·
Baker Jr.
3,472 Posts
you mean my heads?

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you wouldnt be leaving those rooms filthy after sneaking in the maids for a lil 1 on 3 action then you might would get a raise and buy these heads. Go ahead and tell everyone about your lil 1 on 3.

·
Banned
7,964 Posts
:popcorn...im waiting to hear about the 1 on 3

on the other hand the block should be good with a little cleaning

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cleaning is done by....? Gas, oil, toothbrush, rags,? Or is there something special that will really hook it up?

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
no posts when the subject was the shortblock. I tell yall bandit has a lil 1 on 3 action going and everyone posts. LOL.

·
Banned
7,964 Posts
Cleaning is done by....? Gas, oil, toothbrush, rags,? Or is there something special that will really hook it up?
Id clean the block deck with some gasket remover from vato zone and some coolant flush, maybe even give it a double dose of the coolant flush from the way things look.

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
you mean your actually thinking about putting that motor in as-is with some cleaning? :eek: where did you find it? under water? there's WAY too much of what looks like rust at the very top of the cyl. wall's. that short block would be getting rebuilt before I ever even thought about putting it in my car.

·
Baker Jr.
3,472 Posts
The guy said it has 12k miles :)

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
The guy said it has 12k miles :)
it may be low miles but it clearly has either sat out side for quite a while or was under water. either of which is very not good. I guess if the price was right, it's a good core for a rebuild.

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
its been sitting for about 2 years under a sheet... but yes only 12k miles on her, although she is a bit dirty
dirts no problem, it's the contition of the cyl. wall's (not to mention the crank & rod journals) that I'd be worried about, there's a TON of rust on everything in those pic's.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Looks like they put something on the cylinder walls to keep them from rusting. I'd clean the gasket surface, throw the heads on it and check the compression. The ring at the top of the cylinder is normal as the oil doesn't get to it to lube it. I know you know that though. Just trying to sound smarter than I am.

·
Registered
177 Posts
since i received it, all ive done was take off the heads and made sure that it would crank by hand... turns very smoothly and what not but as for the rusty appearance, like i said its been sitting for a about 2 years. the cylinder walls are in good shape though from what i can tell

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
Looks like they put something on the cylinder walls to keep them from rusting. I'd clean the gasket surface, throw the heads on it and check the compression. The ring at the top of the cylinder is normal as the oil doesn't get to it to lube it. I know you know that though. Just trying to sound smarter than I am.
that ring around the top is bigger than what your talking about & isnt even from cyl. to cyl. call it what you want, from the pic's I'll call it rust. easy enough to tell, if you run your finger around the top of the cyl. & it come's back with anything other than oil on it, it needs honed at a minimum but most likely wil need bored.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
since i received it, all ive done was take off the heads and made sure that it would crank by hand... turns very smoothly and what not but as for the rusty appearance, like i said its been sitting for a about 2 years. the cylinder walls are in good shape though from what i can tell
Yeah, they don't look that bad to me. I'd use it. If I were building a high dollar engine I would do like Casper said, but if I bought it to save money, I would clean it and use it.

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
Yeah, they don't look that bad to me. I'd use it. If I were building a high dollar engine I would do like Casper said, but if I bought it to save money, I would clean it and use it.
if I was gonna throw it in a d/d, maybie. but if I needed a d/d motor I'd just buy a complete running one, 4.6's are dirt cheap around here.

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
well i just know my motor has high mileage and figured this was a good route. I could put my heads on there and then up the boost on my procharger.Casper what can you see in the cylinders that you dont like? I know there is some rust on the outside. i am planning on cleaning it up and putting it in. What do you think would be a minimum that i could do and not have any worries?

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
well i just know my motor has high mileage and figured this was a good route. I could put my heads on there and then up the boost on my procharger.Casper what can you see in the cylinders that you dont like? I know there is some rust on the outside. i am planning on cleaning it up and putting it in. What do you think would be a minimum that i could do and not have any worries?
what I don't like is the very top of the cyl.'s. that dark band at the top look's like rust to me & if thats the case, plan on a full rebuild or just pass on this one. your at a point in power were it'll cost you big time if you start to cut corner's.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts