Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Token asian guy
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys, my next mod will most likely be gears. I have the stock 3.31s and they kinda suck, so I'm thinking of getting some FRPP 3.73s, but thinking it might not be enough. So I'm browsing around and see Pro 5.0 makes 3.90 gears. Anyone ever used them before? They're product page says they're quieter and stronger than any other gears out there. I hope it's not false advertisement. pro5.0 shifters So what do you guys think? FRPP 3.73s or Pro 5.0 3.90s?

·
Registered
664 Posts
Don't know man. I am also running stock 3.31's and gears are defiantly on my to do list. I was gonna go with FRPP 3.73's but I think I will base it off your results, that is if you go with the 3.90's. Sounds like a happy medium between the 3.73 and 4.10's though.

·
Token asian guy
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I'm thinking I'll need them since I'll lose some tq down low and the Boss can rev to 7800.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I have 331 and a friend has 373 his is pretty wick feeling but I Prolly would go over that with as close
As this new tranny is and I've always only used frpp gears and never had problems

·
Registered
748 Posts
I made the switch from 3.31's to 5.10's over the winter. I went with FRPP 3.73's I have not had it back down the track yes to see a numbers difference. But I can tell you this.

I was a hell of a difference on the street. On my street tires I can pretty much mash the gas in first and most of the time second and spin the tires pretty good.

My 3.31's just pulled. I also shift a lot more. The skinny of it though is I am happy with the gears feels like I gained 50 SOTP horsepower.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm diggin' the 3.73's. No track duty yet, and you row 'em pretty quick in stop-and-go duty. But I'm pretty impressed.

·
Not Banned
6,620 Posts
i don't know what the specs are on the new transmission's gears, but with 6 gears to choose from, why wouldn't you want to just step up to 4.10s. at least on my 3650, there's only like a 300 rpm difference at highway speeds in 5th.

·
Token asian guy
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i don't know what the specs are on the new transmission's gears, but with 6 gears to choose from, why wouldn't you want to just step up to 4.10s. at least on my 3650, there's only like a 300 rpm difference at highway speeds in 5th.
I would be shifting a lot with 4.10s

MT-82

1st 3.66
2nd 2.43
3rd 1.69
4th 1.32
5th 1.00
6th 0.65
Final drive 3.31:1

1st: 3.380:1
2nd: 2.000:1
3rd: 1.320:1
4th: 1.000:1
5th: 0.670:1

·
Registered
577 Posts
What transmission? Coming from an auto with I think 3.27 gears to a manual with 3.73's was a night and day difference. I can't imagine going any higher then 3.73s as the shifts are already very quick for a DD. I would think past this and you would never need to use first gear for DD.

·
Token asian guy
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't fear the gear, I've had 4.10s in my Mach and 01gt. With these new trannys I'm not sure of what gears are right for my car. Plus i want to eventually get a supercharger or turbo, so I really don't want too much gear.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Swervo, if you plan on going with a supercharger or turbo in the future you may want to reconsider; however, that will also depend on what you’re looking for at the end of the day. A handful of new 5.0's with 3:73's are finding that once they reached the ~10'ish second range, they are running out of 4th gear which requires them to shift into 5th at the end of their run. Solution was to drop back down to 3:55 or 3:31 gears and they can pull through in 4th. I see your car is more of a street car so this may or may not be an issue for you, just keep it in mind as you make your decision.

Certainly stock or slightly modded the 3:31's feel sluggish, but I think they and/or 3:55's will balance out with a supercharger etc. in the future. 3:73’s are great for the street to a point, it all depends on how much RWHP you plan on putting down and what you’re looking for at the end of day.

·
Yes, I am your Daddy
983 Posts
Swerv, I have the factory 3.73 and I love em. I think its perfect :)

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have 4.10s and love them, with my 315NT05R, I mash the throttle and it goes. I considered 3.90's but my shop (JPC) said they are VERY prone to whine and noise.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Went from 3.55 to 4.10 and it's the best thing I did to my car yet. 1st gear is short, yes, but still goes to about 28mph, especially with increased redline. I do start off in 2nd fairly often when I am just putting around though, and sometimes shift 2, 4, 6 if trying to keep the revs down. When I shift near redline, the revs only drop to about 6k. I think they would be perfect for an N/A car with Boss intake, and I am strongly considering getting a Boss intake now myself.

I will only use Ford Racing gears because of the whine stories of basically all other brands, so that helped my decision between 3.90 and 4.10. It was a huge difference and took some getting used to, but after 500 miles of driving around I am used to the new shifting points and absolutely love the gears. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
myself personally would get 410s. these new 2011s love to rev

·
Registered
199 Posts
What's your top speed now in 4th gear and have you taken your car to the track yet?
Not 100% sure, car is back in the shop getting a new tranny and Mcleod RXT clutch in preparation for some booooost :D

No I have not been to the track, after I did LCAs, NT05R and the rest of my suspension my tranny broke (no 5th gear)....but 1st through 4th were a hell of a good time

1 - 20 of 21 Posts