Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
MM's resident Juice head
7,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
but does putting in 410's change your torque curve at all?

·
MM's resident Juice head
7,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so thats a no?

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Many consider rear gears as a torque multiplier so based on this your answer would be yes. But I don't know if it will change your torque curve or not.

·
Registered
11,947 Posts
Many consider rear gears as a torque multiplier so based on this your answer would be yes.

Its still not changing the curve. Multiplying yes. But the curve IMO is the same. if it peaks at 5k it will still peak at 5K ETC. To me thats the curve. But yes the car would feel like it had more torque at a low RPM. Or for example at the same RPM, say 2k with 3.55s to 2k with 4.10s Becuase they are a torque multiplier it will feel like the car pulls harder, becuase in essence it is. Though the torque would measure the same on the dyno.

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Agreed. I think the engine makes what it makes, it just gets it to the ground better.

·
Not Banned
6,620 Posts
so let me restate OP's question... is there a measurable difference in torque curve after swapping gears?

·
Administrator
83,767 Posts
Your torque curve is a range of duration of torque measured in rpm.

Gears do not change that. They change how you can use it.

/thread

·
Registered
11,947 Posts
I found that straight out of an article online, what makes it wrong? :confused:

Or do you mean it isn't so good that it is the end all be all of this thread?
It has nothing to do with his question. He is asking, I beleive, if it will change the actual torque curve that you see on a dyno. As in move the peak torque lower or higher or add torque here or there.

The answer is no. Only cams, heads, displacement, nitrous or FI will do this, possibly a tune. Gears will make it feel like it has more power but it will not give it more power anywhere in the torq curve.

So lets not /thread just yet. ;)

·
Registered
292 Posts
When you talk about a torque curve, you are talking about the power that the engine produces. This is regardless of whether or not you use an engine dyno or rear wheel dyno (but expect to see a drop off in hp and torque using a rear wheel dyno due to parasitic loss). It is true that the rear gears multiply torque at the rear wheels, but it is only multiplying what is available from the engine, not increasing what is available in the engine. Keep in mind torque is a measure of 1 rotation of the engine. So if the engine rotates 1 full turn, how much power does it make? Thats torque; based on that alone you can see that rear gears are not a factor. HP is actually a measure of torque including RPM [(torque*RPM at which that torque is achieved)/5252] specifically. This is again measured at the engine. Just think of gears as a way to get you to higher RPM faster.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
It has nothing to do with his question. He is asking, I beleive, if it will change the actual torque curve that you see on a dyno. As in move the peak torque lower or higher or add torque here or there.

The answer is no. Only cams, heads, displacement, nitrous or FI will do this, possibly a tune. Gears will make it feel like it has more power but it will not give it more power anywhere in the torq curve.

So lets not /thread just yet. ;)
Like he said. It won't affect the actual "curve" because the added torque multiplication effects the car at every RPM equally. SO your actuall torque is increased everywhere, which is why the car feels faster, but measured torque is relatively unchanged (like on a dyno). But with lower gears the engine will climb in RPM faster as well, which will help you get into your powerband quicker.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts