Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A fellow mustang buddy i know is selling a NOS kit for my car for $200 everything included, i dont know much about NOS and was just wondering if it would be safe to spray on my stock 5.0? and how hard are they to hook up? can someone give me a rundown on maybe some pros and cons? and also is it necessary to go with a purge kit or can i use it without it? My timing is also at 14 degrees so idk how that would play into spraying the motor..

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
im still tryin to figure out if its a wet or dry kit, and i have full exhaust including headers. timing bumped to 14, smog and egr removed. and msd cap and rotor, im not exactly sure of the mileage because when i got the car it had a V6 cluster in it, but it prolly has around 105,000 miles on it

·
Atomized
1,397 Posts
Nitrous is awesome when done right but there's so much missing from a 200 dollar kit. I peiced a used piece of **** kit together to but if i did it all over again i would have just bought a good kit with the correct acc up front. There's alot to it to have it enjoyable. yeah you can hook up a 200 dollar wet kit to a button on your ebay vin deisel shift knob, and have no window switch, crawl over your seats to open your bottle. Or you can buy a good kit with good solenoids, bottle with high flow valve and two acc ports, a warmer, and an auto opener. Id run a plate kit with a window switch and a fuel pressure saftey switch. Again it's all optional but it makes for a much safer fun exp. I sprayed over 30 bottles on a very high mileage 302 with no problems cause i took these steps

·
Banned
3,246 Posts
why do you ask a question about upgrades every other day then dont spend any money....

·
Resident Know-it-all
2,964 Posts
An MSD digital 6 box can automatically pull the timing for you too so you can run optimally when you're not on the bottle too.
Good point. A lot of good info here. Piecing together a kit can be frustrating and lead to disappointing results sometimes. I have ran nitrous for about 12 years now, and I can say it's a blast when it works right and expensive when it doesn't. It costs each time you fill the bottle, a lot more now than it did when I started. A high mileage 5.0 is better suited to spray than a fresh n/a engine. Need more info or pics of the kit to say if it's worth it or not. A purge is def a good idea as if you don't purge, you will get a stumble before it kicks in sometimes if it's a wet kit.

·
Registered
659 Posts
An MSD digital 6 box can automatically pull the timing for you too so you can run optimally when you're not on the bottle too.
can u elaborate on this a little more:)

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
why do you ask a question about upgrades every other day then dont spend any money....
lol, i am, this thread was meant to gain some knowledge and general opinions on the subject at the moment, and i just installed headers a few days ago, i have been taking it step by step i am in college and dont have all the extra free time that some of you may have. And i change my mind and go different ways a lot as i am sure others on here do as well. and yes the main thing i was worried about if i ever sprayed NOS would be the effects it had on the motor,

·
Registered
35 Posts
Nitrous is awesome when done right but there's so much missing from a 200 dollar kit. I peiced a used piece of **** kit together to but if i did it all over again i would have just bought a good kit with the correct acc up front. There's alot to it to have it enjoyable. yeah you can hook up a 200 dollar wet kit to a button on your ebay vin deisel shift knob, and have no window switch, crawl over your seats to open your bottle. Or you can buy a good kit with good solenoids, bottle with high flow valve and two acc ports, a warmer, and an auto opener. Id run a plate kit with a window switch and a fuel pressure saftey switch. Again it's all optional but it makes for a much safer fun exp. I sprayed over 30 bottles on a very high mileage 302 with no problems cause i took these steps
I dont know about that one. I picked up my first kit for 250 bucks. It was a off brand wet kit with every thing i needed plus some. Cam with extra jets, purge, nitrous filter, 10lb bottle, lines, bottle heater, and even some misc wires and a little controller the guy had made. The only thing i had to buy was brackets after that.

·
Come at me bro
3,135 Posts
Nitrous is for fags. :shiftyeyes

·
Rattle Trap
62 Posts
can u elaborate on this a little more:)
RETARD CONTROL
There is a single stage of retard that can be adjusted from 0 to 9.9 degrees in 1/10° increments. The retard is activated when the Pink wire receives 12 volts

The pink wire can be connected to the same button as your n2o.

So when you hit the button to spray, you are also retarding the timing.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
that is interesting ^ , difficulty wise, how hard would it be for a beginner such as me who has never dealt with nitrus to hook up?

·
Come at me bro
3,135 Posts
that is interesting ^ , difficulty wise, how hard would it be for a beginner such as me who has never dealt with nitrus to hook up?
Impossible :shiftyeyes

·
Resident Know-it-all
2,964 Posts
It's easy. If you can read the wiring diagram, just follow it. Lots of diagrams for nitrous on the internet. Run the digital 6 nitrous retard wire out to the solenoid, so that when the solenoid gets 12 volts and opens, the digital 6 gets the signal to pull timing out. I wouldn't go to a 'button', I would have an arm switch and a wot switch on the throttle body. Remember, fast the furious was just a movie.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
lol damn im confused already, i really hate electric wiring, but i got friends in low places and im pretty sure they know what they are doing :shiftyeyes

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
Do you have any pics of it ?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts