Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Your Resident Badass
4,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I bought this 07 GT a little over a month ago, and its a great car, I wont lie. I planned on a pretty good build for it, and it came pretty loaded as it is with only 16000 miles as well. I was going to buy a 2011 5.0 but I did not like the rear end that much, but its starting to grow on me. As well as painting rear valence and side skirts, I am pretty sure I would be in love.

Now keep in mind I still owe on car seeing as it just got financed, for $23000, which is really good for everything it has and low miles, now would it be a good trade up to swap over loan for a new stang? Ive test drove them and love them, only bad thing I have heard is tranny issues but so what, but is it worth the extra $10000? Then if I started building that, I would have a giant advantage.

Just asking opinions here.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
depending...you could take that 10k and build a beast that would beat teh 5.0

or get a brand new 5.0 and go with the basic bolt ons!

if it was me and i already had the 07 for only a month, i'd just build it!

·
Registered
482 Posts
Just build it up man. Like he said with those extra 10k you could kill any stock 5.0. I too wanted to trade up for the 5.0 but the dealer won't give you me a fair 23k for my 10 sounds like a rip off to me.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The 5.0 is a fantastic car but it's not going anywhere for a while. My advice to you would be to do what you think would make you the happiest. If you can afford swapping up to a 5.0 even though you'll more than likely lose a bit of cash and that's what you want to do.. go ahead. I will say that if I was in your shoes, I would keep and enjoy your current car. Do the mods you want to do and when/if you eventually get tired of it then maybe it's time to reconsider.

·
Your Resident Badass
4,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
depending...you could take that 10k and build a beast that would beat teh 5.0

or get a brand new 5.0 and go with the basic bolt ons!

if it was me and i already had the 07 for only a month, i'd just build it!
Thats what I was thinking, but at same time, N/A the 5.0 smokes this, and it will be my DD/Track at same time.

Just build it up man. Like he said with those extra 10k you could kill any stock 5.0. I too wanted to trade up for the 5.0 but the dealer won't give you me a fair 23k for my 10 sounds like a rip off to me.
Oh yeah easily, It would basically be a swap like I never really owned my car kind of thing but at same time I am in love with it haha.

The 5.0 is a fantastic car but it's not going anywhere for a while. My advice to you would be to do what you think would make you the happiest. If you can afford swapping up to a 5.0 even though you'll more than likely lose a bit of cash and that's what you want to do.. go ahead. I will say that if I was in your shoes, I would keep and enjoy your current car. Do the mods you want to do and when/if you eventually get tired of it then maybe it's time to reconsider.
Yeah the moneys not the issue, more of a wanting more naturally aspirated power, but at same time I could swap or build a motor to do same. I might just have to do a swap to the tr6060 tranny for my 6 speed want. That and the 2014 will be something pretty special im assuming.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
throw a whipple on...and a n/a 5.0 won't even touch you!

go over to the 05-09 section and see what some of those guys did with 10k, and you'll be surprised!

YES the 5.0 is sick, and if you hadn't already payed for your 07 i'd be for that! but losing money to get a 5.0 when you could take the 10k or whatever it is you save and spend it on f/i...

but that's me, personally i love the new interior and the ride is nice! but when it comes to performance, the 4.6 is reliable and you can get the same power the 5.0's get! also you can actually drive it instead of breaking down because tranny issues

·
Registered
577 Posts
You can't always do what makes sense. I had my Camaro for just a little over a year and really tried to like it. Seems every time I got on it was a disappointment. The feel just wasn't there and the problems the dealers couldn't replicate.. I am so much happier with the Mustang and it was worth every penny. Helps I got a great trade in on the Camaro but I would have done it regardless. In the end is what makes you happy. Life is to short to just be satisfied :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
You might be able to sink $10k into the '07 and get a car that'll be faster than a 5 liter in a drag race, but think about a couple of things.
A) It won't be half as reliable or efficient as the STOCK 5-liter
B) You'll NEVER be able to lose the extra 500lbs or so the older cars have on the '11+(the Factory race S197's weigh almost 3900 pounds), and despite this, you'll wear out parts A LOT faster than you will on the '11/'12.
When factories increase the power/performance in a car, they also strengthen EVERYTHING ELSE down to the damn valve-stem caps, so there's no problems or safety issues.
C) That $10k WON'T get you a complete package(power AND suspension/chassis/brakes) that'll whip an '11+
D) Your resale will ALWAYS be less than the newer ones
Now having written all that, I gotta say you need to ask yourself WHY you like one over the other, and WHY you are now thinking about the new one. If it's ALL about power and handling(which is why I bought a '12), lose the '07, and take that $10k you apparently have lying around, and put a hefty down payment on a '12. The base package you'll be starting with is SO much better than what you have now.
If your PRIMARY reason(s) are other than performance, then sit on it for a while. A big factor should be HOW you intend on using it. I don't think I would've got mine if I only planned on driving it on the street. THAT kind of acceleration and speed is just too much for the street, and I CAN'T drive/ride something with that kind of performance ONLY on the road. I personally gotta be able to wring the fuggin thing out, and get my freakin money's worth. But that might just be something only I think about.
One thing's for sure.. DO NOT.. I REPEAT D-O N-O-T go drive an '11/'12 if performance is anywhere high-up in the equation. The Coyote's are SO much faster than the S197...not only that, but their performance level comes in a 'stock' car. Even if you've owned or ridden in a car that was faster, but was heavily modified to get there, the smoothness and control with which these cars do 0-60 in almost 4-seconds flat, or the 1/4 in 12-and-a-half-seconds, is something that will turn any red-blooded American male into a dribbling pile 'O mush. It'll have your brain pinging the rev limiter, resulting in unintelligible phrases coming out of your mouth, like you just stroked out.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Bought a 2006 GT and went back to the same dealer so the wife could test a new Edge. Drove a new 2011 Brembo GT at the same time...had the 2006 a total of 7 days.

It wasn't just the performance. It was the overall change in interior quality, handling, smoothness, and feel.

Cost more, for sure, but got the dealer to swap the 2006 out for what I paid. I lost $117 in taxes.

·
Your Resident Badass
4,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
throw a whipple on...and a n/a 5.0 won't even touch you!

go over to the 05-09 section and see what some of those guys did with 10k, and you'll be surprised!

YES the 5.0 is sick, and if you hadn't already payed for your 07 i'd be for that! but losing money to get a 5.0 when you could take the 10k or whatever it is you save and spend it on f/i...

but that's me, personally i love the new interior and the ride is nice! but when it comes to performance, the 4.6 is reliable and you can get the same power the 5.0's get! also you can actually drive it instead of breaking down because tranny issues
I was planning on either a Whipple or TVS build if I don't go newer.

You can't always do what makes sense. I had my Camaro for just a little over a year and really tried to like it. Seems every time I got on it was a disappointment. The feel just wasn't there and the problems the dealers couldn't replicate.. I am so much happier with the Mustang and it was worth every penny. Helps I got a great trade in on the Camaro but I would have done it regardless. In the end is what makes you happy. Life is to short to just be satisfied :)
Exactly, harder decision than I thought haha.

You might be able to sink $10k into the '07 and get a car that'll be faster than a 5 liter in a drag race, but think about a couple of things.
A) It won't be half as reliable or efficient as the STOCK 5-liter
B) You'll NEVER be able to lose the extra 500lbs or so the older cars have on the '11+(the Factory race S197's weigh almost 3900 pounds), and despite this, you'll wear out parts A LOT faster than you will on the '11/'12.
When factories increase the power/performance in a car, they also strengthen EVERYTHING ELSE down to the damn valve-stem caps, so there's no problems or safety issues.
C) That $10k WON'T get you a complete package(power AND suspension/chassis/brakes) that'll whip an '11+
D) Your resale will ALWAYS be less than the newer ones
Now having written all that, I gotta say you need to ask yourself WHY you like one over the other, and WHY you are now thinking about the new one. If it's ALL about power and handling(which is why I bought a '12), lose the '07, and take that $10k you apparently have lying around, and put a hefty down payment on a '12. The base package you'll be starting with is SO much better than what you have now.
If your PRIMARY reason(s) are other than performance, then sit on it for a while. A big factor should be HOW you intend on using it. I don't think I would've got mine if I only planned on driving it on the street. THAT kind of acceleration and speed is just too much for the street, and I CAN'T drive/ride something with that kind of performance ONLY on the road. I personally gotta be able to wring the fuggin thing out, and get my freakin money's worth. But that might just be something only I think about.
One thing's for sure.. DO NOT.. I REPEAT D-O N-O-T go drive an '11/'12 if performance is anywhere high-up in the equation. The Coyote's are SO much faster than the S197...not only that, but their performance level comes in a 'stock' car. Even if you've owned or ridden in a car that was faster, but was heavily modified to get there, the smoothness and control with which these cars do 0-60 in almost 4-seconds flat, or the 1/4 in 12-and-a-half-seconds, is something that will turn any red-blooded American male into a dribbling pile 'O mush. It'll have your brain pinging the rev limiter, resulting in unintelligible phrases coming out of your mouth, like you just stroked out.
I like the metaphors! Thats the thing, driving a stock '11 was just soooo smooth and the power was insane for being n/a bone stock. The original reason I didn't buy one was the rear end, but its sort of grown on me.

Bought a 2006 GT and went back to the same dealer so the wife could test a new Edge. Drove a new 2011 Brembo GT at the same time...had the 2006 a total of 7 days.

It wasn't just the performance. It was the overall change in interior quality, handling, smoothness, and feel.

Cost more, for sure, but got the dealer to swap the 2006 out for what I paid. I lost $117 in taxes.
I talked to the dealer today about a 2011 GT Brembo and all that jazz, for 29000 used with 3,299 miles on it. So an extra 6000 for a brand new basically beast. Tempting.

·
Registered
29 Posts
That used Brembo would definitely be worth looking in to. That's a fantastic price so long as it wasn't dogged and there's nothing wrong with it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I was planning on either a Whipple or TVS build if I don't go newer.

Exactly, harder decision than I thought haha.

I like the metaphors! Thats the thing, driving a stock '11 was just soooo smooth and the power was insane for being n/a bone stock. The original reason I didn't buy one was the rear end, but its sort of grown on me.

I talked to the dealer today about a 2011 GT Brembo and all that jazz, for 29000 used with 3,299 miles on it. So an extra 6000 for a brand new basically beast. Tempting.

Just because you owe 23k on your car doesnt mean thats what the dealer will give your for trade in on a 2011. Im willing to bet you are upside down on your 07. Dont roll negative equity into a new loan, never a good idea.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
people your all missing the point

he OWNS the 07 already! so when he goes to trade in, he will take a loss!

yes brand new 5.0, sweet!

but taking a loss on a car is stupid, take the money you want to spend on the 5.0 and build your 07, you can make that 07 faster, smoother, upgrade the interior! i mean to me it's about bonding with the car, it shouldnt be a hassle to mod, it should be fun!

my other concern. 11' breaking down! sadly the new 5.0 is becoming a joke to our competitors! just the other day i was in an argument with an camaro owner, i said the 5.0 would win, and he automatically said "if they can even get into gear...", from that point on it's all tranny trash talk!

so words spreads fast!

i say build the reliable already owned 07

·
Registered
11 Posts
people your all missing the point

he OWNS the 07 already! so when he goes to trade in, he will take a loss!

yes brand new 5.0, sweet!

but taking a loss on a car is stupid, take the money you want to spend on the 5.0 and build your 07, you can make that 07 faster, smoother, upgrade the interior! i mean to me it's about bonding with the car, it shouldnt be a hassle to mod, it should be fun!

my other concern. 11' breaking down! sadly the new 5.0 is becoming a joke to our competitors! just the other day i was in an argument with an camaro owner, i said the 5.0 would win, and he automatically said "if they can even get into gear...", from that point on it's all tranny trash talk!

so words spreads fast!

i say build the reliable already owned 07

He doesnt own it at all. He owes 23,000 on it like he states in his intial post.

I got rid of my 2011 stick car and picked up a 2011 Auto, best thing I ever did! The auto is awesome with a tune! I like driving stick, but not with the POS trans/clutch issues.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Not everyone has an issues with the clutch/trans.. Very few people go online and post about them having no problems whatsoever and continue posting every few days updating that there aren't any issues. I'm not saying there isn't a problem because there are obviously some bad ones out there.. but that shouldn't deter you from getting what you want.. Worst case scenario throw in an aftermarket clutch and you're golden.. The clutch will still cost less than the automatic option.

Don't want to get off topic here I'm just trying to say that the trans issues should be a concern, but not a detterant to mikeyfitz's final decision.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
He doesnt own it at all. He owes 23,000 on it like he states in his intial post.

I got rid of my 2011 stick car and picked up a 2011 Auto, best thing I ever did! The auto is awesome with a tune! I like driving stick, but not with the POS trans/clutch issues.
yes, but if he was to trade in...he would take a loss? or try to sell he would also

and wazslow. obviously not every 5.0 has trouble, but ford wouldn't put out a TSB if it was a large problem for many people.

point is, he has a perfectly good reliable car now, that is capable of power/sexyiness (just go take a look at the 05-10 section, cars like nasty and yu2slow ect)

i wouldn't take the chance of MAYBE getting a lemon our of the bunch

OH and AUTO FTW!!!! haha

·
Your Resident Badass
4,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yes, but if he was to trade in...he would take a loss? or try to sell he would also

and wazslow. obviously not every 5.0 has trouble, but ford wouldn't put out a TSB if it was a large problem for many people.

point is, he has a perfectly good reliable car now, that is capable of power/sexyiness (just go take a look at the 05-10 section, cars like nasty and yu2slow ect)

i wouldn't take the chance of MAYBE getting a lemon our of the bunch

OH and AUTO FTW!!!! haha
Its basically a loan swap is what would happen, I take a bigger payment on, im giving them the car back. As I bought it from them and have put on maybe 1000 more miles. Not taking a loss in anyway, I only now just made the first payment. For an extra 18 a month I can get that 5.0, just not sure.

But yeah, I am starting to think I will keep my car for awhile, maybe switch out for the 50 year anniversary :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Its basically a loan swap is what would happen, I take a bigger payment on, im giving them the car back. As I bought it from them and have put on maybe 1000 more miles. Not taking a loss in anyway, I only now just made the first payment. For an extra 18 a month I can get that 5.0, just not sure.

But yeah, I am starting to think I will keep my car for awhile, maybe switch out for the 50 year anniversary :D
You paid 23k for the 07, im willing to bet they wont take it back for 23k. Your going to roll that difference into the new loan. So say now they give you 20k for your car, you have to roll that into the new loan which will now be for 32k instead of the 29k they are selling the 5.0 for. This isnt my first rodeo, ive had TONS of cars. There is no way $18 a month is going to do it. $18 extra a month for 60 months is only an additional $1,080 over the coarse of the loan, doesnt make any sense.

·
Your Resident Badass
4,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You paid 23k for the 07, im willing to bet they wont take it back for 23k. Your going to roll that difference into the new loan. So say now they give you 20k for your car, you have to roll that into the new loan which will now be for 32k instead of the 29k they are selling the 5.0 for. This isnt my first rodeo, ive had TONS of cars. There is no way $18 a month is going to do it. $18 extra a month for 60 months is only an additional $1,080 over the coarse of the loan, doesnt make any sense.
Yeah I was doing math in my head myself and it didn't make much sense either, probably getting fed bs. Regardless I will have this car payed off in 3 years, just around time for 2014, so I will wait till then. Thanks for responses everybody.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts