Modded Mustang Forums banner

Thinking of claying my car

2K views 27 replies 14 participants last post by  Blank 
#1 ·
The weather here in NC is supposed to be nice this weekend in the 70's or close to it. So after reading a bunch of posts and watching some videos I was thinking of going ahead and claying/waxing or sealing my car. To the best of my knowledge it's never been clayed and has never had a paint correction. I can't do a full correction due to the fact that I live in the barracks and well.. yeah lol. Should I go ahead and clay it? Yes, no, maybe-so? :feedback

#6 ·
#4 ·
Why's this even a discussion? I mean if you have the means to do it, then just do it. It can only help your car look better unless you somehow mess it up lol.

#16 ·
Megs OTC clay kit will get the job done, just be careful not to mar your finish, use lots of lube.

I'm kind of a noob when it comes to detailing. I'm just trying to figure out what's best to use: a liquid, paste, carnuba, etc..
Each one of those has a strength and a weekness.

Carnauba waxes (good ones) usually come in a paste that ranges in hardness, carnauba offers the wettest, sharpest, deepest look, but isnt the most durable option for protection, usually get 4-12 weeks on average before you need to reapply, some last longer and others shorter.

Liquid waxes may contain carnauba wax in their formulation by weight or volume, but are different in composition.

Liquid sealants (non otc) are synthetic in their makeup and offer a look that is almost as good as a carnauba, while they dont look quite as good, they are very durable, most good sealants last 3-6 months strong some longer.

Alot of people like to seal their car with a synthetic sealant, and once its cured, top it off with a quality carnauba paste wax. This is a great combination of great protection/durability and that wet/deep look that a carnauba offers.

Get to readin! lots to learn!

Welcome to the obsession sir. :)

Reactions: akoeppel
#17 ·
Megs OTC clay kit will get the job done, just be careful not to mar your finish, use lots of lube.

Each one of those has a strength and a weekness.

Carnauba waxes (good ones) usually come in a paste that ranges in hardness, carnauba offers the wettest, sharpest, deepest look, but isnt the most durable option for protection, usually get 4-12 weeks on average before you need to reapply, some last longer and others shorter.

Liquid waxes may contain carnauba wax in their formulation by weight or volume, but are different in composition.

Liquid sealants (non otc) are synthetic in their makeup and offer a look that is almost as good as a carnauba, while they dont look quite as good, they are very durable, most good sealants last 3-6 months strong some longer.

Alot of people like to seal their car with a synthetic sealant, and once its cured, top it off with a quality carnauba paste wax. This is a great combination of great protection/durability and that wet/deep look that a carnauba offers.

Get to readin! lots to learn!

Welcome to the obsession sir. :)

Thanks for the info. Reps! I wish I had a garage, life would be so much easier lol :yes

#9 ·
Go with Chemical Guys! I used to buy OTC stuff all the time and ever since I switched over to CG, my paint has never looked better. Just go to their website and just browse around, you can also go on YouTube and watch Handz tell you all about the products and even show great instructional steps on how to apply the products.

#10 ·
I plan on ordering some CG stuff when I convince somebody I work with that lives off base for me to ship stuff to their house :shiftyeyes . Being here on an Army base all I have is a PO Box and CG won't ship to them. All I've heard is good things from CG :rockon

#11 ·
I know how you feel, when I was in South Korea and I had an APO address I could never get anything sent to me.

#18 ·
with clay it doesnt matter much. megs OTC will work fine. you just need to use lube and make sure you use plenty of it. and i second everything modded just said. i currently us a blacklight as a sealant has some correction benefits then i top that with a nuda followed by a Quik detailer.

since you cannoy correct id recommend the Blacklight from CQ but poorboy blackhole is another recommendation im wanting to try when i run out of blacklight.

#19 ·
Blacklight is good choice. I like mother's clay. Works the better than meguire's IMO. Tried two new clays, mothers and meguire's on the same panel right next to each other using the same mother's showtime detailer as lube. Put your hand in a ziploc bag and lightly go over the surface before and after you clay. That will make sure you're getting the impurities and contaminants off.

#20 ·
I would suggest a good QD (quick detail) spray for your claying process.

Ultima Waterless-Wash+ (UWW+) is an epic QD spray. 1/2 ounce of solution to 22 ounces of distilled water! In other words you will get a TON for your money.

Its very slick, smells good, and can be used for many applications.

-Blink

#22 ·
Agreed Perple!

In fact, I even picked up an extra bottle from my last DC order!

Love this stuff! Especially because it LASTS and it works well.

-Blink

#23 ·
Claying the car really takes the finish to the next level. I remember doing it for the first time on my 08GT.. before getting into detailing, I had always done the wash, wax, n buff but after claying the entire car, the difference was pretty amazing. The surface was like glass.

#28 ·
i like the megs kit it does the trick. the only quality CB ive used was the CG clayblock, sorry handz i wasnt impressed with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.