Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
I Blumpkin Entirely Way Too Much
6,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that further down on this page is another throw out bearing question, but i dont want to thread jack, plus my question is slightly different then his.

When i built my motor i put the spec flywheel and spec stage 1 clutch (should have gone with stage 2, but 1 is doing just fine with grip, doesnt slip or anything.) but with in 500 miles it started clattering really bad. its to the point where its annoying the hell out of me.

Can you replace your throw out bearing with out pulling the entire clutch system? my clutch only has 5,000 mile on it or so. im sure you guys will say pull it and put a ram or atleast a stage 2 in it. but due to the new born baby and new house funds are limited and this clutch functions fine. its just the throw out thats messing up.

What are the options now?

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
did you use the spec TOB in ????

If there is one thing i have learned here...never use an aftermarket TOB

·
I Blumpkin Entirely Way Too Much
6,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea i used the bearing that came in the kit. it sounds like that was a mistake on my behalf. Can i just replace that peice or do i have to put a new clutch in it?

·
Registered
28 Posts
On my DSM it didn't matter if i used an OEM or Spec TOB, it always rattled when i had a SPEC clutch in there :( Hopefully it's different for mustangs

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Spec is very hit or miss. You either get a piece of garbage or a great clutch from them. There is no consistency in the quality of their stuff. You will hear from some who love Spec and you will hear from others who hate spec. With the stage one its pretty common to hate the Spec clutch kits. They just dont get it done. Regardless always use a Ford tob. the aftermarket guys try to slim the bearing up and use light weight stuff to try to save weight, but by doing so the bearing just dont hold up as well. The Ford ones are big, beefy, clunky, and last forever. They are "built Ford tough."

If you need to save money grab a new bearing and run that clutch into the ground. when it comes time for a new one look toward something more reliable like centerforce. Your only saving money if what you buy has the same lifespan as the expensive parts. Spec stage 1 does not last like a centerforce dual friction will.

·
mm's nitrous mod
12,988 Posts
most problem with people and spec is that people dont know how to break them in. the spec clutches dont like to be baby'd to be broke in, they like to have a fairly aggressive break in. spec's quality is great, it is consistent, nothing wrong with them at all.

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
...And I'm gonna say the exact opposite of sweet2kstang. I hate spec with a passion. I wasted $300 some odd dollars on their bullshit quality parts. It's not your TOB, it's your clutch. The clutch is garbage. To replace the TOB, you have to drop the transmission again.

Also, I'm using the RAM TOB in my car. I didn't have the money for the Ford TOB at the time. 18,000 miles later and not a single problem.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
...And I'm gonna say the exact opposite of sweet2kstang. I hate spec with a passion. I wasted $300 some odd dollars on their bullshit quality parts. It's not your TOB, it's your clutch. The clutch is garbage. To replace the TOB, you have to drop the transmission again.

Also, I'm using the RAM TOB in my car. I didn't have the money for the Ford TOB at the time. 18,000 miles later and not a single problem.
i havent heard anything bad about the ram bearings either, but i still wouldnt wanna take the chance. my centerforce bearing is garbage. the clutch is great, just a poopy bearing.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Fine I'll say it. The RAM bearing is garbage too..... Just replaced my clutch 2 months (ish) ago and my TOB is already whining again.

Love the clutch though, its great. Just wish I went with the OEM as stated above.

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Guess I must have hit it right then? I dunno. I did my clutch according to Ford's spec by their Workshop manual. I even used the grease they recommended...

·
mm's nitrous mod
12,988 Posts

i love spec clutches :dunno i would recommend them to anyone. i thought you were one of the centerforce nutswingers. i havent heard much of anything out of ram, but what i have heard have been decent reveiws.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
zinc02GT said:
Guess I must have hit it right then? I dunno. I did my clutch according to Ford's spec by their Workshop manual. I even used the grease they recommended...
Yeah I did on mine to. It's just hit and miss as stated above. It's just a love of work if you "miss" to try and replace it again shortly thereafter. That's why I recommended getting an OEM.

·
~C~, The Other White Meat!
1,623 Posts
:lol Everyone loves and hates everything............

Except for Centerforce. Love mine. No problems with it all.

·
April 2012 ROTM
4,739 Posts
FRPP is a nice heavy TOB...I like my centerforce alot...I dont however like the flywheel that I left unadressed when I changed the clutch lol so the tranny is on the floor...again lol

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
You didn't get it turned? ......

1 - 20 of 20 Posts