Modded Mustang Forums banner

Throttle body comparison

5K views 20 replies 6 participants last post by  nxcoupe 
#1 ·
I've read posts on here saying that bbk throttle bodies weren't the greatest and that accufab is the way to go. I'm basically wanting to get some recommendations for a good setup for my fox. I didn't build mine, but I have pretty much verified everything on the motor. It is a 347 stroker with trick flow stage 3 cam and heads, holley systemax 2 intake w/ spacer, 42lb injectors, crane 1.7 rockers, 75 mm maf and 70 mm bbk throttle body, and an aeromotive adjustable fuel regulator. It runs like a bat out of hell, but I have seen more mild builds with bigger throttle bodies. Is this something that I should experiment with, or just leave it be? I'm always looking for more power, but will it be a noticeable 300 dollar add on if I go with a 75 or 80 mm accufab? I would probably need to port out the intake to the throttle body size too, right? I read that it is 75 mm on the holley systemax. Thanks for any help guys!

#2 ·
Id just leave it be. Unless your willing to port your intake i wouldnt go any bigger then 75 mm. And if you did go bigger then 75 mm, then you would need a bigger maff to.

A maff should be the same size or bigger then the throttle body, never smaller.

Accufab for the win.....

#4 ·
Most of the time you will see people buying a 75mm tb just so they never have to buy another one. Doesn't mean it's right for the car. There are numerous calculators out there that you can use to find your cars actual cfm requirements to size things appropriately. It's all about COMBINATION.

#5 ·
Accufab is one of the best! Maybe I have one too, lol. Actually 2 of them, but that's another subject. The accufab has tremendous flow for it's size (though I would think they all would be the same for the same size of bore, but such is not the case) and it doesn't do the bbk whistle. It's just a sheer quality piece made right here in the good ol' USA!

#6 ·
Accufab all the way boss. I doubt you'll feel any "seat of the pants" gain though if you're already running a 70mm. I found a really good chart at one time comparing throttle bodies. You'd be surprised how much they flow, they usually out flow the intake hands down

#9 ·
Do you still have your EGR ? Do you have that thin plate in between the intake and the throttle body ?

#16 ·
No you dont need the spacer

^ no, because the bracket for the throttle and cruise control cables bolts to that spacer
He has the egr delete plate, its only real function besides deleting the egr is it has a spot to bolt the throtle cable/cruise control. Check out the link i posted, youll see what i mean

#17 ·
Oops, I was under the impression that he was referring to the piece you listed in the link as the spacer. So yea, the only reason you would need the EGR spacer, delete plate, or any other square shaped aluminum thinger-diddly doo dinger is to mount the bracket for the throttle and cruise cables.

#19 ·
If you do decide to swap them, go to your local dyno guy and do some before pulls, then swap the tb on the dyno and make two or three more after pulls to see hp gain. That way we can all learn. If your close to me, Im game.

#21 ·
Yeah, if I could move Id already be in FL or TX. But I cant move away from my daughter, shes 7 and needs daddy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.