Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at building a motor on the cheap and my local junkyard has Thunderbird and Mercury 5.0 motors sitting around. Block and heads for $125

What is different between the mid to late 80's t-bird 5.0 versus the mustang 5.0?

Would the T-bird motor be good for a cheap nos motor?

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
they are roller cammed motors but they have a different firing order then the mustang and they have cast pistons instead of forged, i put one in my car out of a thunderbird to get my car inspected and bone stock with a cheap alum intake and my 750 carb thru the stock headers and 4 cat h pipe i ran a 14.0 , my buddy pulled one out of a cougar and changed the cam and with an rpm intake , 750 carb, and a 175 shot of nitrous was running in the high 11s in his 85 gt with both a t 5 and a c4 and 410s with slicks

·
Registered
81 Posts
wow why are you guys running such huge carbs on your 5.0's. thats wayyy to much carb for those motors. even a 650 is too big i bet if you kicked it down to a 600 you would still run the same times and not dump so much freaking fuel

·
Registered
975 Posts
i just bought a running/driving 86 t-bird for $100. fiance's step-dad wanted it out of the yard. its a speed density motor. how hard is it to change from speed density to mass air. Can i change the firing order to that of a mustang 5.0?? Im kinda new at this pushrod engine thing. i used to be a mod motor guy.

oh and i want to keep the EFI.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts