Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well right now I have the roush short throw shifter and am fairly happy with it. However it seems that everyone thinks the MGW is 10x better and I was just wanting to hear from some people that have it why is it so much better than the other shifters out there?

Also if I were to switch to the MGW would I be able to use the roush shift arm? I really like the look and feel of it.

This is my current setup
ROUSH Performance: ROUSH Ford Mustang Short Throw Shifter
ROUSH Performance: ROUSH Billet Ford Mustang Shifter Arm (I would really like to keep this)

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
I'm not sure about the S197 shifter, but for the SN95/Foxbody shifters, the MGW uses a proprietary shift handle mount that allows you to change the angle of the shift-lever, but causes it to not be able to use anyone else's shift levers. Looking at the pictures on their website, it looks to be the same with the S197 unit.

Honestly, even if the MGW is a better shift, if you're fairly happy with your current setup, I see no reason to make the change.

My recommendation would be to hold off until you can find someone else that has the MGW, see how it feels, and make your final decision at that point.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I have not come across anyone that has the MGW yet but I have thought about that.
Do you or anyone else know where I can buy the sound and thermal insulation piece that they have in their kit or somethng like it? I guess that is one of the issues I have with my current shifter, the noise and the heat that comes up through the console.

·
Registered
548 Posts
you will not be able to use the roush arm. the roush bolts into each other. the MGW is a round piece that slides into a hole and the metal surrounding the arm is scrwed together with a bolt.

·
Registered
408 Posts
just yesterday I read an article on 5.0 Mustang April issue on these shifters, they had nothing but good things to say, and mentioned something about it being adjustable and feels like an inner short throw rather than external

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
Don't expect it to be "10 times" better. It's going to be better. No one is ever going to be able to tell you if it's going to be worth it. I notice every little difference so it was a huge difference between it and the other shifters I tried. I had the original MGW and ended up selling it to buy the "new" MGW which is pictured above. It's a really great piece with a ton of engineering. A lot of thought went into building it.

If you really wanted to get the Roush shifter arm on there you could fab something up to work. I saw a member on S197 Forum, I believe, do exactly like this. They took the 'shifter rod' and modified the two and meshed them together by cutting and welding.

Pros:

• Adjustable in the throw and the shifter location.
  • The two rear pins help with torque deflection.
  • Built like a tank.
  • Nothing on the market like it.
Cons:

• Nothing
just yesterday I read an article on 5.0 Mustang April issue on these shifters, they had nothing but good things to say, and mentioned something about it being adjustable and feels like an inner short throw rather than external
Yes, it's completely adjustable. Look at the block on the bottom with the two deriln blue bushings. All you have to do is disconnect the shift linkage and you can spin the block to adjust the length of throw.

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
Just checked out their website it looks like something I might try. I wonder if Dynamat would serve the same purpose?
Dynamat might work, but near as I know Dynamat is really designed for sound insulation, whereas Koolmat is really designed for heat insulation. If heat is the issue, I'd go with Koolmat.

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
MGW includes Dynamat for the tunnel, than a rubber seal, than a heat insulation pad, as well as the use of the OEM shifter seal/boot.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Dynamat might work, but near as I know Dynamat is really designed for sound insulation, whereas Koolmat is really designed for heat insulation. If heat is the issue, I'd go with Koolmat.
My tri-ax came with dynamat and when it was not in there it was real loud and heat was coming in like crazy.

But when I put it in there I don"t hear anything and the heat is 95% gone I remember even when the stock one was in there heat still made it way threw on a hot day. Cup holder would get hot.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I don't have one but I have never heard anything or seen anything bad about MGW!

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
I was having a **** load of trouble hitting 3rd gear with a triax shifter (supercharged) and switched to MGW and it's flawless in every way. It took me a month to get my head right and begin to trust the MGW after the **** the triax put me through. No bullshit! I've got well over a million stick miles under my belt and that triax had me scared to try for 3rd at 6000-plus rpm's. Sometimes I would shift from 3rd to 4th and that triax SOB would have me drop from 3rd into 2nd without warning.

·
Registered
360 Posts
What would everyone recommend as far as shifter throw level. It's from 1-10 from what I hear?

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
5 for me too.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts