Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think its my throw out bearing that squeaks when i just have it in neutral and then i put the clutch pedal and it goes away. then i release it and it squeaks again continuously. Is it expensive to replace? I heard that your clutch goes out as well soon is this true?

·
Danger To Manifold
1,488 Posts
TOB is Throw out bearing.

That sounds like a TOB to me. I imagine it isn't cheap because you have to split the trans as far as I know. Also it is typically a good idea to get your clutch replaced at the same time. Maybe even a performance clutch?

·
Danger To Manifold
1,488 Posts
That I'm not sure of. I'm sure another member here can answer your question though.

From what I understand though it should be ok for a short period of time. I just wouldn't wait too long to get it fixed. It's a bearing just like any other in your car. If it's worn out it needs to be replaced.

I know I would get an axle bearing done asap if it went out.

·
MM's Official Lucifer
4,081 Posts
You probably won't really damage the clutch itself, it just won't perform like it should and you'll be stuck listening to the noise. I wouldn't let it go forever, eventually the thing will fall apart and then the clutch won't be operational. Isn't too hard to replace and the TOB itself is a cheap part.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I think its my throw out bearing that squeaks when i just have it in neutral and then i put the clutch pedal and it goes away. then i release it and it squeaks again continuously. Is it expensive to replace? I heard that your clutch goes out as well soon is this true?
I have the exact same problem (squeaking, goes away with clutch engaged) and it was diagnosed as the TOB at a local shop. They recommended that you get the clutch replaced anyway since the TOB going is usually a good sign that your clutch is on its way out.

·
MM's Official Lucifer
4,081 Posts
^ This is true if you're up around 100k miles. TOB's go out on performance clutches too that are brand new, so its not always the case.

·
Registered
389 Posts
^ This is true if you're up around 100k miles. TOB's go out on performance clutches too that are brand new, so its not always the case.
Exactly. I'm not sure if I've ever actually heard of a TOB and clutch going out at the same time. I'd argue that the shop just wants more money.

·
MM's Official Lucifer
4,081 Posts
Yeah, I'd say that most of the time with people who either don't mod or only lightly mod their cars, where the clutch doesn't get attention until it has problems, then it's probably worth it to replace the clutch if the tob is shot, or vice versa, if its high mileage as I said cuz most likely it won't last in good working order for much longer. But shops do try to sell you on anything and everything, its no secret.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Same thing JUST happened to me but in one day it went from an annoying noise to unbearable. I took it to the shop n they suggested I replace the clutch while im in there cuz I just hit around 100k. Diddnt take long n was under 500 bucks.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Expect to pay between $400-$800. Why wouldn't you replace the clutch at the same time? Might as well when you're gonna be in there anyways. And yes the clutch will most likely go out soon if the TOB is as bad as you say. Pretty sure most clutches come with a TOB and a few miscellaneous items that should be replaced with a clutch. I got a spec1 when my TOB **** out on me and I love it. Also consider an aluminum flywheel while your at it. It will help free up some HP and the more mods you put on it the more it will free up.

·
Zoolander
7,719 Posts
I agree with the shops to a point. Since your going to be replacing the tob better to just replace your clutch.

Just pray you don't have what happened to me. Shortly after I bought my Cobra I had the TOB and Clutch replaced...well I got a call from my Mechanic saying that my Flywheel was shot to **** as well.

So $48 for the TOB
$375 for the Clutch
753 for install of it all and the Flywheel

When I took a look at all of it all I could do was laugh.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I got my Spec1 clutch from AM and install was only $279. Unless you have a family friend as a mechanic, don't plan on it being that cheap.

·
MM's Official Lucifer
4,081 Posts
I'd spend the weekend installing over paying $300 for someone else to fiddle with my car hands down.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Yeah I was told that while they can resurface the flywheel, it is advisable to get a new flywheel installed along with it. Once again could be the shop trying to make more money, however I told them I would provide the flywheel, so they're not making much more off just labor.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Yeah I was told that while they can resurface the flywheel, it is advisable to get a new flywheel installed along with it. Once again could be the shop trying to make more money, however I told them I would provide the flywheel, so they're not making much more off just labor.
not so much. The reason they advise you to get a new flywheel is because after they machine your flywheel, they have to reinstall it. Measuring how much material they took off is a pain in the ass, and they have to instal it using shims. Installing the shims is pretty much guess work, whereas a new clutch doesn't need shims nor does it involve guess work.

·
MM's Official Lucifer
4,081 Posts
Having it resurfaced once will be fine. No need to buy a new flywheel unless yours has already been resurfaced before, is damaged, or you want to upgrade to an aluminum wheel. Beyond one resurfacing I would get a new one cuz as said you don't want to take too much material off.

·
MM's Official Lucifer
4,081 Posts
^And that's why its sometimes good to have another shop maybe do some of the work, so the one place can't rip you off (as bad). I had my flywheel resurfaced for $30.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts