Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am about to be on my 3rd throw out bearing and I am getting tired of replacing them so quickly!

So a little background here...I have a 98GT that has Griggs K-Member (don't know if that would matter but never know), she started out as an Automatic but since I had a donor 98GT I swapped it to a 5speed. All of the parts were direct swap from another 98. Pedals, drive shaft, mounts and everything. In addition to that I added a Spec aluminum flywheel, UPR firewall adjuster, UPR quadrant, OEM Ford cable, and Spec clutch kit. After 800 miles the throw out bearing started making noise. I assumed it was because I used the Spec TOB. So I dropped the transmission again and replaced the Friction plate on the flywheel, install a Center Force Clutch kit with Ford Racing Throw out bearing and pilot bearing, Ford Racing clutch fork, Ford Racing clutch fork stub, billet steel throw out bearing sleeve (the one on the transmission), and installed the Steeda clutch quadrant since it had more adjustments. I hoped with all of that I would eliminate whatever the issue was.

I read a lot about clutch adjustments and where you want to have it. A lot of people generally say you do not want the throw out bearing to have any preload on the pressure plate. But if I did not adjust the clutch to were the throw out was touching the pressure plate I could not get the clutch to disengage. I also installed a spring kit on the clutch cable to help move the TOB away from the pressure plate but that did not help. I could still never adjust it to where it was not touching which I am assuming is the reason the throw out bearing go out so quickly...I am about to just buy the McLeod hydraulic clutch kit and hope that fixes it but I would rather not if I have the option.

I know several people have had this kind of issue before but I can never find the solution for it...idea's?

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have the same issue, mine is sounding like its a slight rattling coming from inside the bell housing. I don't know any way where I can have the TOB not come into contact with the pressure plate.

I bought a SPEC clutch and Flywheel, then used the SPEC TOB that came in the kit and it started making noises about 3k miles into the clutch. I just don't want to drop the transmission, being really lazy because I know I'll have to do the Pilot bearing and might as well do the rear main seal while I'm in there >.<

·
UNOH Suspension Enthusiast
961 Posts
it sounds like you guys dont have your clutch cable adjusted right. you have to pull the white gear assembly towards the back while someone under the car pulls on the cable. you want roughly an half an inch to an inch movement in the pedal before it touched the pressure plate

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What white gear assembly are you referring to? The plastic stock clutch adjuster that is next to the pedal? If so I do not have that, mine is all upgraded.

I know the clutch is supposed to be adjusted to have that slack but when I adjust it like that I can not get the clutch to disengage so I can not put the car in gear.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Does a ford racing M-7548-A throwout bearing work for a t-56 magnum tranny sorry dont mean to thread jack but I didn't think it was nessisary to make one just for this question. Thanks!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I used a T56 sleeve that the TOB rides on for my T45 so I would assume so.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts