Modded Mustang Forums banner

Throw Out Bearing???

8K views 68 replies 21 participants last post by  goren813 
#1 ·
Ok fellas

Recently my car has ben making i ticking noise and a chirping noise from the clutch area... i am 99% sure it is the throw out bearing. I have a few questions?

I know its part of the clutch but can anybody dumb down what a throw out bearing does and how it works? (reps)

And from searching i have heard that freeway driving will make it worse... is it stop and go freeway or cruising that makes it go and why?

My car has 90,000 miles on it so i have a feeling i should just do the whole clutch while i have it appart so that i dont have to do it in a little bit...

Thanks guys im a newb:cool:

#4 ·
nuttin man its a inside joke on here my bad i was just bumping your thread but on a serious note if you are going to just replace the TOB then i would do a clutch also seeing that its right there anyway and you have 90k on it. But a throw out bearing is pushed by a arm which hits metal arms which ingagues the clutch i dont know technical terms but i know how it works ill try to get a pic

#5 ·
You'll know if it's the TOB if you put your toe lightly on the clutch and the sound goes away. had it happen to me too with 60k miles. changed clutch and put on new one, good as new.

and yes, while you're at it, at 90k miles i'd get rid of the factory clutch as it'll likely need replaced in the next 30 or so thousand miles. and you'll be 90% of the way there when you take off the TOB.

#17 ·
/serious
You'll know if it's the TOB if you put your toe lightly on the clutch and the sound goes away. had it happen to me too with 60k miles. changed clutch and put on new one, good as new.
While this is true, all your doing is adding more wear to the clutch, and is not a recomended temporary fix. Haven't you ever heard that you should never drice yoru car with your foot on the clutch pedal? Thats essentially what you are doing here.
how big of a job is it to put in a new tob/clutch? i have heard you have to drop the trans... u know if thats true??
It's not to bad. I would recomend having someone help you (especially if you have never done any sort of work like this yourself before). You can either do it the hard way by taking the engine out and working at it from the front, or if you can jack the car up high enough, remove the driveshaft, transmission, and then the clutch with the TOB.
+ would a tob be a light tick or nock comingi right by where the clutch is... it happens in any gear even neutral while its rolling i think, and it goes away as soon as i push the clutch in... It also has a quiet chirp while its just sitting and as soon as i push the clutch in even just a hair it goes away
Mine "chirped" as I like to call it. It would do so in any gear + N, and it would accelerate with the RPM. Im almost certain that it's your TOB by the way your describing it.

I would definitely change out your clutch as well if you have a high amount of miles, and since you will be going through all that work anyway. You can get a decent clutch (almost every clutch kit out there will include a TOB) for less than $200, where if you try to just buy a TOB (I had trouble finding one so I would have had to go to Ford for it) at $70? I think.

#8 ·
+ would a tob be a light tick or nock comingi right by where the clutch is... it happens in any gear even neutral while its rolling i think, and it goes away as soon as i push the clutch in... It also has a quiet chirp while its just sitting and as soon as i push the clutch in even just a hair it goes away

#20 ·
RAM HD

Got a RAM as well. Really good price for the amount of hp/tq its rated at. I got mine an a special from AM and it was for a V6 so considerable cheaper.

#24 ·
Do yourself a favor and buy a Ford OEM TOB no matter what clutch you go with, especially spec. Most aftermarket clutches come with shitty TOB's. I recently put a Spec stage 2+ in my gt and the TOB made noise from day 1. I have a spec stage 2+ in the mach and it started making noise @ about 25,000 miles.

The install is fairly simple but it is a lot of work.

#26 ·
Well I must agree with that...I mentioned somewhere on here I believe that my TOB is already making noise again, but I believed that it was because something else was wrong causing my TOB's to go out, rather than my TOB being s POS..... Nice to know now....:(

#25 ·
^ + As high as you can count.

Ford Heavy Duty TOB is the best to go with. As said def. just replace the clutch with the new TOB. Yes, get your Flywheel resurfaced. Also it is a good idea to replace your rear main seal and pilot bearing. All of this will be easily accessible with the clutch removed. I have a SPEC Stage I and love it besides the TOB. Mine is also 3-way adjustable thanks to Steeda.

The job itself can be tough. With a lift, air tools, and an extra pair of hands it isn't too bad. Definitely would be much easier the second time around, but I'm the type of person who gets satisfaction out of saying my car drives and the clutch works and I installed it. Do it!

#27 ·
I just did a king cobra clutch install without a lift and it only took about 4.5 hours to do. So with a lift it should be rather easy. My question to you guys since we're on the topic already is: Is there a specific way to install the throwout bearing? I noticed there is the ridge on the part that goes into the fork and retaining clip, but I can't tell if there is any particular direction the ridge is supposed to go.

I ask because everything went smoothly, but when I put it back together with the new pilot bearing, throwout, clutch, and resurfaced flywheel the fork vibrates when the car is running and makes a terrible rattling sound. I took the tranny back off and checked to make sure the fork was on to pivot properly and that everything was greased. But the fork still vibrates and makes that terrible chatter. Any ideas? Thanks in advance

#29 ·
Stock fork? Maaaaaaybeee it just doesn't seat well with everything else being new? Possible I say, some recommend to replace the fork as well when you do a clutch swap. When I go back in to replace my TOB with a Ford HD I'm going to replace the fork as well. Probably just a stock replacement, but at least it will have only been with one set-up.

#30 ·
thanks, yeah I suppose it could be. The reason I replaced my clutch at all was the same reason this thread started. My TOB failed terribly, so I imagine the fork could have been damaged as well. I guess its time to pull the tranny again and take a look. I just can't believe there was something else broken.

But there is no special way to insert the throwout bearing into the fork? I just want to make sure I didn't do something stupid, since there is that raised part of the TOB where it is inserted into the fork.

#33 ·
I thought about it dragging but figured it was the tob... how can i tell if its dragging and also how can i adjust this... i have tried before to do the clutch adjustment that ppl have talked about on here...

something like while the cars off put it in first and pull the pedal back then pull it to neutral....

i cant remember exactly what it was

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.