Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Hey guys,

So I took my car to the track after getting my mutha thumpr's put in and my 4:10's to see how the car ran. Well, long story short, I accidentally slammed the car from from 3 to 2 at wot and 6500 rpm's and now my car is whining when my foot is not on the gas. It still whines when the car is in neutral as well while coasting. The tranny lets me go into each gear without any trouble and it shifts normally. Any help on the situation is appreciated. Obviously, I am taking the car in next week to have it looked at, but I was wondering what some people thought it might be. My two guesses are either the tranny or the gears or differential My questions are:

1. If the tranny was hurt, would there still be whining in neutral?
2. Could this be the differential or the gears?
3. Is there any chance I got lucky and the gears might need to be re-shimmed?

Just to clarify, there is no whining when I am on the gas. It only occurs when I am out of the gas in all gears and in neutral as well.

The car does not whine at all when it is not moving. The whining noise is still present if you are going at a set speed and put the car in neutral. You can hear the whining stop as I slow down to a complete stop. I just hope it is something in the rear and not the tranny. The noise seems to go away when the car is under load, acceleration seems to be normal and the clutch is not slipping at all."

BTW his car is a 2007 GT/CS 5-speed with the same mods as me minus the Mickeys

Any help diagnosing would be greatly appreciated...Thanks

·
MM's resident Juice head
7,913 Posts
driveshaft, gears, axels, everything took a shock load....good luck

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Sounds like the ring and pinion.

·
Premium Member
4,253 Posts
Wow...that is not good...but again, he may be VERY lucky. Maybe the clutch slipped or something...or something gave up in the rear end...or the tires broke loose.

Did the car over-rev?, ie did he let the clutch out as he slammed it into second and bury the RPM's like to 7,8 or 9,000 RPM? I don't have experience with an over-revved Mustang, so I don't know what the damage typically is...one some cars the valve springs cannot provide adequate pressure to keep them opening and closing fast enough at that high an RPM so the pistons will slam into the valves...causing significant damage or sometimes total destruction (IE E36 BMW M3). I don't know if the Mustang has an "interference" design like that on the piston/valve interface. If it does, I am hoping the whining is because something else gave way - like the rear end, clutch, or tranny.

I would try to isolate where the sound is coming from.

A boroscope into a spark-plug hole may reveal piston / valve damage...if there is one that can work on a Mustang...and a compression check would be a good idea. Does the car whine if revved in neutral with the clutch in? Any smoking? How's oil pressure? Does the whining increase with tight turns in a parking lot?

·
Premium Member
4,253 Posts
Oh, and tell him to buy an MGW shifter.

·
MM's resident Juice head
7,913 Posts
Any aftermarket shifter will hell with the 3rd to 2nd problem

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow...that is not good...but again, he may be VERY lucky. Maybe the clutch slipped or something...or something gave up in the rear end...or the tires broke loose.

Did the car over-rev?, ie did he let the clutch out as he slammed it into second and bury the RPM's like to 7,8 or 9,000 RPM? I don't have experience with an over-revved Mustang, so I don't know what the damage typically is...one some cars the valve springs cannot provide adequate pressure to keep them opening and closing fast enough at that high an RPM so the pistons will slam into the valves...causing significant damage or sometimes total destruction (IE E36 BMW M3). I don't know if the Mustang has an "interference" design like that on the piston/valve interface. If it does, I am hoping the whining is because something else gave way - like the rear end, clutch, or tranny.

I would try to isolate where the sound is coming from.

A boroscope into a spark-plug hole may reveal piston / valve damage...if there is one that can work on a Mustang...and a compression check would be a good idea. Does the car whine if revved in neutral with the clutch in? Any smoking? How's oil pressure? Does the whining increase with tight turns in a parking lot?
it only whines when in gear and foot off the gas...either while coasting in neutral or everytime he just lets off the gas...does not whine at idle or when revved if car is sitting still only while coasting or driving

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
MM's resident Juice head
7,913 Posts
hmm, never felt a steeda, does it have a centering spring?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Premium Member
4,253 Posts
it only whines when in gear and foot off the gas...either while coasting in neutral or everytime he just lets off the gas...does not whine at idle or when revved if car is sitting still only while coasting or driving
That actually sounds pretty promising to me. In other words, it is not an engine sound...so that kind of narrows it down to transmission, clutch, or rear end.

I'd start with the rear end next. Maybe go to a parking lot and have a friend sit in the trunk and drive around at low speed and listen? Or pull the rear seat down and have someone sit back there and stick their ear over the rear diff area.

You may have to get a trunk-monkey.

If it coming from there pull the rear end apart.

·
MM's resident Juice head
7,913 Posts
my gears started howling right after that 3rd to 2nd shift...turn up the sound on my vid and you can hear it...i went in and had new gears put in under warrenty. there is a TSB for gear while on he 07's so i got lucky

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That actually sounds pretty promising to me. In other words, it is not an engine sound...so that kind of narrows it down to transmission, clutch, or rear end.

I'd start with the rear end next. Maybe go to a parking lot and have a friend sit in the trunk and drive around at low speed and listen? Or pull the rear seat down and have someone sit back there and stick their ear over the rear diff area.

You may have to get a trunk-monkey.

If it coming from there pull the rear end apart.
yeah he's takin it in to the place that installed his gears sometime soon to have them take a look at it to see if its back there

my gears started howling right after that 3rd to 2nd shift...turn up the sound on my vid and you can hear it...i went in and had new gears put in under warrenty. there is a TSB for gear while on he 07's so i got lucky
unfortunatly he put 4.10s in so no more warrenty :(

1 - 20 of 32 Posts