Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I don't use the rear seat, so I want to delete it. However I wanna build a delete myself. I don't wanna use wood cause I wanna stay light. So I've been brain storming and as some of you know, I'm in to dirt late models and thought about making it out of sheet metal, or roll plastic, leaning towards plastic.

My idea is to get one peice/sheet and make use the excisting mounting holes as the seat. With it though, I plan to make a "triangle" brace that would run parrell (trunk side) and mount it halfway up on the delete peice. Then mount a peice of alluminom angle on the front side (inside of car) and make another peice to cover where the bottom of the seats would of been. I would like to put it on a hing or mount it both side with zuess nuts ( not sure how to spell it) so this way I have a compartment for storage.

What do you all think about this idea? Sorry for Amy punctuation and spelling error. Also I have access to a sheet metal bender and etc....

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
You can buy one for 100. That's what I an going to do. Instead of it turning into a weekend project, with supplies, cutting and measuring.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I love fabrication and honestly I could do it for around $20 with supplies, as for the measuring part, what I like to do is make a templet and trace it, I would use card board, which is the same thickness as the plastic, I honestly (after the templet is made) could have it done in 2 hours or lessi

·
ZYZZ Brah
3,630 Posts
I hear the one AM sells is a piece of ****. I've been wanting to make one myself but havent found the time. I'm very interested OP! Do it and post pix

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How about this, say I do mine, you like it, what if you paid me say 20-30 over cost and ill make you one?

Right now I have a blanket up pretty much how I want it lol

·
DEC '12 ROTM CO-Winner
5,081 Posts
Say a thread about it a long time ago on another forum and the guy was making the emblems and such into the backing. Saw a Roush one and wanted to try to make one but my back seats get used :(

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Say a thread about it a long time ago on another forum and the guy was making the emblems and such into the backing. Saw a Roush one and wanted to try to make one but my back seats get used :(
Hmm that's another idea, I have access to a laser at school

I used the cobra emblem and put it on my box I made, looks really good

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
If you make one and its amazing, ill buy it. BUT it can not look cheap, it must have access to small storage under stock bench seat and look good.

What material are you using again??

·
The Mean Green
5,528 Posts
The best looking one Ive found is from K Dezines, it fits flush with the trim panels instead of being recessed in. Thats the one Im gunna try to duplicate if I ever get around to it. For now I just gutted all the brackets, supports and seat belts, so it looks like the seat is still there but its pretty much leather wrapped foam and it shaved like 17lbs.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you make one and its amazing, ill buy it. BUT it can not look cheap, it must have access to small storage under stock bench seat and look good.

What material are you using again??
It will have access to underneath, but I'm kinda thinking about designing one with braces in it, and another one that's basically there for looks to keep weight to a minum

As of right now I'm leaning towards roll plastic, which is what they use on the bottom if dirt late models, because of the price, and ease to work with, plus i wouldn't think it will have any noises to it. It will be fastened in 12 points just the back, hard part is figuring way to mount the front of the bottom with out having to drill new holes, I want to use factory holes where possible.

Also my design would be with out the filler peice but the carpet or whatever you want to call it would still be in place on the top (where speakers are)

Also consdering to brace the back peice to the shock mounts

Now for where the bottom of the seats are, I'm leanig towards about 5 fasteners using a flat head Skrew driver to pull it off to access under it. They also make little wing nuts that can be turned by hand but I think skrews would look better.

In the morning ill take a picture of the blanket I put up to get a visual of the way it would mount. Next step is card board, but I won't be able to do that till Saturday

·
Wanna be show worthy.
11,838 Posts
How about this, say I do mine, you like it, what if you paid me say 20-30 over cost and ill make you one?

Right now I have a blanket up pretty much how I want it lol
I'd buy one as well.

Sent from my LG-E739 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
What is roll plastic?

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What is roll plastic?
For some reason I can't upload pictures but, Google dirt late model, typically its mounted on the bottom of each side. Basically its plastic about say a 1/16th of a inch thick, comes in a roll. But its strong, light and flexibable, its not brittle like some, when I raced go karts we actually made the side out of it, and it could get folded, but it would go right back out. I also thought about using spring steel for the support brackets, and spring steel is a stronger steel and it can bend then springs back to shape or I could use flat bar of alluminom. I did a quick sketch, if you pm your email, ill take a picture of it and send it to you sense I can't upload pictures

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
BUT the downside is both the sheet metal and plastic can get scratched easy, however its not to noticeable

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Sounds good, keep us updated. Don't drop off the face of the earth in a week.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Went with mmr. Love mine!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts