Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys i have an 02 GT and the engine started to make a knocking noise comming from the passenger side valve cover. So today i took the valve cover off and what i saw was the plastic guide closest to the alternator was flopping in the breeze and could be moved with no effort. Is that my issue? so ill need guides and tensioners right?

·
Registered
656 Posts
alot of times the chain will rub a hole in the tensioner arm. Every 2v I have tore down needed new arms

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I figure if the guided are my issue ill replace them with the tensioner. But my question is is the top guide supposed to move? I thought it was bolted to the engine.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Well I figure if the guided are my issue ill replace them with the tensioner. But my question is is the top guide supposed to move? I thought it was bolted to the engine.
It does move and is held tight by tension, from the tensioners. You need new guides and tensioners most likely. I had the same problem about 8 months ago. I installed new cams, guides, tensioner, chain and oil pump while I was in.

Here is what my passenger guide looked like.

http://s51.beta.photobucket.com/user/bigjohnstud4200/media/Craigslist/cf250060_zpscf25a7b8.mp4.html

This was around 140k.

BTW, mine sounded like knocking as well. It would come and go depending on throttle position and load.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Oil. Change your oil more often and this may not happen. These things work using oil pressure if im not mistaken....

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Oil. Change your oil more often and this may not happen. These things work using oil pressure if im not mistaken....
They do use oil, but the plastic the chain rides on deteriorates.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts