I picked the 383 stroker.
theres a reason why everyone runs atleast 408 inches nowadays, that 383-393 setup is antique and can cost you a pretty penny to balance. if you get a balancing bill for 300+ dont be mad

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
theres a reason why everyone runs atleast 408 inches nowadays, that 383-393 setup is antique and can cost you a pretty penny to balance. if you get a balancing bill for 300+ dont be mad
Do you thank the block I have will be able to handle a 408? That was my main concern.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
i vote 408.....just go look around woody1's website he has in his sig.......he owns fordstrokers.....im sure you can get most of what you need from him

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
+1, That was my plan When I got back from Afghanistan, but I found a new edge before I could find a decent priced Foxbody to build.
Alright well I have to think about some things as in what I’m going to do. And still got some research to do. I will keep you all posted on the build, probably be asking some questions here and there. I will post some pics of the block to see what you all think.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts