Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after some research I decided this is the best route to get some answers.

What are some of those cheaper mods you've done (under $100) that make the difference in appearance? Anything you can think of will be appreciated. I'm looking for the simple things that add up to making a car.

I painted my interior trims, and did a few other things. Let me know interior or exterior mods you have or want, and their price, but keep under the budget.

·
Registered
302 Posts
There's a gauge cluster face I really like from AM.

Also repainting the plastic honeycomb parts on the hood scoop and side scoops makes a big difference if yours are faded and gray.

Also sequential tail lights can be pretty nice.

·
Registered
575 Posts
If I had a dsg or any color other than black really I would black out the tail light panel. Maybe remove the wing but I kinda like the one on your car. Mine has to go haha. A mach 1 chin spoiler can be found on craigslist cheap if you look. I'm also looking into doing 94-98 sail panels and quarter windows. They kinda look like the bullitts and mach 1's but can be had for much cheaper. Not 100% sure they fit but someone from a junkyard told me they would.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mach 1 grill delete
Considered this one for a while but with the possibility of getting a diff bumper and hood, I'm not sure yet.

There's a gauge cluster face I really like from AM.

Also repainting the plastic honeycomb parts on the hood scoop and side scoops makes a big difference if yours are faded and gray.

Also sequential tail lights can be pretty nice.
I saw a brushed aluminum gauge cluster surround like what they have on the mach 1 clusters.... any idea if a 98 gt cluster is shaped exactly the same as an 02?

If I had a dsg or any color other than black really I would black out the tail light panel. Maybe remove the wing but I kinda like the one on your car. Mine has to go haha. A mach 1 chin spoiler can be found on craigslist cheap if you look. I'm also looking into doing 94-98 sail panels and quarter windows. They kinda look like the bullitts and mach 1's but can be had for much cheaper. Not 100% sure they fit but someone from a junkyard told me they would.
Interesting... What about painting the gt emblems black and the silver horse in the grille? Any opinions on that?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Chin spoiler makes a big difference
New grill, I'm not crazy about the grille deletes because I don't like the idea of stuff flying in there, I paid under $100 for my billet grilles (upper, lower and hood scoop(new hood now)) and I painted them black.
You can cut your antenna down for free, pop the ball off the top cut to desired height and glue ball back on.
Vinyl deck lid and rouch insert
Can of VHT and tint your tails and side markers
Gauge overlays are cheap and look good if you install them right

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Chin spoiler makes a big difference
New grill, I'm not crazy about the grille deletes because I don't like the idea of stuff flying in there, I paid under $100 for my billet grilles (upper, lower and hood scoop(new hood now)) and I painted them black.
You can cut your antenna down for free, pop the ball off the top cut to desired height and glue ball back on.
Vinyl deck lid and rouch insert
Can of VHT and tint your tails and side markers
Gauge overlays are cheap and look good if you install them right
Not a fan of billet grilles myself..... Already cut the antenna. lol

Also not a fan of rattle can tinting lights because I like the gloss look as opposed to the smokey/ hazy look the spray gives.

I considered the LED color changing for the gauges and other lights but I'd only want a more bright and greener green so I refrain from attempting that.

·
Registered
241 Posts
1 coil is safe, we have linear stock springs, any more and its hard on your shock and struts. how many miles you have? and its actually pretty easy, probably like 2-3 hours if you havent done it. basically just need one of those 20$ saws from lows and i thin steal cutting blade

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
OP, if your talking about a cobra bumper, youll still need the horse and other trim piece from the delete kit. Also, I think painted emblems really tie in the look with black wheels.

·
Premium Member
2,706 Posts
Cutting springs is fairly easy, its a little difficult to get the springs out, but you can do all of them without spring compressors. I did 3/4 spring off the back and the fender gap looks perfect to me, even all around so that if you didn't know mustangs you probably wouldn't notice the drop. It rides just fine with the front and back cut, I would recommend it. You may need an alignment, and you might want to adjust your headlights.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OP, if your talking about a cobra bumper, youll still need the horse and other trim piece from the delete kit. Also, I think painted emblems really tie in the look with black wheels.
I'm talking about the fact that the delete kit is different for a gt and mach 1 vs an 03/04 cobra since their are no holes that require covering. 2pc vs 3pc kit.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'll check the write ups on springs but I never really considered it on the account that Louisiana has easily the most horrible roads and ride quality of any other state so pot holes and bottoming out is a sure possibility here.

·
Registered
241 Posts
only maybe 1 1/4 drop, if that, looks alot better and rides a ton better. check write ups on the vht tint, you clear coat the finished product + some 2000 grit wet sand still gives a glossy look. ill take a better pic of my tails and show you how i did on it, i did it in 20 degree weather tho which was a bad idea. the outcome is still pretty good tho

·
KCCO
5,980 Posts
Not a fan of billet grilles myself..... Already cut the antenna. lol

Also not a fan of rattle can tinting lights because I like the gloss look as opposed to the smokey/ hazy look the spray gives.

I considered the LED color changing for the gauges and other lights but I'd only want a more bright and greener green so I refrain from attempting that.
1.) You can always use the vinyl overlays for tinting the taillights. I believe theres a writeup in the how-to section showing how to do that and they looked really good.

2.) Definitely cut your springs.

3.) Get a sequential tail light kit from AM (With LED upgrade, same size as reverse lights, make it look like the sequentials on the 2011's)

4.) Upgrade all interior/exterior lights to LEDs. (LED reverse lights look awesome) (not my car, but looks the same vvv)

5.) Maybe get ddm HIDs (although the right way would be to get projectors, but that could get expensive).

6.) Shift knob

7.) LED's under the dash (very cheap, I got mine on ebay for $1/each)

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1.) You can always use the vinyl overlays for tinting the taillights. I believe theres a writeup in the how-to section showing how to do that and they looked really good.

2.) Definitely cut your springs.

3.) Get a sequential tail light kit from AM (With LED upgrade, same size as reverse lights, make it look like the sequentials on the 2011's)

4.) Upgrade all interior/exterior lights to LEDs. (LED reverse lights look awesome) (not my car, but looks the same vvv)

5.) Maybe get ddm HIDs (although the right way would be to get projectors, but that could get expensive).

6.) Shift knob

7.) LED's under the dash (very cheap, I got mine on ebay for $1/each)
Do you have a how to for the interior lights going to LED's? Also how did you do your LED's under the dash? Links? I know how to get the bulbs but how did you wire them up and everything?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts