Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
More average than ever
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For quite some time my mach's been making a ticking noise when I turn the steering wheel in either direction. Especially when I turn it slowly. I may have made a thread about this a while ago but I'm not sure. I remember someone said it could be the brushings, but what brushings?And I cannot pinpoint the exact location of the tick. I would make a video to help, but I'm in Florida ATM and my mach is back in Indiana.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I believe they meant bushings. Maybe steering rack bushings? Does it tick when the car is sitting still and you turn the steering wheel? OR does it tick only while driving and turning the steering wheel?

·
More average than ever
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea bushings and I def notice it when sitting still and it does it when in motion but not as noticeable as when stationary. Could be because of other noise or not paying that much attention. But I notice it the most when I'm not moving.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Okay. I'm not sure what that could be. Most likely it's something in the steering and/or suspension systems. Maybe you can take it in to respectable shop and let them diagnose it. It could be something easy and cheap to fix.

·
Registered
99 Posts
You could place the front of the car on jack stands, with the front wheels in the air then, get under there and have someone turn the steering wheel. You could listen and try to pinpoint the exact location. Then, you can go from there.

·
More average than ever
2,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update:
I blasted the steering rack bushings with lithium grease. After a few days the noise is almost completely gone. Good bandaid fix for those of you with the same problem as me. Still going to replace the bushings, but at least the sound is almost gone.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts