Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys..as the title says..thinking about start modding performance wise. I have a couple of thousand miles left until my warranty is up but I want to start getting ready. Hopefully I can get some decent used parts if I can to save some money. Here are couple of options I ve been thinking:

Bama tune+JLT (or steeda) cold air intake+headers+xpipe

Boss 302 intake manifold+Bama tune+cold air intake

I know I got more research to do...especially on the headers/xpipe. I've read that x pipe gives better gain than h pipe...? Also I don't know the difference between catted x pipe/aftercat xpipe/offroad x pipe. A friend of mine has intake/tune/xpipe set up and he said only one x pipe is a bolt on on AM and others need welding.

I know boss intake mani will have some high rpm gains with a bit of loss on the torque...Not sure if I should wait for people's result with Cobra Jet intake mani since it's significantly more expensive, plus youll need gt500 throttle body/tune/intake.

·
Premium Member
11,663 Posts
I don't think the Cobra Jet intake is going to be a good street manifold. It's far too costly, needs alot of fab work for the air inlet, and would likely need a dyno tune just to get it driveable.

Stick with the basic bolt ons, like the Boss intake, solid tune, and a free flowing exhaust and you should be fine.

·
Want Camels?
1,041 Posts
stick with the boss and intake.. anyone knows how much gain an x pipe would give?

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@Lou Stage,

Thank you for the pm. I will definitely check them out when I get home from work.

Are there big differences in terms of gains with different brands? I mean I am sure there are but is it a big noticeable difference?

Also is it risky to put on all those mods at the same time or should I start with intake/tune, then add other thing? I am guessing the engine would be working harder than normal under WOT with more mods. Is there a such thing as break in period for these mods? Sorry if I sound newbish, I am pretty new at performace mods.

·
Premium Member
11,663 Posts
You can do them one at a time or a batch of mods, just remember the tune is the most important thing to have correct on these cars. All the high dollar parts in the world won't make up for a piss poor tune. It's like all of the suspenssion stuff you've been working on. Spend the money wisely any you will have great results. but unlike the suspenssion, spend money poorly on your powertrain, and you will possibly be spending a bunch more in repairs.

·
Biz Jet Fixer
4,985 Posts
I thought I had one of the higher/est mileages at 44k. You're already near the 60k mile, end of warranty mark?

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
@Lou Stage,

Thank you for the pm. I will definitely check them out when I get home from work.

Are there big differences in terms of gains with different brands? I mean I am sure there are but is it a big noticeable difference?

Also is it risky to put on all those mods at the same time or should I start with intake/tune, then add other thing? I am guessing the engine would be working harder than normal under WOT with more mods. Is there a such thing as break in period for these mods? Sorry if I sound newbish, I am pretty new at performace mods.
There are some advantages like the American racing headers perform pretty damn good but the prices are kinda scary and I have had nothing but good luck with the JBA systems for fitment and great power. I don't see much difference in power. With your 5.0 you can do all the mods I mentioned at one time and be perfectly fine and good to go. I do always recommend you be easy on any mod to start just to make sure the tune is right but all that takes is a few nice and easy test runs and then its play time. Don't hesitate to ask any question whether you think its obvious or hard question. We all have to start somewhere.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@jdos,

I was thinking about the basic warranty (36k miles). In reality I was just making up an excuse to give myself permission to buy more mods :p

@Lou Stage3,

Thank you. I am doing some research right now.

Do any of you guys have the drop in replacement k&n filter? the reviews on the product is amazing for something around 50 bucks.

·
Biz Jet Fixer
4,985 Posts
lol I was about to say...I've been wanting to pull the trigger but I'm waiting til I hit the 60k mark at the end of the summer. Already had one transmission replaced, just waiting on this one to get worse to do it again. lol

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok so after some researching,

I know I am going to go with Offroad x pipe and headers. I want the maximize my gain..and as ignorant as this sound, I personally don't even care about that sound. I've had about 3 different axlebacks and I just liked them in their own way....so I don't think headers/xpipes would make it any worse.

But before buying the exhausts, I would prob get JLT/tuner. They seem like the best bang for the buck.

I've been looking at Kooks/Stainless/American Racing and man they are pricey. I think Falloutx is running ARH and he's got pretty good gains but dam.

How much more gain does the ARH or any of the top end headers/xpipe have over the jba and more affordable ones? I am trying to find dyno sheets but it's merely just people saying what they got on their dyno and doesn't seem that accurate.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Go big and supercharge it. U wont regret it!

·
Biz Jet Fixer
4,985 Posts
They make credit cards for that lol

You realize that link is just for the mid-pipe, right Fat?

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I'd go boss intake over headers. Headers are nice, but $1000+ for 10 hp just doesn't cut it for me.

Personally, get the JLT Intake, an SCT X3 Tuner with a tune, an offroad mid pipe (x or h, your choice. the X gets ~3hp more but the h sounds better imho), and an axleback. Get the boss mani if you want, and then build the suspension so you can handle it.

If you want some extra boost, upgrade to 47# injectors and get an e85 tune.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'd go boss intake over headers. Headers are nice, but $1000+ for 10 hp just doesn't cut it for me.

Personally, get the JLT Intake, an SCT X3 Tuner with a tune, an offroad mid pipe (x or h, your choice. the X gets ~3hp more but the h sounds better imho), and an axleback. Get the boss mani if you want, and then build the suspension so you can handle it.

If you want some extra boost, upgrade to 47# injectors and get an e85 tune.
The headers will give me a lot more than 10 rwhp...at least I am hoping with a tune and intake.

Just to clarify, 1 3/4 is shorty headers and 1 7/8 is longtube/full length right? At least that's waht I thought and when I checked out BBK shorty headers on AM it said it's 1 3/4 so I'm confused...

I have been looking at JBA/BBK/Stainless Works/Kooks/ARH and I am probably going to go with JBA,BBk, or Stainless Works. I would like to know the difference in term of gains between those two. BBK/JBA are significantly cheaper but would there be 1-3 hp difference like people say about ARH/StainlessWorks/Kooks or a lot more? :dunno

Btw I am looking at longtube header with offroad x pipe. JBA is about 850 BBK is about 800 from AM and SW is about 1150 from Stage 3. Kooks and ARH are both like 1.4k+.

·
Biz Jet Fixer
4,985 Posts
Have you completely finished suspension? If not I'd do that first, then worry about power. That's my personal opinion.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am most likely going to get the headers from my cai/tuner. Will it be okay to drive the car for a day or two without a tune?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts