Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok fellas

Recently my car has ben making i ticking noise and a chirping noise from the clutch area... i am 99% sure it is the throw out bearing. I have a few questions?

I know its part of the clutch but can anybody dumb down what a throw out bearing does and how it works? (reps)

And from searching i have heard that freeway driving will make it worse... is it stop and go freeway or cruising that makes it go and why?

My car has 90,000 miles on it so i have a feeling i should just do the whole clutch while i have it appart so that i dont have to do it in a little bit...

Thanks guys im a newb:cool:

·
MM's Ford Truck Guy
1,352 Posts
nuttin man its a inside joke on here my bad i was just bumping your thread but on a serious note if you are going to just replace the TOB then i would do a clutch also seeing that its right there anyway and you have 90k on it. But a throw out bearing is pushed by a arm which hits metal arms which ingagues the clutch i dont know technical terms but i know how it works ill try to get a pic

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
You'll know if it's the TOB if you put your toe lightly on the clutch and the sound goes away. had it happen to me too with 60k miles. changed clutch and put on new one, good as new.

and yes, while you're at it, at 90k miles i'd get rid of the factory clutch as it'll likely need replaced in the next 30 or so thousand miles. and you'll be 90% of the way there when you take off the TOB.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
+ would a tob be a light tick or nock comingi right by where the clutch is... it happens in any gear even neutral while its rolling i think, and it goes away as soon as i push the clutch in... It also has a quiet chirp while its just sitting and as soon as i push the clutch in even just a hair it goes away

·
MM's Ford Truck Guy
1,352 Posts
yeah thats def a TOB and yes you have to drop the trans to do a clutch and TOB

·
MM's Ford Truck Guy
1,352 Posts
newb question but on a stang how big of a deal is that if i have axcess to a lift and tools?
are you asking if you have a lift how easy will it be or are you asking do you need a lift?

·
MM's Ford Truck Guy
1,352 Posts
it will be pretty easy with a lift and a extra set of hands

·
Registered
680 Posts

·
Registered
1,138 Posts

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
/serious
You'll know if it's the TOB if you put your toe lightly on the clutch and the sound goes away. had it happen to me too with 60k miles. changed clutch and put on new one, good as new.
While this is true, all your doing is adding more wear to the clutch, and is not a recomended temporary fix. Haven't you ever heard that you should never drice yoru car with your foot on the clutch pedal? Thats essentially what you are doing here.
how big of a job is it to put in a new tob/clutch? i have heard you have to drop the trans... u know if thats true??
It's not to bad. I would recomend having someone help you (especially if you have never done any sort of work like this yourself before). You can either do it the hard way by taking the engine out and working at it from the front, or if you can jack the car up high enough, remove the driveshaft, transmission, and then the clutch with the TOB.
+ would a tob be a light tick or nock comingi right by where the clutch is... it happens in any gear even neutral while its rolling i think, and it goes away as soon as i push the clutch in... It also has a quiet chirp while its just sitting and as soon as i push the clutch in even just a hair it goes away
Mine "chirped" as I like to call it. It would do so in any gear + N, and it would accelerate with the RPM. Im almost certain that it's your TOB by the way your describing it.

I would definitely change out your clutch as well if you have a high amount of miles, and since you will be going through all that work anyway. You can get a decent clutch (almost every clutch kit out there will include a TOB) for less than $200, where if you try to just buy a TOB (I had trouble finding one so I would have had to go to Ford for it) at $70? I think.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I've got a RAM in mine, its the only clutch other than a oem replacement ive ever had in the car. Works ok for me. You'll want to resurface the flywheel while you're down there.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I've got a RAM in mine, its the only clutch other than a oem replacement ive ever had in the car. Works ok for me. You'll want to resurface the flywheel while you're down there.
RAM HD

Got a RAM as well. Really good price for the amount of hp/tq its rated at. I got mine an a special from AM and it was for a V6 so considerable cheaper.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.