Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
I smell like beef
5,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In preparation for a stall I wanna go ahead and do an aux. tranny cooler on my auto. What tranny coolers are you guys running (part # would be great) and where are you mounting them?

Any help is appreciated.

·
I smell like beef
5,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, do you recommend a frame mount or universal mount since I already have a front mount intercooler.

·
I smell like beef
5,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is some room to mount a slim one above the intercooler but I don't know how much crap I should stick in front of the radiator. The IC is pretty big and blocks a lot of the radiator already.

·
Disturbin' The Peace
4,121 Posts
I've seen 4x4s that have them mounted up under the car, sitting parallel to the ground.
If you could fab up a mount for that to where it is out of the way, that could work....?
Its hard to think of where there is extra room.....

If you went with a termi bumper couldn't you squeeze some more stuff behind it?

·
Registered
474 Posts
There is some room to mount a slim one above the intercooler but I don't know how much crap I should stick in front of the radiator. The IC is pretty big and blocks a lot of the radiator already.
They are very slim. I have one on my truck that is 1 3/4" thick and it's the thickest cooler I have seen. They also make one with a fan mounted to it for applications where air flow is a concern.

·
I smell like beef
5,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Would having one in a "less than ideal location" be better than not running one at all? I've heard the stack and plate ones are the best, so surely if I can get some airflow to it it will be ok.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I think as long as you are keeping the trans cooler with the aux unit than you are with the stocker, it's all good. Are you having heat issues now or are you just looking to keep as cool as possible? The unit I have on my truck is the plate style and keeps the trans nice and cool. I am not monitoring the temps in the Mustang's trans but it only uses the aux cooler (aftermarket rad). I would recommend taking the stock trans cooler circuit out of the equation when adding an aux unit.

·
I smell like beef
5,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I talked to a guy at Summitracing and he suggested that I just run the aux cooler on the return lines coming off the radiator. All the online stuff I've read says to run both. Right now I'm just planning on cutting the return line, flaring the ends, then connecting the cooler. I dunno? Most of this info is pretty scattered. Most of what I've pieced together is from Ls1tech.

I'm not having heat issues, I just want to be ready in advance.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts