Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone used one of comp cams thumper cams ? im thinking about tryin one on my 89. everything ive heard has been good.

·
Powered by LSx tears
21,466 Posts
What your mods? If your engine is stock compression, a thumpr cam is no good for you, because the amount of overlap they have, requires a considerable amount of compression. Anything less than 10.5:1 and you'll have a turd, but they really like 11:1 or more. That cam profile is really no good, if you don't have some good aftermarket heads either. They suck with stock heads.

·
Registered
44 Posts
no not stock its a gay alphabet cam. was in it when i got it
Gay alphabet cam...i have an e that was also in my car when i bought it but it ran fairly well i thought, good safe cam IMO.....how does you car run with 205's isnt that a pretty big head for a 302??

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Gay alphabet cam...i have an e that was also in my car when i bought it but it ran fairly well i thought, good safe cam IMO.....how does you car run with 205's isnt that a pretty big head for a 302??
With an alphabet cam, yea they are. Get the right cam in there and match everything else up and no, it'll scream.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
With an alphabet cam, yea they are. Get the right cam in there and match everything else up and no, it'll scream.
and after alot of research the thumper is also gay. i went with the tfs stage 1 and im really impressed with it. great idle , increadable pull down low. i havent had a chance to really get into it. just finished it two nights ago and its been raining since. i went with the stage 1 because ill be running a 150 shot and what ive read the stage 1 works better. and there is no issue of valve clearence.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just stay away from the Comp XE 270 and above, unless you like to hear valvetrain clatter. Going to change out the xe274hr soon, what a p.o.s...

·
Registered
17 Posts
If you look at the (Rollin' Thunder Performer-Plus Hydraulic Roller) on edelbrocks site, it's an E303. Can't be that bad, whats the big hate with the ford cams? Should make a fun ride on the cheap, expecially when you get into an x or z cam.

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
If you look at the (Rollin' Thunder Performer-Plus Hydraulic Roller) on edelbrocks site, it's an E303. Can't be that bad, whats the big hate with the ford cams? Should make a fun ride on the cheap, expecially when you get into an x or z cam.
there out dated....they were made back in the early 90s, cam tech has come along way sinse then.....the point is...that theres better cams out there for the same money

·