Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
33,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the car is a 1997 cobra

i blew out a catalytic converter a few days ago, so i said **** it, why not redo my whole exhaust.

i'm looking at these headers. will they work on a cobra?

Mustang 96-98 Headers, Long Tube, 1 5/8, Ceramic, 5 Speed Only by BBK at LRS - Same Day Shipping!

with either a high flow catted h-pipe or o/r h-pipe

has anybody installed longtubes before? how hard is it? what all needs to be done? how long does it take? do i have to pull the engine?

what about 02 sensors? do i need to drill into the longtubes to install them or what? would i also need MIL eliminators?

i'm still kind of on the fence about this.. any reason why i should or shouldn't go for it? keep in mind i live in georgia, so i have to get my car inspected every year...

·
Registered
978 Posts
well i can answer a couple of questions.

the sensors should come with an extension kit or you might have to buy them seperate i dont know. cant look at the link.
if you get inspected (im from GA) it all depends on the shop. the MIL eliminators if done right you "might" get away with it, but depending on the shop i dont know. :(
installing them is not "too" hard but you will have to lift the engine up a bit, i know i had too on mine but after that it was just getting out the old pipes that was the hardest.
sorry i couldnt help more but that is all i have for now.

Reactions: BWAL

·
Registered
978 Posts
you will be fine with ground clearance on the tubes, you mid-pipe will hand down more than your tubes will.

·
Registered
649 Posts
long tubes on a 97 is alot of work, and will require that you drop the whole Kmember. I had a mustang specialty shop put my BBK longtubes on my 98 cobra, and it took 8 hrs of labor. the problem is that the engine and heads are so wide that there isnt' room to remove the bolts or get anything in or out for that matter

·
It's in the details Mod!
11,051 Posts
Sounds like it is the same PITA, that it is on the 01's. That is exactly why I am not getting long tubes, or even considering them for mine. Not unless I ever have to pull the motor. That will be the only time I will consider longtubes.

·
Registered
328 Posts
they arent terrible, its about a fulls days labor at our shop, we charge 350$ to install a set if that gives you any idea... The bbk headers are about your best bang for the buck headers... you will have to buy the O2 exetenders seperate, the bbk ones run like 40$ a set. If you want to get an off-road h or x pipe, then i would say to forget the mil eliminators and go for an sct3015 programmer, they come with power proven tunes and can turn off the rear O2s, so you will pass all but the visual inspection for the emission testing..

·
Premium Member
33,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Premium Member
14,288 Posts
how did you blow it out?

<----snickers....teehee

·
Premium Member
14,288 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,288 Posts
swapping the cat is still cheaper and easier. lol
i don't think it's any easier.... cheaper maybe...... but i'm sure he can find a used pipe for under a hundred

·
Doc
37,101 Posts
really? I guess you aren't as advanced in the laws of "my pockets are empty but I need my **** to work." lol

A cat for his car is like $60.
new.
that, 2 c clamps and a saw and you are done :D

·
Premium Member
14,288 Posts
really? I guess you aren't as advanced in the laws of "my pockets are empty but I need my **** to work." lol

A cat for his car is like $60.
new.
that, 2 c clamps and a saw and you are done :D
bubba's got deep pockets

he makes the arby's secret sauce

·
Premium Member
33,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i'm still replacing the cat, too. the plan is to take it to a shop tomorrow to get it installed ($175), buy an o/r H-pipe, install the new H-pipe, and just hold on to the stock one for when i have to get the car inspected next year

·
Premium Member
33,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i've jizzed in a couple of roast beef sandwiches in my day

1 - 20 of 34 Posts