Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so basically I correctly installed my 65mm bbk throttle body awhile back. All went well except I broke my tps sensor off of my stock throttlebody.:( So I made the trip to autozone and got a new one. The idle is to high, after I get going faster maybe 30-40mph and floor it I go no where. Ideas? Also the rpm stays at two grand and doesnt move when I floor it from 30-40mph.
I already put my stock one on and it does it still. Is there a special way to install the tps. There seems no way to adjust it at all. Thanks

·
Registered
115 Posts
If I'm not mistaking...

I THINK you have to use a meter of some sorts to "zero" the TPS via the voltage flowing to it. In other words, it senses the throttle position by the amount of voltage it's receiving, so it needs to know that the voltage it's getting at idle is in fact the idle voltage. At least that's my understanding of it.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok how do I measure that by splicing into the harness. AND hois there a way to adjust the voltage ? There are no bolts or such to loosen.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lol i would say take it somewhere and let them do it..:mad:
Hence that is what I am going to do. I was just curious to figure out wat the hell is wrong with it. This is prob the most frustrating thing I have ever tried to figure out!!!!!:mad:

·
Registered
115 Posts
I don't know, probably through the port you plug diagnostic devices in. I was in your same position once and that's how a mechanic explained it to me. I didn't get it done, instead I put the old TPS back in & found my troubles were actually the IAC (Idle Air Control) which just swapped out easily.

I'm sure someone will come along here and know much more about it than I do.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think im gonna swap the aftermarket throttle body back on and just give it all to the mechanic. He can get as frustrated as he wants. AS long as he fixes it.

·
2k3 Blown Mach 1
2,183 Posts
Bad idle is usually caused by a dirty maf sensor or a defective tps, If I remember right I told you how to do it, If the tps is bad the information/voltage will be inaccurate, you need a phillips screw driver, a pin and a Voltmeter to read the voltages you need to see .98-99 volts....

·
2k3 Blown Mach 1
2,183 Posts
There are no screws to loosen to adjust it.
Then you will just have to check if you're getting the right .volts but if you said that it did the same with both could also be a bad connection, messed wires ....... Get them tested.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think its possibly the wrong tps for my car cause autozone people are retarded. But you never know could be the wires

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
I think its possibly the wrong tps for my car cause autozone people are retarded. But you never know could be the wires
It could very well be but you have to clock it so that makes it kind of hard to screw up. The windstar is identical but it is clocked backwards from the mustangs.
One question for you though?? I'm assuming you have an automatic trans??
The tps controls shifting, spark,and a/f so if something is wrong with it you will have problembs with power.
The tps is the drivers main link to the engine and pcm. As for communication.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That is correct I have an auto. I step on the petal and get no where from 2-3 and overdrive is all jacked up as well. What do you mean by "clock it"

·
Banned
15,799 Posts
you can adjust it a tad. I went through the same problem when I assembled the new motor. Idle was to low in my case. but you can slightly adjust it

1 - 20 of 29 Posts