Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I would just like to send a message out there for everyone doing cams, or plan on doing cams. I know its been said before, not sure where I read it, but not a bad thing to say it again..

MAKE SURE TO BLOW OUT THE THREADED HOLE WHERE THE PHASER BOLT GOES IN THE CAMSHAFT!!!!!

I read somewhere that someone had a bunch of chips in the hole left over from tapping... And last night as I was getting the cam's all cleaned up to put them in, I found one of mine was packed full of chips too...

Oh, and don't blow them out in the garage, go outside so you don't get metal chips all over you opened up motor...

Anyway, just a heads up..

·
Registered
315 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. Should be installing my Detroit rockers In the next couple of weeks. If you don't mind me asking where did you rent/buy your spring compressor and timing chain wedge? Would you Let me rent yours? Or buy them if you decide to get rid of them.

Let me know thanks!

P.s. Post a video when finished!

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the heads up. Should be installing my Detroit rockers In the next couple of weeks. If you don't mind me asking where did you rent/buy your spring compressor and timing chain wedge? Would you Let me rent yours? Or buy them if you decide to get rid of them.

Let me know thanks!

P.s. Post a video when finished!
I bought mine from brenspeed, I did cut the supporting leg off of the spring compressor and made up a wood block to use with it. The reason being is that I swaped out valve springs as well, and the compressor I had (freedom) covered up the spark plug hole, which I couldn't have because I had a long fitting tool in there to keep compressed air in the cyclinder. It really worked quite well because with the supporting leg being cut down, it allowed it to slip into the #8 cyc alot eaiser, I didn't have any problems with getting to that. Its also tight at the #2 cyc, and the #6 cyc because of the strut towers, but if your not chainging springs you won't have to worry about it.. The other advatange of cutting that leg down was I didn't have the metal leg sitting on the cyc head anymore, so no worries about maring it up!!

The only other thing that I did was cut down the allen wrench that I used to adjust the set screw on the compressor that would run the (spring shoe) up and down, I did this so I could get the shoe on, then screw the adjustment screw down, so I could get a full stroke on the spring as I compressed it put the locking wedges in. Again, it was only needed for #2 and #6, but if your not doing springs it wont matter.

I should be all done with mine in a few weeks, actually Ill be done with the cam's tonight, but my headers won't be in for a few more weeks, so I won't know if the turd runs..

After Im sure everything is fine and running, Id be happy to help you out, Maybe we can do something where Ill ship my tool out to you, you can use it, and then ship it back.. I have no problem helping people out, I think its nuts that these things cost as much as they do.. I do have the wedge also.

If your fine with using the tool I modified your more than welcome to barrow it. Like I said, it had to be done for a reason, and it actually worked better IMO..

PM me if your interested, and Ill let you know when its wrapped up, the headers should ship next monday, so Im thinking that it will be running before the following weekend. But who knows, Im waiting on the super speedy service of MAC's....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts