Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having issues with my car's throttle and acceleration. Some times when I floor my car, from a dig or a roll, it doesn't respond well. The RPM's would go to like 3k - 4k then about 3 to 4 seconds later the engine would kick in and respond to me flooring it. It's like a latency issue. Almost as if the car doesn't recognize that I'm flooring it until a few seconds later.

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
doesn't it sound like it cuts out?

·
Banned
17,374 Posts
check your throttle cable...they have a fair amount of slack in them from factory which most of us fix for around $1.50....if you're just now having these issues after driving the car for a good while it could be stretched...if not then onto the next more expensive fix

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Lack of delivered fuel to the cylinders results in a lack of torque, kinda feels like the car falls on it's face. Then the the fuel delivery is right it feels like the power comes back and it just goes...

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
i was thinkin fuel filter

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The car never loses power, it's like it doesn't know that it's being floored until like 3 seconds later.

·
Disturbin' The Peace
4,121 Posts
Auto?

·
Registered
151 Posts
mine does the same, dont know what it is. mine is an auto and sometimes when i step on it, it just gradually picks up. other times when i step on it, it picks up like it should be.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
That was my thought as well, the OP said the engine speed rose to 3-4k but nothing happened--it's either a slushbox or the clutch is slipping...

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Yes it's an auto. I'm changing the fuel filter today.
Then the transmission is slipping, the hydraulics are sluggish and/or the bands and friction clutches are worn...

When did you last change the fluid?

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I have no idea what one would cost as I am not an automatic transmission expert by any measure, I've only owned two in 45+ years.

But before you start shopping for a new tranny take it to a reputable transmission shop and get them to check it out, there are some problems (low fluid pressure from loose bolts, leaking seals, stuck valves, etc) that can be corrected with much less expense than buying a new tranny. Most of those places will give you a free quote...

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Let us know what you find out...

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Mustang Magic will charge you a nice penny. A nicely built trans to handle some power will run you around $2k. You can call up BC Automotive for a quote on a tranny, or find a good trans shop in your area and see if they can go throw the tranny to refresh it and replace what is broken.

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
sounds good man! could you blow thru the old one?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts