Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i got my car a couple months ago, 138k completely stock, for $2900. pretty sweet buy considering im the 2nd owner and the previous owners were an older couple. anyways, ive already put the on the exhaust setup i want and the wheels and tires. cold air intake is on its way, should be here saturday. and the next step is lowering it. but i want to put on a throttle body, but i just saw something about a spacer. would a spacer even do much difference? if so how much? and would the cai still fit with a spacer up on the throttle body?

also, what size throttle body should i get? i was thinking 70mm cause im eventually going to swap in gt40p heads, cams, and upper and lower intake. plus i feel like upping my tb by only 5mm to a 65mm is a waste of $220.

gears are on the list as well, but with a kid coming next month its one at a time. what are some other good cheap mods i could go with? my plan is to just build the top end moderately and cosmetic mods until the motor gets some really high mileage on it and my son is old enough to pull the motor with me and stroke it to a 347, that way when thats done it'll be one badass sn95.

·
Registered
489 Posts
A spacer is a waste of money I feel. Most of the time you want to match the the size of the TB with the opening on the intake which you don't have yet. If your dead set on getting a 70mm TB then go for it but I wouldn't put it on yet. Wait till you get your new intake with a 70 mm opening and then slap it on. I have a 70mm TB on my car only because the new intake I got for it has the same size opening.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ahh makes sense. k what do you guys think about the sct chip?

·
Registered
317 Posts
i have thechip man, but i wouldnt spend the money on tha until u tear into the engine for the cam and& heads. Sounds like a good buy. keep us posted on the progress.

·
Better than Drugs!
2,064 Posts
forget the TB and spacer for now, get some longtubes.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i had some bbk shorty equal lengths, but when i went to go put them on i realized i'd have to weld in that egr valve pipe or whatever the hell it is. so we ended up not putting them on because we didnt have the time to finish within the weekend. and then i ended up returning them because i felt generous and spent the money on stuff for my son. but i already have a bassani xpipe and high flow magnaflows that are setup for shorty headers so i dont want to have to re do everything just to put in some long tubes.

but yes headers are on the list. after the cai, what would you guys do next? 3.73 gears?

·
Better than Drugs!
2,064 Posts
yes sir gears. You'll hear everything from everybody about gears. 373, 410, etc. 373 are good, 410 for boosted applications. But it can go either way

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
okay sounds good. yeah i got 138k on the car so i dont want to get into the motor too much, maybe some bolt ons and what not. what about under drive pulleys? i hear a lot about doing a smog pump delete, but will i still pass emissions with taking that out? which short throw do you guys prefer?

·
Registered
7 Posts
When you purchase an aftermarket throttle body make sure you purchase an intake elbow adapter with the correct bore size to match your throttle body size,the edelbrock elbow is 70mm,the trick flow elbow is 75mm,etc. the elbow is required to use an aftermarket intake on a 94-95,unless you purchase a 94-95 cobra intake that has the elbow made onto the upper manifold! :2cents

·
Registered
89 Posts
true that it was a bitch till i got mine in, and put on. itll all bolt up, with out, but no hood,linkage,etc so better get one only 60-90 dollars depends on your setup.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
oooh i didnt know that. thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
yes sir gears. You'll hear everything from everybody about gears. 373, 410, etc. 373 are good, 410 for boosted applications. But it can go either way
I think your a bit confused 410s and boost nfg. 355 or 327 if your boosting otherwise na combos like 373 or 410s.

·
Still slow.
8,738 Posts
1. If you lowering by cutting coils, dont do it. Buy proper spring's other wise it will ride rough. Unless you only cut one coil but thats kind of pointless

2. 70mm-75mm throttle body, the spacer is pointless unless your running boost or nitrous.

3. For gears, i have 3.91's in the '63 falcon and they are nice.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No I plan on getting h & r springs. Lower 1.6 in the rear and 1.75 in the front. And should I spend the money for aftermarket struts/shocks when I do lower it, or is the ride quality okay when lowered on stock struts/shocks? Just curious cause the eibach struts/shocks are another 5 or 600 bucks. And if it can wait that'd be cool. Eventually ill be getting camber plates and aftermarket front and rear sway bars. And then I saw something I think was called a tire kick bushing or something? Can't remember..its basically a steering stabilizer so bumps and groovs in the road don't steer the car in different directions.

·
Registered
489 Posts
You'll deff need to upgrade the shocks/struts when you lower the car. Stock ones wont cut it. There not made for a lowered car unlike the good stuff. A bump steer kit seeme to be what your talkin about?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yup thats it! does anyone run those? they sound pretty nice to have. well i guess i better start saving up for the springs, shocks, and struts then...or possibly wait for my last enlistment bonus which is in july?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
oh and i got the cold air intake put in last night. i didnt know there was such a noticable difference in the 5.0's. ive had cold airs put on most of my other cars and i couldnt tell any difference other than sound and a little throttle response. but i gotta figure out how to get my intake air temp sensor to fit in, the fitting on the coi is the wrong size haha. but thats what you get for ebay i guess?

·
Registered
89 Posts
if you run it with out the air temp it will have more throttle itll trick the computer into thinking its cold out.and everyone will say no dont do it,just try for yourself rev it up with it pluged in then with it unhooked no diff no money wasted.

·
Registered
45 Posts
get the tb. i put a 65mm tb on my gt and it helped quite a bit and sounds sick. lol i raced my frd with it on and i could tell a difference especially he did. Yes go for gears.. they help and get underdrive pulleys also. You should look into getting new axles while ur doing the gears especially spool.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts