Modded Mustang Forums banner

Throw Out Bearing???

8K views 68 replies 21 participants last post by  goren813 
#1 ·
Ok fellas

Recently my car has ben making i ticking noise and a chirping noise from the clutch area... i am 99% sure it is the throw out bearing. I have a few questions?

I know its part of the clutch but can anybody dumb down what a throw out bearing does and how it works? (reps)

And from searching i have heard that freeway driving will make it worse... is it stop and go freeway or cruising that makes it go and why?

My car has 90,000 miles on it so i have a feeling i should just do the whole clutch while i have it appart so that i dont have to do it in a little bit...

Thanks guys im a newb:cool:

Discussion starter · #8 ·
+ would a tob be a light tick or nock comingi right by where the clutch is... it happens in any gear even neutral while its rolling i think, and it goes away as soon as i push the clutch in... It also has a quiet chirp while its just sitting and as soon as i push the clutch in even just a hair it goes away

Discussion starter · #23 ·
yeah i wanna stay semi cheap but not get a pos...

I might supercharge it this winter but id still be under 450hp prolly under 400 or even 350 so i dont need a real strong clutch

Discussion starter · #32 ·
yeah bc mine is well the pedal is not engaged.... just driving with my foot off the clutch it makes the noise and it goes away when i push the pedal in

Discussion starter · #33 ·
I thought about it dragging but figured it was the tob... how can i tell if its dragging and also how can i adjust this... i have tried before to do the clutch adjustment that ppl have talked about on here...

something like while the cars off put it in first and pull the pedal back then pull it to neutral....

i cant remember exactly what it was

Discussion starter · #40 ·
well for a little update i put it on a lift to do my fuel pump bc that went out this last week and well it was on the lift i put it in gear and ran it to have a buddy of mine listen for the noise to make sure it wasnt my tranny...

the verdict is that its coming from the front of the clutch.... im assuming that i will need a clutch but i dont know exactly what part its coming from...

Is there any way to lube my clutch cable?

when i push the pedal in it creeks like a door.

thanks for all the replies guys

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.